are they allowed?

jesseQB#12

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catfish-hunter

Clear visors are the only legal ones. It makes no difference whether you have a perscription. Whether or not the official enforces it is another topic. You may have seen tinted visors but that does not make them legal.

The jamboree & first three weeks of the regular season the sun is still up during kickoff. After that tinted visors are pointless.

Visors shouldn't be used unless a player has a serious eye condition. I've seen players have to come off the field to get the visor removed from their helmet because it fogs up and affects their vision.

visors should not be allowed in high school football... its all for show and the players who wear them think it makes them look better on the field... its not about how u look but about how u play... only reason to wear them is to block the sun from the eyes and thats the only reason college and the nfl wear them... pointless during a friday night game

visors should not be allowed in high school football... its all for show and the players who wear them think it makes them look better on the field... its not about how u look but about how u play... only reason to wear them is to block the sun from the eyes and thats the only reason college and the nfl wear them... pointless during a friday night game

I hear what you're saying, but you could say that about a lot of things players wear, gloves, towels, sweatbands, etc. I mean come on, you can't tell me that every player wears gloves to grip the ball better or towels to keep their hands dry.

I say if it doesn't interfere with the game or safety then hey, let them have fun. It's not that big of a deal. I have heard that visors are limited to clear for a safety factor though.

Safety factor would be the reason. Some of the visors are so dark that you cannot see the players eyes. If any injury occurs and a medical person needs to see a players eyes then a problem does exist. Therefore, the reason for the clear visors only at the HS level. Of course, they wear the gloves, towels and sweatbands, etc because it makes them a better player.

Have you ever seen someone that has been poked in the eye at a Friday night game. It can affect their vision if it is severe. I have seen this and the effects can last for several days. As long as they are clear I think it shouldn't be a problem. Not everyone is worried about looking cool on the field.

Here's my take as a coach on visors... They are a royal pain in the Butt! The problem with them is this, if a kid has an injury, you have to snip the thing off to get to him without removing the helmet. Also, they tend to "fog" up when a kid goes in and out of games on a regular basis. I have had a kid come to the sideline after dropping a pass and you can't see his face for the fog on the mask. If a kid wants to buy one and wear it fine, but on my team, the first time it cost me a play or we have to snip it off, that's the end of it for that game... they all come off. They just serve very little function except to protect a kids face.

and at least half of football is mental so if someone ur facing has a visor it can make them look more bad-A. and by looking bad-A they are already in your head. but some people should probably just kill themselves

My son wears a clear visor on the insistance of his doctor. He has very poor vision in one eye and any damage to his other eye would be bad news. I agree about the tinted ones- no need.

My son wears a clear visor on the insistance of his doctor. He has very poor vision in one eye and any damage to his other eye would be bad news. I agree about the tinted ones- no need.

Thats another story... I completely understand that an athlete can need one for vision problems as some do... Im speaking of the ones who run out and buy them to put them on because they see what others look like with them... Doesnt give a mental edge because of the looks although some might think so...