Jackie Pickel (BCHS)

HUCK

Does anyone know the extent of her injury?

From www.clevelandbanner.com

Editor's note: The Bradley Central Bearettes fell to Tyner on Saturday night, 53-45. The Bearettes leading scorer, Jackie Pickel, was injured early in the game and was undergoing oral surgery at press time. Complete coverage will be in Monday's edition of the Banner.

Edited by HUCK

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You think she will have to play with a facemask?

According to Coach Glasner and Jackie's mother--She had a front tooth broken in half and it had to be replaced. Another tooth was pushed back but they thought it could be set back in place. She also was going to the hospital for stitches in her mouth and nose. The nose is not broken. She may also have suffered a slight concussion so they were holding her for observation. She had earlier taken a big hit the previous game before this. Her injury against Tyner occured in the very early going of the game on Saturday as she and a couple of other girls were fighting for a loose ball. She is not expected to miss any games but will be wearing a mouthpiece the rest of the season to protect her new and injured tooth. Her mom mentioned that she may require a root canal at a later date. Coach Glasner mentioned that she'll probably have two black eyes.

Ironically, she and Tyner's Katrich Williams, who the Bearettes were battling on Saturday night, were both selected to speak at the Fellowship of Christian Athletes banquet in Chattanooga on Monday night where John Smoltz is the keynote speaker.

I'm sure Jackie will be there because she is a gamer and there's no way that she'll miss something of this magnitude where she has the opportunity to witness about her faith and beliefs.

Edited by baconbreath

I was wondering why Tyner won.

Of course, no way, it couldn't be because Tyner played better. Players miss games all the time, for injury, and miss large portions of games due to foul trouble constantly. I'm surprised any of the Bradley teams ever lose a game other than when playing each other, from the posts on here. If they do, it's usually the coaches' fault. If your logic is correct, that proves the argument that Bradley is a "one-player team" like I've read on here before (I don't believe that), since nobody could step up to beat a seven-loss Class AA team. I'm guessing Bradley had 1,500 students, 750 girls, Tyner has a third of those numbers. One player missing, even a talented Division I signee, shouldn't mean an automatic loss anytime the competition is at least respectable, or pretty tough as Tyner was. Your comment is really degrading to a well-coached, hustling Tyner team, and actually degrading to the other girls at Bradley.

Any coach of the game knows that if you lose a player, you lose chemistry. In a sense, you could call it shell shock in knowing that your floor general is down. Can you explain the 26 point loss early in the year that Bradley put on Tyner? Sing your praises now because the only reason Tyner was added to the schedule is to produce a couple of easy wins for a coach that has had problems with producing W's because of a tough district. Tyner did get the win, but more importantly Pickel isn't going to miss any games. Tyner better worry about getting past the first round of region!

Of course, no way, it couldn't be because Tyner played better. Players miss games all the time, for injury, and miss large portions of games due to foul trouble constantly. I'm surprised any of the Bradley teams ever lose a game other than when playing each other, from the posts on here. If they do, it's usually the coaches' fault. If your logic is correct, that proves the argument that Bradley is a "one-player team" like I've read on here before (I don't believe that), since nobody could step up to beat a seven-loss Class AA team. I'm guessing Bradley had 1,500 students, 750 girls, Tyner has a third of those numbers. One player missing, even a talented Division I signee, shouldn't mean an automatic loss anytime the competition is at least respectable, or pretty tough as Tyner was. Your comment is really degrading to a well-coached, hustling Tyner team, and actually degrading to the other girls at Bradley.

..Very well put, Indian...I couldn't have articulated this any better!!!