Holmes a finalist for Valdosta Job

yellowdog

Georgia High School News:

From the Valdosta, Georgia Newspaper. You may remember Roger Holmes when he coached in Middle Tennessee.

Roger Holmes of Dublin was widely believed to be another finalist. On the field, Holmes has gone 38-11 in four seasons at Dublin (the Irish went 3-7 in 2003, but in his other three seasons there, they are 35-4), with a state runner-up finish in 2002.

The coach selected was Rick Tomberlin, the head coach at Washington County. He was named the 14th head coach in Valdosta High’s illustrious history Monday night at a specially called Board of Education meeting.

Edited by yellowdog

A lot of interesting tidbits came out of the Valdosta job search.

Bob Beatty, head coach at Trinity (KY), told the Louisville paper that he turned down the job at Valdosta.

Rush Propst, head coach at Hoover (AL), was said to have been the front runner for the VHS job in December, per a piece on the Hoover website.

There was even a post on this site in which someone said that the job was Andy McCollum's to accept or reject.

I'm not sure I buy into all of the press that has been posted about the Valdosta job. Methinks some of the comments in the media may have been put out there to stroke some egos or gain favorable consideration from current administrations.

Edited by rollredroll

I think the big problem facing the winningst high school football team in the nation is that their neighbor Lowndes County is the beneficary of the urban growth in the county. Lowndes County won the state football championship the past two years.

Lowndes County's stadium is the huge stadium one sees from the Interstate when passing Valdosta headed to Florida.

Valdosta is having a very tough time competing with Lowndes County -- that has been why they have been through a number of coaches the past few years.

Lowndes also has about 2800 students compared to the 1600 or so at VHS. The quality of education has gotten so poor at VHS that people move to the county just so their kids go to Lowndes. Valwood, a small GISA school, has also become a much more popular alternative and is groing substanially. VHS has a lot of work to do if they want to return to the high level at which they used to compete.

Lowndes also has about 2800 students compared to the 1600 or so at VHS. The quality of education has gotten so poor at VHS that people move to the county just so their kids go to Lowndes. Valwood, a small GISA school, has also become a much more popular alternative and is groing substanially. VHS has a lot of work to do if they want to return to the high level at which they used to compete.

Thanks for more insight on what is going on down there. I wouldn't want to be the new coach there. I remember when Nick Hyder (in Carson-Newman Hall of Fame - '56) was hired. When he woke up at his new house the first morning, there were wildcat paw prints painted on his driveway and they stretched all the way to the football field.

Thanks for more insight on what is going on down there. I wouldn't want to be the new coach there. I remember when Nick Hyder (in Carson-Newman Hall of Fame - '56) was hired. When he woke up at his new house the first morning, there were wildcat paw prints painted on his driveway and they stretched all the way to the football field.

It used to be a tradition that all current Wildcat lettermen have a yellow wildcat paw painted in front of their driveway. I'm not sure if this tradition is still carried out.