Is this a down year for the Chattanooga Area?

bramblehood

It seems to me that in the years past Chattanooga has provided some strong teams come tournement time, but this year the whole area seems weaker. With Howard, Tyner, and CCS usually being powerhouses in the area, but Howard is the only one out of those three having a solid season. If it wasn't for Grace and Temple the Chattanooga area would be weaker than ever before. What do yall think?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so. Grace is more talented than ever, but most teams (see Howard, Brainerd, McCallie, Temple, Baylor, CCS, Lookout Valley, Ooltewah) that are usually very strong are unusually weak. I am not saying Temple is bad, because they are one of the top teams in the city, but they are much weaker than usual. East Ridge is improved this year, Grace is solid, and Red Bank is solid as well.

Bramblehood, just because your CCS Chargers aren't have a good season, doesn't mean all of Chattanooga is down.

but just because your grace golden eagles are having a good season doesn't mean the chattanooga area isn't down...i would say the area has been on a decline the last couple of years, but apparently there is a lot of young talent around that will hopefully boost the overall talent level between teams in the area for the next few years

To be honest with you I think Chattanooga basketball has been down for about the last 5 years. yes you good teams here and there but as a whole it has dropped off drastically compared to the 80's and 90' it's totally different

what do you think might be the reason? I agree and think it might be an overall lack of fan and school support. i'm not talking about games like temple vs. grace, but i've been to some temple, arts & sciences, and other area games this year and they didn't have near the crowds they used to in the 80s and 90s.

what do you think might be the reason? I agree and think it might be an overall lack of fan and school support. i'm not talking about games like temple vs. grace, but i've been to some temple, arts & sciences, and other area games this year and they didn't have near the crowds they used to in the 80s and 90s.

I have said this before and I will say it again there are too many darn schools in Chattanooga. All of the Talent spread out around the city so it seems to me that every team has one good player and 4 scrubs. with the exception of the upper tier teams like Temple Grace Mcminn Central... just to name a few. Look at the district that CSAS is in those teams are terrible. when I was at CSAS our District consisted of GRace Temple Lookout Valley S. Pitt Sale Creek CCS . Now you have Silverdale Richard Hardy... etc its just too many schools

I dont know if it is down, it may just be that new schools have better teams. East Ridge is usually an avg team, they are having a good year. Red Bank usually another avg team is having a great year. Grace is having a good year when CCS and Temple usually are the best in A. Temple is having another good year. Just because teams like Brainerd are down doesnt mean the whole city is. But AAA may be a little down, AA is about normal, and A is up.

I have said this before and I will say it again there are too many darn schools in Chattanooga. All of the Talent spread out around the city so it seems to me that every team has one good player and 4 scrubs. with the exception of the upper tier teams like Temple Grace Mcminn Central... just to name a few. Look at the district that CSAS is in those teams are terrible. when I was at CSAS our District consisted of GRace Temple Lookout Valley S. Pitt Sale Creek CCS . Now you have Silverdale Richard Hardy... etc its just too many schools

Now about having alot of schools, you may very well be correct there. Talent is spread out. But I guess you could say that in every larger city that has private schools.

I dont know if it is down, it may just be that new schools have better teams. East Ridge is usually an avg team, they are having a good year. Red Bank usually another avg team is having a great year. Grace is having a good year when CCS and Temple usually are the best in A. Temple is having another good year. Just because teams like Brainerd are down doesnt mean the whole city is. But AAA may be a little down, AA is about normal, and A is up.

Now about having alot of schools, you may very well be correct there. Talent is spread out. But I guess you could say that in every larger city that has private schools.

Think back a few years ago when Chattanooga basketball was considered second best behind Memphis. You had good teams likeBrainerd, Howard Tyner, City,CSAS, Temple,Chattanooga Christian, Lookout Valley, Central, Cleveland, BradleyCentral Baylor, McCallie. Year in and year out these teams were good and had the potential to really make some noise in their classifications, They all had division 1 caliber talent on their teams(I can name names if you need me too). You still have good teams but not dominant teams with the exception of maybe two. Like I said earlier it seems to me that everyone in the areas has 1 or two good players(with the exception of maybe two or three teams) surrounded by sub par talent. I think that is because of the addition of all of the private schools in the area. You dont have loaded teams like you used to have

I think so. Grace is more talented than ever, but most teams (see Howard, Brainerd, McCallie, Temple, Baylor, CCS, Lookout Valley, Ooltewah) that are usually very strong are unusually weak. I am not saying Temple is bad, because they are one of the top teams in the city, but they are much weaker than usual. East Ridge is improved this year, Grace is solid, and Red Bank is solid as well.

Ooltewah has come a long way since the beginning of the season. Grace has gotten better even reuniting with Nick. Grace has Carter inside and Davis with those 3's. Ooltewah plays them this coming tuesday at the nest. Who is going to stop David Dance from hitting his unbelieveable 3's, and who is going to watch up to Carter? Come out and see who will bring it.