HOW DID 9AAA TEAMS FARE THIS WEEKEND?

REDSMAN

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redsman, dont dog your own team. If you do at least use proper baseball lingo. For example, instead of saying Galllatin struggled you should say Gallatin labored this weekend. I mean you have to remember we did scratch out 3 hits and muster 2 runs vs. Lincoln Co., before we dropped a twinbill yesterday. During the twinbill, we did have some pitchers that had some quality outings, however some labored as well. In the first game you have to remember that bases were loaded when the Oakland player made the diving stab of the frozen rope hit by Sullivan. If a Texas leaguer would have happened there we would have tallied more. If you ask me Gallatin should have a good ball club if they get any kind of pitching. Those southpaws they threw looked pretty good to me and their backstop, Carlos Coward was outstanding all weekend. So what if they salvaged 1 game of a the three game set this weekend, it is only spring training. Once they get their sluggers in the groove, they will be a lot better. Believe me the Gallatin Nine will be fine. Feel free to use any these phrases when you write or talk from now on. It is baseball season people- SMILE AND LETS PLAY 2

I WASNT DOGGING - HOWEVER, I FELT THE GREEN WAVE HITTERS WASTED TOO MANY CHANCES TO GET ON THE BOARD. THE PITCHERS FARED BETTER THAN EXPECTED CONSIDERING THEY REALLY HAD TO WALK THE TIGHTROPE IN MOST INNINGS. THEY DID A GREAT JOB OF AVOIDING BIG INNINGS AND ESCAPING ANY FURTHER DAMAGE. DEFENSIVELY, WE SEEMED TO BE ON OUR HEELS AT TIMES. WE HIT SOME BALLS HARD SATURDAY - I THOUGHT THE TWIN-KILLING IN THE OAKLAND GAME REALLY STYMIED SOME OF OUR MOMENTUM. MENTALLY WE WERE NOT ABLE TO RATCHET UP ANY TYPE OF INTENSITY DURING THE RAVENWOOD GAME. POSTSEASON PLAY WILL INCLUDE DOUBLE-DIPS, SO IT IS IMPORTANT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE BOTH ENDS OF THE DOUBLEHEADER.

As I said earlier Redsman, the Wave definately has some kinks to work out but they are very strong behind the dish, and very good in the middle of the diamond. They should swing the lumber pretty well if their 2 oclock hitters can turn into game hitters. They really throw around the leather pretty good too. If the starters in their pitching staff can go deep into games and stay out of the bullpen they should be ok. By the way Coward was sporting some cool gear yesterday. Where did you buy those "tools of ignorance" anyway??

Gallatin will have to figure out which players to platoon in certain positions, especially on the right side of the dirt. Both second sackers havent played up to snuff just yet. They really do not have a staff ace or a closer either. They do have plenty of wheels up and and down their order. They should swipe a lot of bags which will look good in the stolen base department. They do have some pop in their order too. They wont launch a bunch of bombs but will definately hit alot of two and three baggers. With their speed they should leg out a lot of infield hits as well. If they do have a power outtage, they should be pretty adept at playing small ball.

HERE,HERE. WELL SAID. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO SCOUR THE ROSTER TO FIND THAT ANSWER WERE LOOKING FOR IN THE 4 HOLE. WE NEED THAT GUY WHO CAN CONSISTENTLY BANG PITCHES AROUND THE YARD AND PLATE MORE RUNS. I DONT LIKE OUR GUYS WHO RUN THE COUNT HIGH, BUT FAIL TO PUT THE BALL IN PLAY. WE COME AWAY FROM TOO MANY INNINGS WITH AN EMPTY LEDGER. SPEAKING OF HIGH COUNTS, OUR PITCHERS ARE TALLYING TOO MANY PITCHES PER AT BAT. I LOOKED BACK AT THE BOOKS AND FOUND THAT AVERAGE TO ABOUT 6.2 PITCHES PER AB. I DONT FEEL OUR PEN CAN SUPPORT THE STARTERS ON AN EVERYDAY BASIS, SO YES WE NEED TO EXTEND OUR OUTINGS. THE STARTERS WERE TAXED WAY TOO EARLY IN THESE SCRIMMAGES.

I have to give you credit Redsman, those last statements were definitely awesome. I do worry about the team being too propellar legged early in the season because of those deamanding road trips you scheduled. Hopefully all of the team chemistry in the clubhouse will help carry the load. The district is loaded as usual from top to bottom. Their are plenty of great skippers at the helms of these teams as well. The tootledge these guys provide make this district an absolute dogfight every year. The district is so highly competitive, I am real surprised that there hasnt been any bruhahas the last few years.

6.2 ptches per AB is very taxing on a staff. It is important that you find a stopper to help eat a lot of innings for you. You could probably use one of those sidewinders- they will definately be able to take some of the load off. As far as your 4 hole goes, Im sure one of those big earthpackers on the football team could help fill the bill. I did hear that you purchased some new road grays this year. I was wondering how they looked??

IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A GUY TO BRING IN THAT COULD GIVE THE HITTERS A DIFFERENT LOOK. YOU KNOW A STOPPER COULD REALLY SOLIDIFY THE BACKSIDE OF OUR ROTATION. THE TEAM NEEDS TO LEARN TO MEET THE DEMANDS OF THE ROAD EARLY IN THE SEASON. THE '06 CAMPAIGN WILL TEST OUR METTLE AS WE TRAVEL FOR A FULL WEEK AND HALF BEFORE OUR HOME OPENER. WE HAVE NO OVERNIGHT TRIPS ON THE SLATE THIS YEAR, WHICH I REGRET. I HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH OUR RESPONSE TO THE DEMANDS OF PLAYING AWAY FROM HOME.

I TOO AM IMPRESSED WITH THE ARRAY OF STYLES WE HAVE IN OUR DISTRICT COACHING RANKS. WE HAVE THOSE WHO ARE PLAYERS COACHES AND KNOW HOW TO USE THE KID GLOVES, AND WE HAVE FIREPLUGS WHO CAN MAKE PLAYERS TOE THE LINE BY CONSTANT PRODDING AND PUSHING.

I WAS PLEASED WITH THE ROAD SET. I FELT OUR TEAM WAS DUE A SET OF NEW DIAMOMD DUDS.

Hmmmm.- No overnight trips. Overnight series or tournaments can help bring some crucial bonding within the club. As I look over the roster though, it seems though you may not need to do that with most of your players being veterans. With that senior- laden roster, the team should be plenty battle tested. That experience should definitely help with being able to execute in those close ball games. For example, Im quite sure the team is well versed in putting balls on the green when a runner is on 3rd less than 2 outs. That exprience should also allow the team to create a lot of rallies. I said in an earlier post about the 4 hole being used for an earthpacker. From reading about the club through your posts, it seems that would be wrong for the lineup. Earthpackers tend to be basepath cloggers and huge liabilities on defense. Some of them cant even catch a routine can of corn.

Well, my wife just read everything I have posted and basically called both of us fruitballs. I hope we havent came across that way to others that frequent the message board. What does my wife no anyway- she is crying because Stacy Keebler just got kicked off Dancing with the Stars.

I FIND MYSELF CRYING THAT MS. KEEBLER IS LEAVING... SHE IS A TALL, COOL DRINK OF WATER. AS FOR MRS. MARTIN, I AM STILL REELING ABOUT HER OBVIOUS SIDESTEP OF MY QUESTION THE OTHER NIGHT. OH WELL, THERE IS NO CRYING IN BASEBALL.

I DO THINK WE HAVE SOME RINGERS WHOHAVE RUN THIS GAUNTLET BEFORE. HOWEVER, THERE ARE FACETS OF THE GAME THAT OUR GUYS ARE NOT WELL-SCHOOLED IN - PREPARATION, ADJUSTMENTS, DUGOUT DEMEANOR, COMRADERIE. BUT, THE MAKINGS OF A SOLID SQUAD ARE THERE.

I FIND MYSELF CRYING THAT MS. KEEBLER IS LEAVING... SHE IS A TALL, COOL DRINK OF WATER. AS FOR MRS. MARTIN, I AM STILL REELING ABOUT HER OBVIOUS SIDESTEP OF MY QUESTION THE OTHER NIGHT. OH WELL, THERE IS NO CRYING IN BASEBALL.

I DO THINK WE HAVE SOME RINGERS WHOHAVE RUN THIS GAUNTLET BEFORE. HOWEVER, THERE ARE FACETS OF THE GAME THAT OUR GUYS ARE NOT WELL-SCHOOLED IN - PREPARATION, ADJUSTMENTS, DUGOUT DEMEANOR, COMRADERIE. BUT, THE MAKINGS OF A SOLID SQUAD ARE THERE.

i would suggest a heavy dose of "display" of those qualities as well as get with a few of your leaders either together or seperately and let them know what you want and then when game time is on.... when you need some of this displayed, have a que that you send to them and when they demonstrate these things, maybe the young guys will catch on to what you want.... those things are hard to get an entire squad to do, if you can get 75% on board, you'll be in great shape.

remember, kids play this game for many reasons - we probably really loved the game and just wanted to play every chance we could get.... some play because their parents (dad) wants them to, some because they love it, some may play just to get out of doing something else, and their are a miriad of other reasons why..... reasons we as coaches, players, may not understand..... so it is important that you get a core of 5 or 6 guys (guys that play) to be your spokesmen.... then you have a chance. Of my 15 years, I had this about 7 or 8 times...... sometimes you just can't get to the kids.......

Edited by jdmtpb