Freshman

philip2003

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to beleive a freshman is throwing 85+. If they are that's great but it's bad to hype a kid up that doesn't throw exactly what everyone says. The hardest I've seen a 15 year old throw was 80. He was from Anderson County High School.

yea first of all, where do these posters get these sources? secondly, i agree with what you said. you won't find a lot of freshmen in one state throwing above 80. the sign of a solid pitcher in a freshman is their ability to throw two or three pitches for strikes, as well as their composure. i know some catchers who can get on the mound and throw 80+ but that doesn't make them a pitcher at all, much less a "good" pitcher.

yea first of all, where do these posters get these sources? secondly, i agree with what you said. you won't find a lot of freshmen in one state throwing above 80. the sign of a solid pitcher in a freshman is their ability to throw two or three pitches for strikes, as well as their composure. i know some catchers who can get on the mound and throw 80+ but that doesn't make them a pitcher at all, much less a "good" pitcher.

Thank goodness for voices of reason here. Where in the world are some of you guys getting these radar guns. I have never heard of so many kids 14-15 yrs old throwing the ball in the mid to high 80's in my life. I would venture to say there are no more than 10-15 high school kids in the whole state, if that many, that can actually throw consistantly in the high 80's. Finding a freshman that does it with control is very very rare. But according to this site they are all over the place. I just don't see that at all. A kid that throws with control in the high 80's is something that you remember and people talk about ....even when he is a Senior if you find one at 15 yrs old they make the newspaper ....its not that common is all i am saying.

Maybe people just don't know what 88 mph fastball looks like. Its fast and you don't see many kids throw that hard. If you watched David Price from Blackman a couple of years ago pitch then you would have seen a 90mph fastball but he didn't throw it that often ....he was one of thoes kids everyone was talking about ...that is how rare it is to find. All I am suggesting is ...please use some common sense in reporting some of these speeds about kids who are 14 yrs old. Its building false confidence in them and honestly ....its funny.

91 as a freshman :D ????????? This kid might as well go pro cause I don't know very many seniors in the state of Tennessee that throws 91. Now, this kid might hit 81 but 91 as a freshman???? That's just plain out crazy. If the kid was hittin 91 as a freshman he will be well in the 100's as a senior. Although this sounds like I think there is no way, There is a pitcher in the majors not sure on his name but he throw around 102, 103 every pitch. I was readin on a site that he was gettin 88 as a freshman, but 91 is very farfetched.

TO EVERYONE WHO THINKS A FRESHMAN CANT THORW 80+. Sonny Gray is just about all i have to say , the kid had a 0.00 era throughout hlaf the season and he plays in AAA, he hit 91 as a freshman, and if you dont believe this just look for him in the papers come march when the preseason preview comes out. He will be in there

From what i hear Sonny Gray is the real deal. If you'll read what was stated above ...it was pointed out that to find a kid at 14-15 throwing that hard was very very rare. Never said it wasn't true ...just very rare. Plus also said that if you find a kid throwing that good everyone wil lhear about him. Such is the case with Sonny Gray, everyone was hearing about him last year ...a special kid. All i am saying is that this type of kid is very rare at that age. Or any age for that matter.

91 as a freshman :D ????????? This kid might as well go pro cause I don't know very many seniors in the state of Tennessee that throws 91. Now, this kid might hit 81 but 91 as a freshman???? That's just plain out crazy. If the kid was hittin 91 as a freshman he will be well in the 100's as a senior. Although this sounds like I think there is no way, There is a pitcher in the majors not sure on his name but he throw around 102, 103 every pitch. I was readin on a site that he was gettin 88 as a freshman, but 91 is very farfetched.

no, in spite of what i said before, sonny gray is an exception. he hits atleast 88 and from what i've heard and seen, he can probably get up to 90 as well.

I find it hard to beleive a freshman is throwing 85+. If they are that's great but it's bad to hype a kid up that doesn't throw exactly what everyone says. The hardest I've seen a 15 year old throw was 80. He was from Anderson County High School.

Well lets see, Sonny Grey from smyrna got it up to 92 last year and he stayed in the 90 range all year ....... i dont know where you are getting your info from