Best Coaches Play Their Best 5-7 players

CNFn

The best coaches in high school tend to play their best 5-7 players for most of the game, barring their getting into foul trouble. Some coaches have the unfortunate attititude that they need to play all the players suited up (sometimes 10-15), which seriously disturbs the "rhythm of the game". Also they never seem to get the right players playing together and gelling. No wonder since they hardly play together. Sadly some coaches use substitution as a way to "punish" their players for missing a shot, fouling etc. This is probably the best way to destroy your team confidence :angry:

The JV and Freshman games, plus AAU are where you get your younger guys experience, not Varsity games. Some coaches figure it out and others don't. With 8 minute quarters you can hardly afford not to have your best 5 out there "all the time". Watch and see how the best teams generally sub the least (boys and girls).

Put your best 5 guys or girls out there and let em play. Most teams are fortunate to have 5 good players. If you have em maximize their playing time or face the consequences.

:( When any of your best 5 players are on the bench you are probably losing something! Simple math. Play politics or do the math. :thumb:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best coaches in high school tend to play their best 5-7 players for most of the game, barring their getting into foul trouble. Some coaches have the unfortunate attititude that they need to play all the players suited up (sometimes 10-15), which seriously disturbs the "rhythm of the game". Also they never seem to get the right players playing together and gelling. No wonder since they hardly play together. Sadly some coaches use substitution as a way to "punish" their players for missing a shot, fouling etc. This is probably the best way to destroy your team confidence :angry:

The JV and Freshman games, plus AAU are where you get your younger guys experience, not Varsity games. Some coaches figure it out and others don't. With 8 minute quarters you can hardly afford not to have your best 5 out there "all the time". Watch and see how the best teams generally sub the least (boys and girls).

Put your best 5 guys or girls out there and let em play. Most teams are fortunate to have 5 good players. If you have em maximize their playing time or face the consequences.

:( When any of your best 5 players are on the bench you are probably losing something! Simple math. Play politics or do the math. :thumb:

So true and well said. Especially when you get to the post season you better have figured out your best 5-7. Also they better have the endurance to play the whole game. Problem is most coaches are not Math teachers :)

I agree to a point! I believe that if you are on the Varisty then you are good enough to play. I do believe that subing in your bench will only help out to rest your starters. If you have a bench that isn't worth a darn then they should not be there. If you run like most of the elite teams do then you will see them playing 7-10 players a game. Run a team to death and win the 4th because of depth.

You should should be coaches since you have it all figured out!

That is a cheap shot. He was observing what winning coaches do with player rotations; not claiming some revelation of his own.

It is a good observation. Using players off the bench is an art the best coaches practice well. Teams that consistently under-perform, year in and year out ARE often marked by a constant bewildering array of subsitiutions.

That is a cheap shot. He was observing what winning coaches do with player rotations; not claiming some revelation of his own.

It is a good observation. Using players off the bench is an art the best coaches practice well. Teams that consistently under-perform, year in and year out ARE often marked by a constant bewildering array of subsitiutions.

Very well put, Very well put

Thank you and well said yourself. It was just an observation and not an attempt to tell coaches how to coach.

I have just observed too many games where the coach has lost track of time and allowed the opposing team to build an insurmountable lead while their best players are on the bench. Lack of time management and poor substitution are the best ways to ruin a good team. Some coaches have it and most don't.

I still say play your best 5 and let them stay as long as you can, otherwise you are losing something. Subs tend to turn the ball over more , play poor defense and make ill advised shots since they tend to rush it. Just an observation, but it seems to hold true. The art of game management is rarely taught and poorly understood. Most games are lost in the "thick of it" , when a coach lets the game get away from him unknowingly. Less and better substitution is the KEY.

Thank you and well said yourself. It was just an observation and not an attempt to tell coaches how to coach.

I have just observed too many games where the coach has lost track of time and allowed the opposing team to build an insurmountable lead while their best players are on the bench. Lack of time management and poor substitution are the best ways to ruin a good team. Some coaches have it and most don't.

I still say play your best 5 and let them stay as long as you can, otherwise you are losing something. Subs tend to turn the ball over more , play poor defense and make ill advised shots since they tend to rush it. Just an observation, but it seems to hold true. The art of game management is rarely taught and poorly understood. Most games are lost in the "thick of it" , when a coach lets the game get away from him unknowingly. Less and better substitution is the KEY.

Another KEY. Coaches rarely use all their time outs in high school basketball.

Use them properly and space them out and you will sub alot less.

Watch the college and pro coaches and they regularly use them to change the flow of the game and to give their 5 starters time to rest.

How and When to use TIMEOUTS is another art of the game! If you don't use all of them , chances are your time management is OFF.

The best coaches in high school tend to play their best 5-7 players for most of the game, barring their getting into foul trouble. Some coaches have the unfortunate attititude that they need to play all the players suited up (sometimes 10-15), which seriously disturbs the "rhythm of the game". Also they never seem to get the right players playing together and gelling. No wonder since they hardly play together. Sadly some coaches use substitution as a way to "punish" their players for missing a shot, fouling etc. This is probably the best way to destroy your team confidence :unsure:

:lol: When any of your best 5 players are on the bench you are probably losing something! Simple math. Play politics or do the math. :(

I respectfully disagree. Going into this season Oakland was predicted by most to finish 4th to 5th in our district due to the fact that we lost 3 senior starters( 2 of which signed to go to college and one of which who went to a prep school), but this season they have overachieved in large part to the fact that Oakland consistently play 9-12 guys every night. Sure, Oakland usually keeps its best 2 players on the court for most of the time, but to be able to play so many and be productive only makes a better team because it increases the chances of having a player step up on any certain night and be able to lead their team to victory

In years past Oakland hasnt been able to press or be as agressive defensively due to their lack of depth, so the impact felt is all across the board, so more often than not, the greater the depth, the better off your team is

CNFn,

Those are some good points. I agree and disagree. I have seen it work quite well depending on the talent level and type of system that the team uses. The coach at Gatlinburg-Pittman before the formation of Pigeon Forge took many of his players away would rotate 5 at a time and pressure the ball from tip off to the end of the game. It was hard to distinguish between the starters and the second group, and he was quite successful at it.

I coached at the high school level for many years and never had the luxury of 10 players that were that equal in talent to be able to play that way. I did however try to play 8-10 players at least a little bit, usually in the second quarter. It builds depth, and makes all feel as though they are a part of the team, which in turn puts a little hop in their step during practices. Very seldom do you lose a game in the second quarter. Realistically though it is hard to play more than 8 players at the high school level and be successful with limited talent.

I do not know if your posts here are referring to the team that I think you follow, but if they are keep in mind that unless they have changed this year the head coach does not make the substitutions, the assistant does. I sat in the stands when my son played and tried to make sense of the pattern of substitutions which were in my opinion bizarre at times, and seemed to disrupt the flow of the game. One thing is for sure if you pull a kid after missing a shot regardless if it was for missing the shot or not you will kill his confidence and make him reluctant to shoot.