Illegal recruiting

ironman55

Thank you for the explanation. If a boy lives in Cleveland, can he go to WV or Bradley?

Its my understanding, yes. If you live in the city, you pay City AND County taxes. Once again, you need to provide your own transportation. This is not very common though. However, if you lived in the County and wanted to attend Cleveland, you would have to pay the tuition cost for attending the City school, I think its equivalent to about what they pay for City taxes?? AND they would have to have the space to allow the entry.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know or care ( not being smart ) about the way the TSSAA makes their decisions, I think if a kid can go to a school of their choice than that's great. I think in most of these cases that are discussed on here about recruiting one very important factor is left out, their parents or legal guardians have to make the final say so as to where they will attend, no one, not Baylor or Bradley etc. has the power to make a kid come to their school for what ever reason, except their legal guardians.

If it is wrong for Cody Cleveland to go from Tullahoma to McCallie, isn't it also wrong for Tanner Johnson to go from WV to Bradley?

funny no one said anything when he went the other direction. nothing has been done wrong here ironman. Johnson was unhappy where he was and decided to move long before it was known by anyone that Logson would coach again at bradley. Its up to tssaa if he is illegible or not. im sure bradley would love to have him but if there are rules to follow they will follow them. there not going to do anything that would get them in trouble with tssaa.

I am sure Bradley would not do anything illegal. But, is it wrong for them to steal a competing programs best wrestler?

Iron man. Im not even sure tanner is illegible either. So this discussion may be moot. But I would like to clear a few things up.They did not steal him. As I mentioned Tanner had talked for some time about being unhappy where he was and coming back to Bradley was in the works for him for several weeks BEFORE Logsdon even knew he would be getting to coach at bradley again. So they did not steal a wrestler. Once again lets not forget walker valleys best wrestler wrestled for bradley his first two years. He is returning to where he started. Did Walker Valley steal him first? No they did not. He wanted to wrestle his junior year so he went there to do so. Lets hope it works out for him. Should bradley turn him down if he is illegeble? If so why? It was his choice to change or he would still be at walker valley.

Ironman- do you know that they recrutied him? I mean do you know first hand that someone at Bradley contacted him and asked him to come back to Bradley?

If not, you are making some big assumptions by saying Bradley stole him.

Like everyone else has said, which it doesn't seem like you are hearing, if he transfers, he has to follow the rules set by TSSAA. It is his choice to transfer.

The student (and parents I assume) are making a choice. It is not illegal. TSSAA may not grant him eligibility but that is the chance he is taking.

Don't assume that just because someone transfers, that he was stolen.

If I had a son that wrestled and knew he had a chance at a college scholarship, I may move my family to one of the top programs in the state. (or try to get him into a private school) Its a choice that people make.

Ironman-you don't seem to be getting it so I'm going to try again...

If you MOVE, you can change schools. (It's the same rule that allowed TJ to wrestle for Walker Valley last season, so you must be familar with that one.)

There is also some sort of rule (I think) about a senior being allowed to change schools without losing eligbility.

There was no recruiting. None. Not by the parents, not by the school, not by the coaches. And anybody that thinks Steve Logston would recruit a wrestler is badly mistaken. Now it is possible that the kids wanted Tanner to come back to Bradley. After all, he did go there for two years previously, wrestled with the same group in middle school and kids club, so there is a connection there and I would say they missed him.

You need to stop beating on this dead mustang and move on.