ATTENTION REFS-HEADS AND FEET ARE NOT CONNECTED

bball4all

I am curious about something. Is it just me or are refs calling more walks for head fakes this year? I have seen several games recently where the refs have called players for walks, when the players feet never move just their heads. I am beginning to believe refs think all players heads and feet are connected. I am not saying that there are not some cases where a player actually commits a walk, but the majority of the time they do not. To all the refs who read this, PLEASE do not assume anything, if you don't see their feet move, do not call the walk!!!! What does everyone else think?

:thumb: Great post. I have seen that a few times myself this season.

I've read the thread about bad officiating the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I think it's just getting worse and worse. I've seen about every bad call imaginable this year...including the ref giving the ball to the wrong team to inbound a couple of times.

I've seen refs call walking when a player makes a simple jab step - nothing else, just a jab step - and a walk is called before any other move is made and the pivot foot has not moved at all. Some of these guys officiate like they not only have never played the game; but like they've never seen or even heard of the game. But I think I have officially seen the worst referee in history at a game in Memphis. I don't remember who was playing, but it was a woman ref. (Typically, I think sometimes women refs do better than some of the men because it is more likely they have played at some level before and many male refs have not). Anyway, she was so bad that the other ref (this game had only two refs) had to make calls on the baseline from half court (when she was on the baseline) because she would not blow her whistle. One time, he blew the whistle and she made a gesture like she was asking "what did I miss?" Maybe she was asking "Now that you made the call, what do I do?" I don't think all refs are bad, but every part of the state has more than its share of bad ones. <_<

Here's my opinion for what its worth. First, all refs make some bad calls, thats just part of the game. However, the biggest problem as I see it is there is absolutely no consistency from one game to the next. You may go to a gym where the refs call every little thing, two days later you're playing in another gym where the girls are beating the heck out of each other and nothing gets called. The poor girls dont know how aggressive they can play because they never know how close the refs are going to call the games. There needs to be more consistency in what is and is not going to be called

My daughter has been called twice for traveling this year when she slipped trying to make a cut and ended up on her knees. Now, I know getting up from your knees is traveling, BUT SHE KEPT HER DRIBBLE THE ENTIRE TIME!! I guess the refs calling those two games had never seen a player capable of dribbling on their knees, and just went ahead and blew their whistles.

The Highlander

In watching the Lady Rangers, I've seen just the opposite. Some walks have been called, but we have a couple who literally walk almost every time they get the ball; a little "hop" as it wer. :thumb: If anything, I think the using the thigh or hip to control, or slow the dribble is a practice that has been allowed for much too long. But what would you expect a near-fifty year-old to say?

I get as upset as the next guy at the refs, but you should try doing it a few times before you get too loud about it. Missed calls are just a part of the game and sometimes they can change the course of a game but rarely do they decide a game. Most missed calls are judgement calls so it's hard to say they just flat missed them verses they just made the call they deemed right in that instance.

Inconsistency is ok from one game to the next but not from one half to the other. Any good coach is going to tell their players to play up to the way the refs are calling. If they are letting it go then go for it. If they are calling it close then watch your fouls etc...

There are things that I just don't accept from a ref. They are:

(1) Not being in position to make a call and thus missing it.

(2) Getting personally involved with the crowd. I don't care what the crowd says etc... Just get the administration to remove the spectator if it is warranted and there is no reason for a stare down etc..

(3) Making the game all about them instead of the players that are actually playing the game.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!

kw

I get as upset as the next guy at the refs, but you should try doing it a few times before you get too loud about it. Missed calls are just a part of the game and sometimes they can change the course of a game but rarely do they decide a game. Most missed calls are judgement calls so it's hard to say they just flat missed them verses they just made the call they deemed right in that instance.

Inconsistency is ok from one game to the next but not from one half to the other. Any good coach is going to tell their players to play up to the way the refs are calling. If they are letting it go then go for it. If they are calling it close then watch your fouls etc...

There are things that I just don't accept from a ref. They are:

(1) Not being in position to make a call and thus missing it.

(2) Getting personally involved with the crowd. I don't care what the crowd says etc... Just get the administration to remove the spectator if it is warranted and there is no reason for a stare down etc..

(3) Making the game all about them instead of the players that are actually playing the game.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!

kw

Getting personally involved with the crowd. I don't care what the crowd says etc... Just get the administration to remove the spectator if it is warranted and there is no reason for a stare down etc..

Some ref's think it's all about them. Get over the ego problem, fans pay to see the players.

Getting personally involved with the crowd. I don't care what the crowd says etc... Just get the administration to remove the spectator if it is warranted and there is no reason for a stare down etc..

Some ref's think it's all about them. Get over the ego problem, fans pay to see the players.

Not sure about how to take the reply??? Are you with me or against my opinion???

THANKS

kw