why does nobody care about middle school?

Baseball2008

:thumb: I'm familiar with Cully's tradition to a degree, but the community support that a middle school team gets depends on the community I'd say. The high school players officiate and run our K-3 league and we have a county wide Jr. Pro league with teams in 4th, 5th and 6th grades. Then 2 years of middle school ball before high school. You're just as likely to see the middle school or high school coach at any of those games and there's a summer camp to boot. I think the ones that matter respect the feeder leagues below them.

It's natural to leave a program behind once you've graduated from it and to aspire to the next level. The middle schoolers aren't buying tons of tickets to the Jr. Pro games (unless there's a brother or sister playing) and high school players aren't buying up middle school tickets. The guys that go on to college aren't buying tickets to the high school game either. Usually, the best game in town is the high school game and everything trickles down from there. That's not disrespect. It's just how it is.

You are very lucky to have such good support from your middle school and high school coaches. We have Nothing Even Close where I live. I hope you pat them on the back and tell them how much you do appreciate them. Our administrators haven't even been to one away game this year for our eight grade team, and I have only missed one game all year. If you can't get support from the administrators, you can't expect much more from the coaching staff. It does trickle down. It's unfortunate. Luckily there are some coaches who just make the extra effort, as in your commmunity. Our high school generally has strong teams and will always be the best game in town, as it should. I played 15+ years ago and still attend most high school games. I know it's rare, but I have a lot of ties to our school and I guess everyone else doesn't share my same passion. I also have 5 children (one at every level...elementary, middle school, high school. college. and one at home)...so I get to attend games all over our county for various sports, not just basketball.

Maybe you could let us know the names of your coaches....and we could recruit next year. B) LOL ...Best of Luck to your teams!!!!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the props. We are very lucky. In my opinion the key is the camps, sharing of knowledge and kids playing together from 4th grade through 12th grade. I like the Jr. Pro concept. Our county uses the elementary school gyms and the kids get a feeling of school pride and playing for their community at an early age. It might not work for every community, particulary the larger ones, but it works in Cheatham County.

The 3 Cheatham County boys and girls teams finished 1, 2 & 3 in the district this year at the high school level. Harpeth Middle boys won the TMSAA small school championship and the Sycamore girls won the large school championship. Cheatham Middle won the small school girls tournament last year.

I grew up in Maury County and it would seem they'd be tailor made for an elementary school basketball program with 12 elementary schools. I think they'd have more youth basketball participation at the unit schools for sure if they had a program involving the schools.