Seymour Weigh-Ins

matbrat5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wheww....walken...you lost even me, and I read you six times there.

The idea of an airline was only to illustrate the point.

I think seymour was the only school involved without being allowed to weigh in those wrestlers, thereby making my point in its effect on the whole.

JDad, do make sure you read my posts carefully. I said rules are INTENDED to be black and white with no exceptions. I dont see the contradiction.

No one wants kids, all kids to wrestle at each and every opportunity more than I do. I hate the idea they werent allowed to wrestle, but if anyone had asked me how that situation was going to come out, I knew.

For all future reference, when in conflict with tssaa;

If you are within the rule, you can sleep easy.

If you are outside the rule, find BCB and his crew for consolation!

the "jack"

matbrat5-Tyler, just wanted to say take advantage of the 3 years you have left - hope you are back at states next year!

He will be! He beat a state finalist and won region as a Freshman. This might give him the spark to take it to the next level.

Tyler don't worry about the girlfriend. If it's meant to be it will happen, if not there are lots of beauties who love wrestlers.

Good Luck

He will be! He beat a state finalist and won region as a Freshman. This might give him the spark to take it to the next level.

Tyler don't worry about the girlfriend. If it's meant to be it will happen, if not there are lots of beauties who love wrestlers.

Good Luck

Matbrat-Tyler

I know how it is to miss regions and big oppurtunities. Mine were due to injury, I missed Junior year regionals with a separated should, and in my freshman year of college I just missed National qualifiers with a seperated shoulder, as all wrestlers know you cannot change the past, but you can use it to fuel your desire. I must say you reeally impressed me in the region finals. I was the one hanging numbers on the match board and I was predicitng the outcomes of all matches as names were called. No offense to you but Geren was my pick, just because of who he was (Sr., 2nd in state) and you were a freshman. But you did not wrestle like a freshman, you wreslted like an upperclassman. I became a fan of yours after that and was looking forward to seeing you wrestle in state. Then I find out Seymour was not allowed to weigh in. I was shocked and felt bad for the team. If you keep up what you have started you will make a name for yourself. as for the girl, hey she may matter, but like blaster said if its meant to be its meant to be. A girl should never pry her guy away from his passion, I have been down that road before, its a common problem. I understand the emotion in the hotel room, that was your freshman shot at something special.

Congrats on all your accomplishments

Now my opinion on the rules and regs of the situation

The kids should not pay for a coaches INNOCENT mistake. I am sure the coach feels like crap, I would. I understand the fear of bending one rule and others wanting change also, but is it really bending the rule to let them weigh in 1 minute late because the table holds them up. I know some will say it is bending and there is no excuse, I just believe this situation should of been handled differently.

Matbrat-Tyler

Now my opinion on the rules and regs of the situation

The kids should not pay for a coaches INNOCENT mistake. I am sure the coach feels like crap, I would. I understand the fear of bending one rule and others wanting change also, but is it really bending the rule to let them weigh in 1 minute late because the table holds them up. I know some will say it is bending and there is no excuse, I just believe this situation should of been handled differently.

Bad enough to be the Coach but being the Dad brings on more pain.

Tyler here's one more for you. My son was going to give up his senior season for a girl. It took the whole team and parents to get him to come out. He ended up as Regional champ and State finalist.

Now 4 girl friends later. I'm sure he would tell you he's glad he stuck with wrestling.

You can't pass on your god given gifts. We will give your dad some credit for good genes.

Matbrat, to come on here and deliver such a post should humble all of us geezers.

Not only did you wrestle this year as an upper classman, you show a mental maturity beyond your years as well. One day you will stand atop the champions stand I am sure.

The dad/coach associated obviously knows what he is doing with kids, at least his own. Some of that will rub off on any young men in his wrestling room. These are the mentors needed to help guide our youth. Dont go away.

In my opinion, given the same circumstances, any school, D1 or D2 could find themselves in this position next year. But you have an advantage and know how things will likely be decided.

I keep learning from this sport, and from the matbrats across the state.

the "jack"

Tyler, I don't have seniors that could have put it any better than you did! Your going to have a very good wrestling career. This one situation won't keep you from reaching your goals, in fact, I believe it will motivate you to want to achieve them even more. I know how proud your dad is everytime I mention your name to him his face lights up. You keep the attitude that you have and you'll do well, on and off the mat.

Jack & Walk, yes, let's walk that tight line of rules both of you want. Speed limit is 70mph, your driving 71. Trooper pulls you over and tells you your were speeding. "Gosh darn officer, I was only going 1mph over. Sorry sir, you didn't follow the rules." Point being, rules are set to be standards. Even in the said example we all know the trooper wouldn't have stopped you, although technically he could have.

Lets face it, rules are bent everyday and are given some latitude for errors that may occur. In this situation, no latitude was given. Yes, Rusty should have gotten to the arena earlier. He still wouldn't have known where to go and would have been held up by the usher/security person. TSSAA has to take some responsibility in this error. A packet of information should be sent out or faxed to all coaches that have wrestlers qualified for state. Enclosed should be information informing the coach of when, what, how, & where, and shouldn't assume that he has gone through this process before. As in this case, Rusty hadn't. Again, he cut it too close, but still wasn't provided any information from the hosting organization that would have told him to go to the back of the arena. No sweat off their back, right!

Not everything is "black & white" folks. There are gray areas. Bottom line is, are you going to do the right thing and feel good about your decision? IF, I had made this decision, no way I could feel good about it.

Rusty, you have done an outstanding job at Seymour throughout the years. Don't let this incident put a cloud over your teams accomplishments.

Your friend,

RCP

Just recently there was a article in the Tennesseean paper that a young lady from middle TN was allowed to participate in a basketball game even though she didnt pass the sports physical required by the TSSAA. R. Carter gave the girl a special hardship to play the one game saying '' It was a very easy decision to make''. I dont want to be mean because I understand why that girl was allowed to play that night but all the ''Carter-bandwagoners'' are saying to get off his back..... and at least hes consistant....... and rules are rules........ and its written in black and white but he clearly doesnt always follow TSSAA rules now does he? I'm colorblind and I see the GRAY here. Sorry for my post if this offends anyone but I'm just stating the facts.

Just recently there was a article in the Tennesseean paper that a young lady from middle TN was allowed to participate in a basketball game even though she didnt pass the sports physical required by the TSSAA. R. Carter gave the girl a special hardship to play the one game saying '' It was a very easy decision to make''. I dont want to be mean because I understand why that girl was allowed to play that night but all the ''Carter-bandwagoners'' are saying to get off his back..... and at least hes consistant....... and rules are rules........ and its written in black and white but he clearly doesnt always follow TSSAA rules now does he? I'm colorblind and I see the GRAY here. Sorry for my post if this offends anyone but I'm just stating the facts.

How could you be allowed to make that kind of decision, unless you know what these young men went thru to get to State? Was there not a Tourney Director who could make the call? :rolleyes:

I've challenged the rule on certification and had it go my son’s way but it took Doctor's letters, and daily calls to TSSAA for 3 weeks.

So the TSSAA rules have been bent more than once. So the so called "black and white" is a slow gray. It takes time and it is the exception instead of the rule. ;)

However, as we have seen in the biting incident at State Duals and the Seymour incident these rules don't bend easily. :rolleyes:

I was undefeated at 145lbs my senior year and went down to 135lbs as my coach requested. Caught pneumonia then didn't have enough matches to go at the lowest weight. I asked to challenge at 145 and my coach said no because it wouldn't be fair to the current 145lb (his Nephew) so I wrestled up to 160 plus in the districts.

BTW-The nephew was beat by a kid I distroyed twice.

I was smart enough to say "want I be giving up to much weight" and my coaches reply was you gave more weight than that in football against opponents. Won 1 match against a Hulk of a young man from MBA, almost had my Neck Broke :rolleyes: by a kid who took third at state that year.

Yep, I never forgot how I didn't have my shot my senior year but "Life isn't Fair" but if there is a chance to make things right, do everything you can to make it that way.

I really do not understand the whole; "An adult made the mistake and the kids have to pay" comments. If the TSSAA allowed that kind of excuse to rule the day, then imagine the number of situations that would arise were and "adult" was involved and the rule should now be reconsidered becasue it would effect the kid. All the rules affect the kids, the sport is about them. Allowing the "adult did it excuse" into the mix would be wrong. Just my opinion.