What happened to respect?

coachsbigfan

Does anyone else see this? I hope I'ts just coincidence that I have seen so many incidents. Someone please tell me that it's just me. I would hate to think that girls everywhere show such a lack of respect for their coaches, teammates, and school. I have a unique view into this. I am not only a coach, (not of basketball) but I am married to a coach, (not of basketball either) and I am also a parent so I've got that angle too. The girls I've seen have zero respect for anyone, and their parents aren't doing anything to help. Even if you don't have a response to this, please pay attention. As a coach, respect your girls, and DEMAND respect back. As a parent, set an example by respecting your child's coach yourself, respect that your child has chosen to be an athlete, and DEMAND the respect of your child. Too often a child sees the lack of respect parents have for coaches and it translates into the kid not respecting the coach either. If they can't respect the coach, they can't respect officials, teammates, or the game all together.

Does anyone else see this? I hope I'ts just coincidence that I have seen so many incidents. Someone please tell me that it's just me. I would hate to think that girls everywhere show such a lack of respect for their coaches, teammates, and school. I have a unique view into this. I am not only a coach, (not of basketball) but I am married to a coach, (not of basketball either) and I am also a parent so I've got that angle too. The girls I've seen have zero respect for anyone, and their parents aren't doing anything to help. Even if you don't have a response to this, please pay attention. As a coach, respect your girls, and DEMAND respect back. As a parent, set an example by respecting your child's coach yourself, respect that your child has chosen to be an athlete, and DEMAND the respect of your child. Too often a child sees the lack of respect parents have for coaches and it translates into the kid not respecting the coach either. If they can't respect the coach, they can't respect officials, teammates, or the game all together.

I most likely should not respond to this, because I am not a coach but have been. I was always taught to respect my elders and when it came to my parents, I did not have a problem with it because I trusted them and I knew they loved me and would be on my side no matter what. But as I grew older, I found out that not all people older than me deserved respect and that some of them were just flat out jerks. So, with this in mind, the old saying that "Respect Is Earned Not Given" makes a lot more sense.

I guess I'm from the old school, but I can remember when a coach demanded you listen and do what they say but they earned your trust first by showing you they were in your corner for the long haul and respect for that coach naturally followed. The Bear and the Wizard are two good examples of this kind of coaching. They both demanded you do as they said or leave, but a better friend and trusted partner a player never had.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!!!!!!

kw

It has been my experience with the kids that do not show respect, it is because that have not been taught what it means to respect others. As has been said, this all starts at home. Of course, some of them have no home from which to learn. I guess it then falls back to the coach. Also, a player must have respect for themselves before they can respect others. Years ago, when a player went down on the floor, someone from the opposing teams would offer to help them up. Now, that happens very seldom. No matter how competitive a player is, that should show some respect for their opponent. Sometimes its not very easy when you offer a hand to someone and they turn away. Players have to be taught no matter the circumstance, you have to be the better person and show respect. It will probably never get back to where it was, but hopefully it will change for the better very soon. Just drive down the road and see how much respect the other driver shows you. Here's hoping that the coaches can instill a little bit of respect in their players. Lead by example coaches.

this is one of the best posts i have ever read