Girls game schedule is as follows:

Monday:

4 pm Elizabethton vs Claiborne County

7 pm Pigeon Forge vs Happy Valley

Tuesday:

5:30 Gatlinburg Pittman vs South Greene

8:30 Unicoi vs Cumberland Gap

Wednesday:

4 pm semifinal: (EHS-CC winner vs GP-SG winner)

7 pm semifinal: (PF-HV winner vs UC-CG winner)

Thursday:

Girls final at 6:30

Boys games are as follows:

Monday:

5:30 HV vs Claiborne

8:30 Elizabethton vs Pigeon Forge

Tuesday:

5:30 SG vs Cumberland Gap

7 pm Unicoi vs Rutledge

Wednesday semis are at 5:30 and 8:30

Thursday:

Boys final at 8

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

District 2 seeds are upside down on the girls' side, while the District 1 seeds went according to plan. I'll take a stab at the girls' brackets. I look for Elizabethton to edge Claiborne Co. in a tough first game. I think Pigeon Forge will beat Happy Valley, Unicoi will knock out Cumberland Gap, and South Greene will edge Pittman. In the semi-finals, Elizabethton will nip South Greene again and Unicoi will eliminate Pigeon Forge. This will setup Elizabethton vs. Unicoi Co. #4. I'll take the Cyclones in another close one, with Elizabethton and Unicoi Co. advancing to the substate. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

I base them on coaching at Elizabethton the last four years, prior to this season. I have seen Elizabethton, Unicoi Co., and Happy Valley this season. I didn't see South Greene this year, but know how they fared against the other three. I know what Pigeon Forge lost from last year. I know Claiborne is good, but has stumbled lately. Former Happy Valley Coach Radar is doing a good job at Pittman and I don't know much about Cumberland Gap. District 1 has been a little stronger the past couple of seasons and I look for that to continue this season and next, but I have been wrong before. Playing in Maynardville may give District 2 an advantage.

Union County High School is a nice new facility. The lady cyclones opened the region one tournament today with a win over Claiborne County 49-31. Claiborne had two injured players who did not dress, including Coach Parkey's daughter who broke her foot in the district semifinal against Pigeon Forge. Parkey's gameplan was to slow the tempo on offense and try and force EHS out of its match zone defense; and on defense pack the paint and make EHS beat them from outside. It worked, for a half. CC led 19-15. In the second half, EHS wore CC down and blew a close game open in the fourth quarter. Good win Lady Cyclones.

I thought CC's coach had an excellant game plan. Boring to watch.....but a good game plan for his team. They were 'outmanned' and he knew it but the pressure overcame his ladies in the second half. Great adjustment by Weems coming out of the half-time locker room. Really pressured the ball outside and on the wings and applied a very effective full-court press. We all knew, especially being down 4 at the half, that he had to get after CC on the perimeter and force turnovers and that is exactly what Coach had his ladies do. After securing a lead the Cyclones went back to the 'money' and pulled away.

Great game by Big Pet and Crapps. This is to be expected at this point. Bush stepped in big as CC tried to double down on MP.......Marti made them pay. Hopson had her usual game.......handled the ball well, a couple of steals and a couple of big outside shots. Very tough outside defense by J. Treadway helped change the game to start the second half. Another great 'TEAM' effort. :thumb:

17 & Diamond, Looks like everything held up for you tonight. :D

coach17, you still pickin SG over GP?

krich, I dunno about the wireless in Maynardville; although I did see someone with a laptop at the game. I will take mine Wednesday.

HV girls lost by 17 to PF. Cyclone boys lost by 8 to PF.

Boys and Girls: one win each for each district tonight. Seeding holds true. What will tommorrow bring?

South Greene vs Gatlinburg Pittman--a pick em game.

Unicoi vs Cumberland Gap--Unicoi advances by 5.

I'll have to take GP tomorrow night. With their pressure in your face defense, if South Greene doesnt handle the ball well then it might not be close. Be ready to see some very quick guards who pride themselves on defense, which creates most of their offense. With friends on both sides, I hate to say it but I'll say GP by 10.

Don't know anything about Unicoi but because of the seeding I'll take them in a close one. If Cumberland Gap wants to win Vannoy will have to bring her "A" game which we all know she does in big games. Should be an exciting night!

Good Luck to all 4 teams!

South Greene wrote the book on pressure defense and transition offense. Should be a good matchup with GP. As for Unicoi they are a complete team. Strong post game headed by 6 foot Mainer complimented by Hill; deadly guard shooters in Barnett and Engle and steady wing Cannady who can shoot as well. Some bench help as well with the McNabb sisters and a couple of emerging young players. The Devils will bring it on defense, all night long. CG may win but if they do they will know that they played very well and very hard for 32 minutes.