what is a coach?

whoami123456789

A coach is the head of the team. They call timeouts if the game is getting out of hand. They stand up in the game and cheer on the team. If someone is taken out of the game they tell them what they did wrong and what they could do to make it better. A coach is NOT someone who sits there in a game and lets the other team hit 5 threes in a role and not even stand up. They are there for their team if hard times. I think a coach will go out of his/her way to help make the team better. A coach is someone a player is supposed to look up to and know they can trust them. (What do you think?)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think someone has sour grapes! A coach doesn't have to stand up to be effective. Coaching styles vary from one individual to another. What works for one coach doesn't necessarily work for another. As for the situation with the 5 threes, you don't give enough information. At what point in the game did this occur? What was the score? Did he/she actually have a timeout left? Was he/she trying to provide a lesson to one or more of the players? There are times when players aren't responding to a coach or they act as if they know more than the coach and some coaches will let them get embarrased (like having 5 threes in a row popped on you) so that the players will understand what the coach is expecting.

Not knowing the situation, it is difficult to determine if this is an effective coach or not. My guess is that you are just unhappy because you aren't getting enough playing time or you were the one that had the 5 threes put in your face. In any case, my advice to you is quit complaining about the coach. If you are on the team, step up your game so that you get more playing time. If you are a parent of one of the players, show support for the team instead of trying to downgrade the coach. To borrow a statement from my good friend Bill#49, if you don't like the way the coach is doing, "go to school, get a teaching degree and get you a whistle" so you can make a difference instead of getting on here typing about it.

Ok! It was at the beginning of the game first period and they were hitting three's it was like that was all they were taking was three's. And the thing is our coach used to stand up and cheer for us but it's like he had giving up on us. And their were not even any timeouts used from either team. And really you really have no idea what it's like. And yes i get playing to I start. The only thing that bothers me and im not complaining is that he used to care and i not saying he just don't care anymore he just don't try.

Ok! It was at the beginning of the game first period and they were hitting three's it was like that was all they were taking was three's. And the thing is our coach used to stand up and cheer for us but it's like he had giving up on us. And their were not even any timeouts used from either team. And really you really have no idea what it's like. And yes i get playing to I start. The only thing that bothers me and im not complaining is that he used to care and i not saying he just don't care anymore he just don't try.

Let me make sure I got this right.

1. You start.

2. A team hit 5 threes in a row on your team to start the game.

3. You are blaming your coach.

How about you on the court doing something to stop the birrage of threes? :lol:

Let me make sure I got this right.

1. You start.

2. A team hit 5 threes in a row on your team to start the game.

3. You are blaming your coach.

How about you on the court doing something to stop the birrage of threes? :rolleyes:

Great post Solomon! The coach can't play in the game; the kids have to play! The coach apparently takes the losses and the kids take the victories. Kids have to be accountable, too! :thumb:

Man oh man! This is a subject that has so many different situations involved, that it will be discussed until the Lord comes.

A Coach is a teacher, a leader, a friend, a father or mother figure, a shoulder to cry on when a kid is down, and a team member to high 5 when things are good.

Everyone everywhere expects their coach to become the winningest coach in world history.

Guess what! There are no ties in basketball! For every coach, player, and fan that enjoys a win, there is another that deals with a loss. It's how you let wins and losses affect you that sets you apart.

Is the winning coach always a better coach? I will let you ponder that question and draw your own conclusions.

I have seen so many coaches, at every level of the game, that become so obsessed with winning, that they forget all about the teaching and character building. I have seen many others than can win or lose with class.

When you add in 12 to 15 players that are sure they should be starting, (as long as they don't have to play defense or work on conditioning) and 20 to 30 parents that are convinced they could do a better job (if they weren't so busy elsewhere), I am left wondering what kind of person wants that kind of public responsibility & scrutiny in their job.

In my opinion. it takes a very special person to be a good coach. They are KINGS win their players respond and win, but they are DOGS when their talent pool is not as good as the competition.

Coaches have to be self confident enough, and insightful enough, to ride the ups and downs without losing sight of who they are as individuals.

I wish you well young man! If you have a problem with your coach, try talking with him about it. You might discover that he is human too, with worries and concerns just like yours. He might even have a solution, if you and your teammates are willing to listen.

It might not make you go undefeated the rest of the season, but it just might make you understand, appreciate, and enjoy the game more.

Man oh man! This is a subject that has so many different situations involved, that it will be discussed until the Lord comes.

A Coach is a teacher, a leader, a friend, a father or mother figure, a shoulder to cry on when a kid is down, and a team member to high 5 when things are good.

Everyone everywhere expects their coach to become the winningest coach in world history.

Guess what! There are no ties in basketball! For every coach, player, and fan that enjoys a win, there is another that deals with a loss. It's how you let wins and losses affect you that sets you apart.

Is the winning coach always a better coach? I will let you ponder that question and draw your own conclusions.

I have seen so many coaches, at every level of the game, that become so obsessed with winning, that they forget all about the teaching and character building. I have seen many others than can win or lose with class.

When you add in 12 to 15 players that are sure they should be starting, (as long as they don't have to play defense or work on conditioning) and 20 to 30 parents that are convinced they could do a better job (if they weren't so busy elsewhere), I am left wondering what kind of person wants that kind of public responsibility & scrutiny in their job.

In my opinion. it takes a very special person to be a good coach. They are KINGS win their players respond and win, but they are DOGS when their talent pool is not as good as the competition.

Coaches have to be self confident enough, and insightful enough, to ride the ups and downs without losing sight of who they are as individuals.

I wish you well young man! If you have a problem with your coach, try talking with him about it. You might discover that he is human too, with worries and concerns just like yours. He might even have a solution, if you and your teammates are willing to listen.

It might not make you go undefeated the rest of the season, but it just might make you understand, appreciate, and enjoy the game more.

GREAT POST!!!!!

I think someone has sour grapes! A coach doesn't have to stand up to be effective. Coaching styles vary from one individual to another. What works for one coach doesn't necessarily work for another. As for the situation with the 5 threes, you don't give enough information. At what point in the game did this occur? What was the score? Did he/she actually have a timeout left? Was he/she trying to provide a lesson to one or more of the players? There are times when players aren't responding to a coach or they act as if they know more than the coach and some coaches will let them get embarrased (like having 5 threes in a row popped on you) so that the players will understand what the coach is expecting.

Not knowing the situation, it is difficult to determine if this is an effective coach or not. My guess is that you are just unhappy because you aren't getting enough playing time or you were the one that had the 5 threes put in your face. In any case, my advice to you is quit complaining about the coach. If you are on the team, step up your game so that you get more playing time. If you are a parent of one of the players, show support for the team instead of trying to downgrade the coach. To borrow a statement from my good friend Bill#49, if you don't like the way the coach is doing, "go to school, get a teaching degree and get you a whistle" so you can make a difference instead of getting on here typing about it.

a coach is 11aa coach. coach brian bramlett he has brought a losing team to the top is district and has the fans goin crazy with our student section so he is number 1

Guest dare_2_dream

A coach draws up a game plan, the players have to execute it. And honestly, what can a coach do when a team lights you up from beyond three point line? I think the scoreboard says more than he ever could. Its like my former coach used to say all the time, "where is your pride?" Ask yourself that question next time a team hits 5 threes in a row on you, and then stink it up and stop them. The coach calling a timeout isnt going to make you play defense or stop your guy from scoring on you. A coach yelling at you isnt going to make the other player feel sorry for you and take it easy on you. It all comes back to the players, its their responsibility to stop players from scoring, all the coach can do is put the players out there and draw up a gameplan. Its up to you and your teammates to execute it. No coach will ever give up on his team, last year our coach used to take a timeout and say "there is nothing i can draw up for you to do, your just getting outplayed and its pathetic" and then he would stroll back to his seat on the bench and not say another word the entire timeout. He would just sit there and see if we responded to what he said on the court. It made us feel as if he didnt think we were trying and that he had given up hope but then we realized, it was his way of challenging us and making us earn his respect.

Sorry about the book I just wrote but I had to speak my mind.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTELY GREAT POST!!! YOU MAKE COACHES FEEL IMPORTANT! GOOD JOB!! Edited by Russ098

While I agree that the players have some responsibility and accountability for their play, I would argue that MOST of the responsibility and accountability for how a team/individual plays belongs to the coaches---especially at the HS level. It is the coach who makes all the key decisions (not the players). The coach chooses who will be on the team and what is expected of everyone (both on and off the court). It is the coach who decides when, what & how they will practice, who and when each player gets into a game, what position that player will play, the plays they will run, when most (if not all) of the timeouts will be called, and what the team should value (team v individual play, defense v offense, fundamentals v flash, winning v developing, etc.). The coach sets the tone (either intentionally or unintentionally) and makes it clear everyday by what they DO (more than what they say). The players (especially HS age) will always respond to that lead. ALL of the things a coach says he or she values as important will be tested soon enough by one or more players. How the coach consistently responds to these tests lets everyone know what (and who) the Coach truly values.

I agree that the coach can't be on the floor to take the shots or make the stops but the team/individual will usually play like they practice and that goes back to the coach. If they aren't playing like he wants them to then he needs to change his practices. If they lack confidence then he needs to build confidence. If they lack fundamental skills then emphasize them in practice. If they don't understand what the coach wants then the coach needs to communicate differently. (Insanity has been defined as doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result). BTW, isn't ironic that a player will catch a lot of flack for quitting the team during the season but nothing is said to the coach who often quits coaching during a game?

If he doesn't have the level of talent that he would like then he needs to adjust his game strategy to fit his talent level and/or he needs to recruit better from his student body.

Good coaches will make average players good and good players great while bad coaches will have a reverse impact. I think it is also interesting that we expect the kids to work hard on improving their game but we don't ever seem to expect that the Coach will work hard on improving their coaching knowledge and skill. (A lot of these coaches would be more successful if they could ever get it through their heads that yelling the obvious at a player or team isn't coaching.)