What does it take to take Down a Mighty Bear?

MasterBlaster 1

After the team hardware was handed out I went and congratulated Coach Henry and Coach Turner. Coach Turner said "Thank You, You know this doesn't happen without sacrifice, You know how hard we work." I do know how hard Soddy works as my son has been in their practice room many times during the summer participating in freestyle. Every member of their team, that was at state, scored points for them and that is what it takes to take the Championship. MB you may not have meant it as an insult but it did come off that way. I agree with a prior post just say Congrats to Soddy. Congratulations Soddy Coaches, Team and Parents, especially to Trevor Fuller and the Roberson family. I always see you guys whenever we are traveling over the spring and summer and I know first hand how much time and effort you guys put into your wrestling program. Congrats from one of your Bradley friends!!!

Edited by kdxdude

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soddy Daisy won the Traditional Team Title by being the best wrestling team this past weekend. They scored with 13 wrestlers while Bradley scored with 8. They deserved to be champions and wrestled like champions. There should be no reason to diminish their accomplishment. Soddy took it to the field this weekend and my hat is off to them.

Steve Henry is a class act and the Soddy Fans and wrestlers are great people. They have a right to enjoy this without apology or crediting anyone but their own fantastic performance. The "rest of the story" is a simple one, Soddy outwrestled the field and are the Traditional State Champions.

My hat's off :thumb:

So i dont know what I'm talking about huh? I wrestled for Soddy and made it very far at the state tourney. I also help coach including 171-275. Let me tell you I have seen some of the best Antonio Boyd he started wrestling in high school also Anthony Evans, Will Bartholomew, Carlos Thompson all these would have pinned Nick sorry but its true. I have also watched the best from Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina. Nick better hope to get a football scholarship this year because wrestling is not his future. Also Letner is only a Junior this year so he has a very good chance of winning his next year. But Nick is not Antonio Boyd, or any of the others i stated above. Nick is a good wrestler but not fantastic, and with you as a fan its a shame that maybe he will not get his due of being a good wrestler. Some people on here say stupid things and you have said many. Every year just like Teerod said Bradley has won the traditional state for 12 years and they were given help just like every other state championship team, Thats a fact. The state is when wrestlers have to step up and perform to the best of their abilities and Soddy did that, with or without the help Soddy won and thats also a fact. So please before you stick your foot in your huge mouth please think. All you had to say is Soddy congrats for your state championship! Leave it like that its very easy your comments are like leaving a asterick beside the team title because we were given the title because Bradley only won 2 titles out of 6 finalist so they gave Soddy the championship. I used to actually like what you stood for I love the eagle on a cross but an idiot is a idiot and you are that. sorry but it's true think before you post. :blink:

"Great coaching job by SD but Now the "rest of the story" without a pack of Irish, Commandos, Mustangs, and Red Devils you would not have that title, so give those Champions some credit. "

Therefore, because of this one sentence, I'm a coward an idiot. Wow, you folks are insecure. Has the bears success and SD always being the brides maid made U guy's this bitter? You really had that chip getting bigger and bigger against Bradley, didn't U.

Being kissing cousins and not winning a Championship over the past have made some of you write 3 pages over a sentence giving some other schools Champions some credit.

I guess the Great Coaching was a slam. NOT!

In addition, if you think Reviez is that bad what does that say for Letner?

I think he does a great job for a young man that has only been wrestling for 2 full seasons.

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

Everyone can say whatever they want to about Nick Reveiz, but either way the kid is a 2 time state champion and you cannot take that away. Buy the way Cobra if he doesnt have a future in wrestling then what are you saying about Letner because he couldn't come close to even touching Nick's legs. How did this Antonio Boyd do? Did he win state twice?

Edited by KJF31

So i dont know what I'm talking about huh? I wrestled for Soddy and made it very far at the state tourney. I also help coach including 171-275. Let me tell you I have seen some of the best Antonio Boyd he started wrestling in high school also Anthony Evans, Will Bartholomew, Carlos Thompson all these would have pinned Nick sorry but its true. I have also watched the best from Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina. Nick better hope to get a football scholarship this year because wrestling is not his future. Also Letner is only a Junior this year so he has a very good chance of winning his next year. But Nick is not Antonio Boyd, or any of the others i stated above. Nick is a good wrestler but not fantastic, and with you as a fan its a shame that maybe he will not get his due of being a good wrestler. Some people on here say stupid things and you have said many. Every year just like Teerod said Bradley has won the traditional state for 12 years and they were given help just like every other state championship team, Thats a fact. The state is when wrestlers have to step up and perform to the best of their abilities and Soddy did that, with or without the help Soddy won and thats also a fact. So please before you stick your foot in your huge mouth please think. All you had to say is Soddy congrats for your state championship! Leave it like that its very easy your comments are like leaving a asterick beside the team title because we were given the title because Bradley only won 2 titles out of 6 finalist so they gave Soddy the championship. I used to actually like what you stood for I love the eagle on a cross but an idiot is a idiot and you are that. sorry but it's true think before you post. :D

I have a difficult time understanding how a person (cobra) can ""help coach" a great team of wrestler and then turn around and talk about how badly a state champion is at his sport. Why?

Get on MasterBlaster all you want (tho, I do not think he deserves it this time), but leave the wrestlers from his son's team out of it. Just a suggestion.

cobra does not coach at Soddy High, so whatever he says dont take it out on us. He is kinda like a masterblaster except a soddy daisy fan. Nick is a great wrestler, and did a great job winning 2 state titles. i wish he would wrestle in college. Im sure UTC would benefit having an athlete like that in the wrestling room.

Great coaching job by SD but Now the "rest of the story" without a pack of Irish, Commandos, Mustangs, and Red Devils you would not have that title, so give those Champions some credit.

Besides the State duals what was the record between Bradley and SD this year?

Great Article:

It would have been easy after Friday night for Soddy-Daisy's Trojans to fold their tent after falling behind to rival Bradley Central in the Division I state wrestling tournament.

Not so fast.

In the hospitality room late Friday night, Soddy-Daisy coach Steve Henry was pretending to be a mathematician. He said there was still a plan that would lead the Trojans to the glory land.

On Saturday morning, in the same hospitality room, Henry met with his team.

"I picked up a card at the table and threw it down,'' Henry said. "I told them the cards were on the table.

"Then I told them what they had to do to win the tournament. I told them where we were points-wise and what they had to do.''

When the final horn sounded Saturday night after Ryan Fuller and Tyler Roberson had won individual titles, it was Soddy-Daisy with 187.5 points and Bradley with 170. The Trojans had finally won their state traditional title.

"We stunk it up today,'' said Henry, whose teams have won two duals titles. "This is the ultimate.''

Jeannie and wrestling guru Danny Gilbert each tried to tell Henry on Saturday morning that winning the state championship was not everything.

"I know that because I have a great wife and two great kids,'' Henry said. "But you have to have goals. That's what we teach these kids.

"I'm so proud of every kid on this team. Every one of them scored a point. It was an absolute team effort. They all earned the championship.''

"I've still got chill bumps,'' Fuller said after climbing down from the awards podium. "I'm pretty pleased because in the duals we let down our coaches, the fans and all of Soddy-Daisy. This is a great way to end the season.''

Said Roberson, "It was awesome to see coach Henry get his first plaque. This team is so tight. I love them all. And this is so great we got this championship before Ryan leaves.

"But next year, we'll try again. It will be tough losing Ryan, but we have a lot more who can step up. I think we could have even more champions next year.''

When Soddy-Daisy clinched the championship after a Bradley loss in the finals, Henry said it was tough to believe.

Did he shed a tear?

"I got choked up,'' he said. "I didn't turn the tears lose. Not yet, anyway.''

Final Team Scores:

1. Soddy-Daisy 187.5

2. Bradley Central 170

well its like my old man always says if ur aunt shirley had balls she would be ur uncle sherman if anybody won every match they would be state champs congrats to SD :thumb:

I highly doubt that Reveiz would beat Coffey! Reveiz may be a beast but so is Coffey. This should leave the rest of the match to technique and I know for a fact that Coffey would win in that category (and trust be by no means am I a Pope John Paul II fan in any sports). Also, MasterBlaster, I respect the fact that the past two Farragut state champs (Knox and Reveiz) worked their bodies off hard and were extremely disciplined in that aspect of wrestling but when is Farragut going to get a state champ that is not phisically a total beast but is just a great fundamentally sound wrestler.

I highly doubt that Reveiz would beat Coffey! Reveiz may be a beast but so is Coffey. This should leave the rest of the match to technique and I know for a fact that Coffey would win in that category (and trust be by no means am I a Pope John Paul II fan in any sports). Also, MasterBlaster, I respect the fact that the past two Farragut state champs (Knox and Reveiz) worked their bodies off hard and were extremely disciplined in that aspect of wrestling but when is Farragut going to get a state champ that is not phisically a total beast but is just a great fundamentally sound wrestler.

LOL....does the state championship mean less because you can man handle your opponents then? LOL.....that has to be the funniest thing I have read today.

"Great coaching job by SD but Now the "rest of the story" without a pack of Irish, Commandos, Mustangs, and Red Devils you would not have that title, so give those Champions some credit. "

Therefore, because of this one sentence, I'm a coward an idiot. Wow, you folks are insecure. Has the bears success and SD always being the brides maid made U guy's this bitter? You really had that chip getting bigger and bigger against Bradley, didn't U.

Being kissing cousins and not winning a Championship over the past have made some of you write 3 pages over a sentence giving some other schools Champions some credit.

I guess the Great Coaching was a slam. NOT!

In addition, if you think Reviez is that bad what does that say for Letner?

I think he does a great job for a young man that has only been wrestling for 2 full seasons.

my 2 cents:

i had the honor of being in the midst of bear haters this past weekend. it was comical to here and watch the behavior of adults and kids from various areas around the state. every match a bradley kid was in he was stalling, head slapping, cocky, and he should have lost his last match anyway! i understand the "root for the underdog" thing going on but this was taken to another level, almost like anybody but these guys win. i enjoyed every single match. this sport is incredible.

the guy with a collierville firefighter shirt on was a complete jackass, he and his crew decided in an overtime match to get up and talk to a group 3-4 rows behind them. an old man 150lbs soaking wet said" hey buddy set down or move i'm trying to watch the match, the big bad fireman was ready to fight now, he had his big bluto fist ready, chest out, and then had some big boy words. i've got my little girl with me so i said grow up, set down, and try to be alittle more respectful of others behind you and there would be conflicts. needless to say he was a complete jackass the rest of the tournament. the funny thing was he had a big ol' gray mullet.

congratulations to soddy and to all the other area teams that did well.

i guess we'll do it again, all 6 of those bears will be back next year!