MBA places all 14 wrestlers

the wrestler

At the local Irish water pond last night, it was brought to my attention that MBA placed all 14 wrestlers in the state tournament this past weekend. As an Irish supporter I was shocked! Is this a state record? I am curious to know if anyone out there knows. However, I am glad for my Irish this weekend (purple irish). I think they fought hard and did well.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Placing 14 wrestlers shows good depth on the part of MBA but the Division 2 tournament is much easier than most of the invitational tournaments held around the state each year. The tournament was already marginal but the loss of Notre Dame in the tournament really made it somewhat of a joke this year. The D 2 wrestlers who earn medals would be much prouder of them if only 3 medaled.

Each year there are D2 kids getting seeded in invitational tournaments because of being returning state medalist. Many of the ones who finish 4th thru 6th would not even have been state qualifiers in D1. A state medalist should be a solid wrestler and the TSSAA as well as D2 coaches should address this.

Placing 14 wrestlers shows good depth on the part of MBA but the Division 2 tournament is much easier than most of the invitational tournaments held around the state each year. The tournament was already marginal but the loss of Notre Dame in the tournament really made it somewhat of a joke this year. The D 2 wrestlers who earn medals would be much prouder of them if only 3 medaled.

Each year there are D2 kids getting seeded in invitational tournaments because of being returning state medalist. Many of the ones who finish 4th thru 6th would not even have been state qualifiers in D1. A state medalist should be a solid wrestler and the TSSAA as well as D2 coaches should address this.

It wasn't the D2 schools who wanted the split in the first place. If they could do something about it the split never would have happened.

Edited by mtnrasslin

It wasn't the D2 schools who wanted the split in the first place. If they could do something about it the split never would have happened.

a neat picture pre-split was either 6 or 7 years ago in the pre-split (ya know) back when they wrestled those savage D1 guys - occured in the region Finals in the east ridge gym and every baylor wrestler lined up on one side of the gym against the rest of the region - then we tucked tails and ran - been dodging ever since- if you want to compete with a certain D2 team call them i'll bet they will play and you can tell em jokes.

Edited by bigbadwolfTN

Obviously we are speaking in general terms. I feel that the top 3 are better in DII. I will "give it" to DI - the 4-6 in general terms are probably better in DI.

That's a bold statement. You think the top three in DII are better than the top three in DI? I don't know if you made it to the state tournament this past weekend, but that's not what I saw on the two mats that were side to side.

If you're serious ab what you're saying, I'd love to see you break it down by weight class and let us know where you think the top three from DII would have placed if there was no division.

If I had to bet my savings on it, I'd say that should the individual DI champs wrestle the DII champs, the DI side would win around 50-60% of the matches - a near split. If the runner-ups from each division wrestled each other, I would say that DI would win around 2/3 of the matches. The third place winners would be in the same neighborhood. Fourth, fifth, and sixth would go to DI around 80%. These numbers are obviously just my opinion. If someone feels that they are knowledgeable enough to actually break it down by weight class, that would be really interesting stuff.

Sure would be a fun dual meet, wouldn't it? Six full lineups for each division, Sixth place winners vs. sixth place winners first, fifth place winners vs. fifth place winners second, and so on...

I'd pay good money to see it - or at least the last three rounds, anyway.

Edited by FromFieldtoPitch

I meant it much more of an opinion than a "bold statement" regarding top 3 vs. top 3. However 1st place vs. 1st place I will make a "bold statement" style opinion and say that DII wins that daul.

Fair enough. I'd still love to see you break it down by weight class, not as an indignant challenge, but just to see how you think it would pan out. I think I'll start a new thread to see if anyone will take up the task.

Edited by FromFieldtoPitch

that just shows u how easy it is to place in DII..ill give it to the top 3 places in DII they are as good as the top 3 in DI but it just drops off through the last 4-6 places...but congrats to MBA anyways they have a solid team!

The Baylor team of 2001 had 5 champs, 2 seconds, 4 thirds, 2 fourths, and 1 fifth. Half the team was in the finals, and practically the rest of the teams was in the 3rd place match. That team was also 27-0 in duals that year, and won every tournament they were in except McCallie, which was won by fellow DII rival Father Ryan. I believe that made a big statement for the ability of DII. Who wins this year? I think it is a toss up every year, I just wish the tournament was still combined like everyone else.