Givback's post on ref's

CPGB06

I was posting, and then it was not there. Here is my post:

I know that Givback'r has a good understanding of the game and would not embellish this occurrence. I have to say that we feel as if our team plays against 8 more than we play against 5.

I have ref'd a couple of times, and it has to be one of the most difficult things I have ever done. You cannot pay me enough... not $65.00 per game, not $165.00 per game.

Given the number of games played statewide, it is difficult to attract enough people with the promise of $65.00 per night. If you ref 60 games in a high school basketball season, that would only be $3900.00 for the entire high school year. Investing the amount of time necessary to become a very good ref and considering this return, that is not a lot of money. When you add AAU to the mix, a ref might make an additional $4000.00 per year. But that is working a whole lot of games.

To entice good qualified people to this calling requires more money than is currently being offered. Understanding the lack of funds to pay and regulate the officials, we are relegated to the situation that we have.

So here is a question. If each TSSAA basketball player’s parent had to pay $200.00 before the season to ensure that there are enough funds to not only pay the ref’s an adequate amount, but have the regulating structure available, would you be willing to pay the money?

I was posting, and then it was not there. Here is my post:

I know that Givback'r has a good understanding of the game and would not embellish this occurrence. I have to say that we feel as if our team plays against 8 more than we play against 5.

I have ref'd a couple of times, and it has to be one of the most difficult things I have ever done. You cannot pay me enough... not $65.00 per game, not $165.00 per game.

Given the number of games played statewide, it is difficult to attract enough people with the promise of $65.00 per night. If you ref 60 games in a high school basketball season, that would only be $3900.00 for the entire high school year. Investing the amount of time necessary to become a very good ref and considering this return, that is not a lot of money. When you add AAU to the mix, a ref might make an additional $4000.00 per year. But that is working a whole lot of games.

To entice good qualified people to this calling requires more money than is currently being offered. Understanding the lack of funds to pay and regulate the officials, we are relegated to the situation that we have.

So here is a question. If each TSSAA basketball player’s parent had to pay $200.00 before the season to ensure that there are enough funds to not only pay the ref’s an adequate amount, but have the regulating structure available, would you be willing to pay the money?

More money is not the answer to most problems although I am for paying anyone the most possible for their work (don't care what the profession). It's like my boss coming to me and saying " Would you do a better job for more money?" If I answer yes then he can come to only one conclusion. I am not doing the best I can and I should either start doing the best I can or hit the door, right???

I think the TSSAA needs a real recruiting campaign to get young people interested in taking up officiating as a part time job and some of them will be good ones and some will need to be weeded out and when you finally have enough good young ones you start weeding out the old bad ones until you have overall good crews state wide. This like most things worth doing will not happen over night. But my friend, it's high time we started.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!!!

kw

It's like my boss coming to me and saying " Would you do a better job for more money?" If I answer yes then he can come to only one conclusion. I am not doing the best I can and I should either start doing the best I can or hit the door, right???

Thanks for the reply KW.

I would look at it the other way. My boss does come to me everyday and asks me to do a better job... but my boss is me, not my employer! I work everyday to get a raise and I do get them... however the raises do not always come from my current employer.

I would think that TSSAA does not do enough to regulate and police the ref’s in action. Givbackr’s post was about something that TSSAA will take with a grain of salt because it is a he said – she said deal. How to you make the ref’s on site responsible for their actions?

From my first post in regards to the $200.00, the lion share of the amount I would put towards the so-called 4th official; the guy that observes the officials on the court in every game. So how does a school pay $65.00 time 4 instead of 3? Where is the money going to come from? $5.00 at the door is already a lot to ask a fan for anyway.

I am not saying this is the answer, but the TSSAA needs to do something more than what they are doing… which brings us to your analogy… the boss (supposedly us) asking if we pay them (TSSAA) more, could they do a better job? I think so… by adding regulation.

Edited by CPGB06

Asking someone to pay more is ridiculous. Some parents have more than one kid playing, so if they payed $200 per kid that would be $400 or more. There is no reason to raise the door prices because there are some that have to pay for 4 or 5 people to get in and that is atleast $20/$25, 2 and sometimes 3 times a week. Average $50 a week for admission $20 a week for gas to get to the games and a family will spend close to $1000 a season just to watch their kid play and that is not even including food. The refs are not great but they are not as bad as everyone is saying. Just because your team loses does not mean the refs are awful, sometimes the other team is just better. T$$AA does not need more money from us so please don't give them any ideas.

Asking someone to pay more is ridiculous. Some parents have more than one kid playing, so if they payed $200 per kid that would be $400 or more. There is no reason to raise the door prices because there are some that have to pay for 4 or 5 people to get in and that is atleast $20/$25, 2 and sometimes 3 times a week. Average $50 a week for admission $20 a week for gas to get to the games and a family will spend close to $1000 a season just to watch their kid play and that is not even including food. The refs are not great but they are not as bad as everyone is saying. Just because your team loses does not mean the refs are awful, sometimes the other team is just better. T$$AA does not need more money from us so please don't give them any ideas.

Yes it is very expensive!!! I know all too well. The issue is how do ref's get checked for such thing as what Givback'r was talking about. I believe that his daughter's team won the game.

But as long as you bring up the fact that it cost "parents" too much, let me say that I do not believe that the tax payers should pay for sports... period! From Elementart through College.

That should cause a stir! :D