McMinn Central names . . . .

cephus23

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trojan42scot,

I agree that Brandon should be able to bring his energy to that once proud program. I also hope that Goose will remain and provide his knowledge and work ethic. It is always good to see former Scots being able to use their talents.

P.S. I hope everything is going well for you. Tell Coach D to keep up the great work that you all are doing.

you are correct about taking a test.. but the test only highly quailfies you to teach it does not certify you..(you have to do both) so how will he get ceritified in science by Summer.. if they are going to do so much shaking up why don't they go ahead and tell everyone so people that need to leave can go... and the football team can go ahead and get started. .. i was told by someone that was at the interview with him and two other people he had to get certified to teach Physical science...

That's true in TN, but fortunately it's different in GA. When you take the Praxis there, you do get certified & GA/TN certificates are reciprocal.

They're working on it...it took them months to hire, so don't hold your breath. Just wait and watch. Physical Science is the only spot open, so that's what he would say. Did he mention that Gossett is thinking of leaving since he didn't get the job? What does he teach again?

Derrick will start next week. The quote that I got was "I'm not concerned about what people are saying. Do you seriously think I'd put my life on hold and cross out all my other options for a job that's not guaranteed? Seriously."

Are the assistant coaches going to remain the same or have some of them resigned?

One resigned before the decision. Word on the street says that Gossett is looking to leave. The other rumor is that everyone is on equal footing right now. Everyone is just an assistant until Derrick has time to evaluate them. Current Coordinators probably don't like that.

I'm sure what your saying is correct. I am glad he is able to begin work next week, as far as the reciprocal certificate from Georgia, be careful, even though georgia certificates are reciprocal, it's not that easy, he could take the praxis and become certified in Georgia, but not necessarily highly qualified, I guess it depends on if McMinn County will hire a teacher that isn't highly qualified in that area. I hope it works out for him either way, I'm just curious to know why was it that it was going to be a Summer hiring, or at least that is what the administrators were saying, and then all of a Sudden he is brought in, was there something going on the whole time that we didn't know about or did pressure get the best of them.

One resigned before the decision. Word on the street says that Gossett is looking to leave. The other rumor is that everyone is on equal footing right now. Everyone is just an assistant until Derrick has time to evaluate them. Current Coordinators probably don't like that.

I'm sure what your saying is correct. I am glad he is able to begin work next week, as far as the reciprocal certificate from Georgia, be careful, even though georgia certificates are reciprocal, it's not that easy, he could take the praxis and become certified in Georgia, but not necessarily highly qualified, I guess it depends on if McMinn County will hire a teacher that isn't highly qualified in that area. I hope it works out for him either way, I'm just curious to know why was it that it was going to be a Summer hiring, or at least that is what the administrators were saying, and then all of a Sudden he is brought in, was there something going on the whole time that we didn't know about or did pressure get the best of them.

Thanks to the No Child Left Behind Act (and don't get me started on that), it is that easy. Because of NCLB, the definition of "highly qualified" has become very simple: "Anyone with a bachelor's degree who has been certified as a teacher and can demonstrate content knowledge through coursework or testing is deemed "highly qualified' under the law." As the law stands, all states have to have their core subject classes (History, English, Math, & Science) taught by "highly qualified" teachers by the end of the current school year. Because of the broad definition given by NCLB, states are pretty much free to decide what constitutes a qualified teacher. In the state of Georgia, any teacher who passes the Praxis exam is certified highly qualified. So, if he takes the Praxis there & then transfers his certificate, he's good as gold. BUT that won't be necessary anyway.

There wasn't anything going on. They knew that he was their choice from the first interview, but they wanted to wait until they didn't have to hire him with "stipulations." Their hand was forced when he got two other offers on the same day.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm glad Derrick was hired so he can get to work, I know he will do a good job, however if they knew from day one he was the guy, the administration should of let the other candidates know, or at least given them some indication. However, I realize that isn't always possible. Anyways, who is he going to retain and who is he going to try and hire as a staff. This will be his biggest challenge in my mind.

Thanks to the No Child Left Behind Act (and don't get me started on that), it is that easy. Because of NCLB, the definition of "highly qualified" has become very simple: "Anyone with a bachelor's degree who has been certified as a teacher and can demonstrate content knowledge through coursework or testing is deemed "highly qualified' under the law." As the law stands, all states have to have their core subject classes (History, English, Math, & Science) taught by "highly qualified" teachers by the end of the current school year. Because of the broad definition given by NCLB, states are pretty much free to decide what constitutes a qualified teacher. In the state of Georgia, any teacher who passes the Praxis exam is certified highly qualified. So, if he takes the Praxis there & then transfers his certificate, he's good as gold. BUT that won't be necessary anyway.

There wasn't anything going on. They knew that he was their choice from the first interview, but they wanted to wait until they didn't have to hire him with "stipulations." Their hand was forced when he got two other offers on the same day.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm glad Derrick was hired so he can get to work, I know he will do a good job, however if they knew from day one he was the guy, the administration should of let the other candidates know, or at least given them some indication. However, I realize that isn't always possible. Anyways, who is he going to retain and who is he going to try and hire as a staff. This will be his biggest challenge in my mind.

I know what you're saying. I talked to him yesterday & he said that he understands completely because he was in the same boat. He had no idea either, in fact, he was about to take another job. He has guys who want to come work with him, so it shouldn't be a big problem (IF they can find spots for them) to fill some spots.

He was offered the head job at Lenoir City twice. He turned it down both times (maybe like 6 & 4 or 3 years ago), but has kept a good relationship with the administrators. So, he can put a word in for Gossett if he needs it.

Are you still going to Ooltewah or are you interested?

lol, I know what your thinking, sorry though, I'm not who you think I am, however I do know what your talking about and he is waiting to see what happens, I think if a slot works out he would love the opportunity to work with Benny Monroe.

I know what you're saying. I talked to him yesterday & he said that he understands completely because he was in the same boat. He had no idea either, in fact, he was about to take another job. He has guys who want to come work with him, so it shouldn't be a big problem (IF they can find spots for them) to fill some spots.

He was offered the head job at Lenoir City twice. He turned it down both times (maybe like 6 & 4 or 3 years ago), but has kept a good relationship with the administrators. So, he can put a word in for Gossett if he needs it.

Are you still going to Ooltewah or are you interested?

I don't know anything about the new guy. I'm afraid that he falls into that dark void when I was "out of town" and didn't get to see him play. I hope that he is able to get the athletes on the football field. There are alot of guys that would really help out the program, but for some reason they don't play. I have seen an improvement in this area, but it would be nice to see some new plays and players. Something like Polk Co. when they dress out every eligible guy in the school. There are some really good freshmen this year, and next years class should be a really good class as well. I hope that he is able to put together a program and get the towns excited about WATCHING football and not just meeting at the game to talk about basketball. Also, will he take the time to help the little leagues and coaches learn what type of offenses and defenses he will run. I have seen this work with the basketball teams and it just seems like common sense to have the feeder programs teaching what you are going to run.