You gotta love softball parent.......

kidnplay

I'm not really sure why the girl was cut and I know some of you have mentioned this... and it would be reasonable to say that maybe the girl had done something against team rules or had not attended mandatory things and I honestly think it is not very fair to just assume that the coach has made a poor decision. Not everyone knows the entire details within the situation or the relationship between the player and the coach. It is part of life to deal with losses and misfortunes and making it this big of a deal shows a lot about the parents or whoever brought the situation into play. I am not pointing fingers but I also think we should cut the coach some slack and put yourself in his/her shoes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, but what if that senior was taking a spot on the roster that could have been filled by someone younger but just as good. If you want to win you put the best on the team. Keeping dead weight around can drag a team down. However, who knows this exact situation and I think the coach should be commended for coming in and doing what she thinks is right. Lots of times parents have a very difficult time handling it when a new coach comes in and things change.

I dont have a dog in the race.......but if the senior made the team for the last 3 years your not telling me that Rhea County has 16 girls that are better than that senior. I have a hard time believeing that. Must be some politics. If the senior had never been on the team that is one thing but she made the team all those other years. Makes me wonder of she was a starter just by what he mother said in the paper. I feel sorry for the whole team because everyone is going to have feelings about all of this.

Okay, but what if that senior was taking a spot on the roster that could have been filled by someone younger but just as good. If you want to win you put the best on the team. Keeping dead weight around can drag a team down. However, who knows this exact situation and I think the coach should be commended for coming in and doing what she thinks is right. Lots of times parents have a very difficult time handling it when a new coach comes in and things change.

I agree with you sportsgal. Coaches can't keep someone on the team just because they are a Senior. That bull. If this girl was a starter, then its obvious that she ran afoul of the coach or team rules. It's the coaches call and the parents should just accept it.

I agree with you sportsgal. Coaches can't keep someone on the team just because they are a Senior. That bull. If this girl was a starter, then its obvious that she ran afoul of the coach or team rules. It's the coaches call and the parents should just accept it.

sportsgal and kidnplay?'s

Do you have children? Are you a Highschool Coach?

If you have children are they any Good in their Sport?

Just trying to understand your comments......Life has a funny way of teaching

lessons......be careful what you say and do.....it will come back to you.....

O.K., I can't resist. I have very personal experience with a similar situation (as some of you know). I have used these experiences to teach my daughter that life isn't fair and the best woman doesn't always win, but you have to battle on. Here is what we have learned:

Complaining, no matter how you do it or to whom, just makes it worse.

The best player at the tryout can be cut for any reason that the coach sees fit.

The better you are the more jealous and intimidated others are of you.

Coaches can be extremely inappropriate and there is little to be done in most cases except tolerate the behavior, chose to play elsewhere or not at all.

Politics play a part too much of the time and the team and the kids are the ones who suffer. Relatives coach, assist, coach summerball and this has no effect on who makes a team or plays?

High school softball is often a joke. That's why serious players play summer ball and college coaches recruit from summer teams. Not playing on a high school team does not prevent a great player from playing college ball.

High school ball allows alot of average players to get the only recognition they will ever have (even if it came because their mom/dad help in tryouts, doctored the stats and decided who and what will be awarded).

True success is earned not awarded.

The best teams, year in and year out, are the ones with coaches that aren't afraid to have the best players play no matter who likes it.

Being cut from a team is not the end of your life and can often be a blessing instead if you don't give up.

Acheiving anything meaningful is very hard.

If you truly love the game and have a desire to succeed you can over come all this BS and be successful.

I am extremely proud of my daughter because in spite of being humiliated and disappointed repeatedly she has had the inner strength to stick it out and will be playing college exposure ball this summer for a Gold 18 and under team. Whether she plays college ball or not she will always be a winner in my book because she has overcome much adversity and has retained a true, pure love of the game. Which is what is should be all about anyway.

keemom:

Glad you DIDN'T "resist"!!! :lol:

There's some really solid nuggets of wisdom and life lessons contained in several of the posts on this thread.

Just one consideration I'd like to add. I'm not condoning or condemning any coach's actions, nor am I commenting on any particular situation, but I'll just say this. Don't lose sight of the fact that coaches and parents are human beings, too, and we all make mistakes. I've certainly made my share and learned a lot of lessons over the 17 plus years that I've been coaching, over the 18 years I've been parenting (two daughters), and over the 40 something years I've been living on this earth. Even good people make bad decisions and the really important though tough thing to do sometimes is just to work through it. Thankfully, we have things like love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness to help get us through. In any situation, I really believe that we should never lose sight of these things! :lol:

---rSquared

O.K., I can't resist. I have very personal experience with a similar situation (as some of you know). I have used these experiences to teach my daughter that life isn't fair and the best woman doesn't always win, but you have to battle on. Here is what we have learned:

The best player at the tryout can be cut for any reason that the coach sees fit.

Coaches can be extremely inappropriate and there is little to be done in most cases except tolerate the behavior, chose to play elsewhere or not at all.

Politics play a part too much of the time and the team and the kids are the ones who suffer. Relatives coach, assist, coach summerball and this has no effect on who makes a team or plays?

High school softball is often a joke. That's why serious players play summer ball and college coaches recruit from summer teams. Not playing on a high school team does not prevent a great player from playing college ball.

High school ball allows alot of average players to get the only recognition they will ever have (even if it came because their mom/dad help in tryouts, doctored the stats and decided who and what will be awarded).

The best teams, year in and year out, are the ones with coaches that aren't afraid to have the best players play no matter who likes it.

Being cut from a team is not the end of your life and can often be a blessing instead if you don't give up.

If you truly love the game and have a desire to succeed you can over come all this BS and be successful.

I am extremely proud of my daughter because in spite of being humiliated and disappointed repeatedly she has had the inner strength to stick it out and will be playing college exposure ball this summer for a Gold 18 and under team. Whether she plays college ball or not she will always be a winner in my book because she has overcome much adversity and has retained a true, pure love of the game. Which is what is should be all about anyway.

Really enjoyed your post..........

If i had a senior who had played for the past three years and had several freshman sophomores that were at the same level or even a bit under her level i would say cut her. The freshman or sophomore you can try and make better for three or four years and improve your over all team. If she had been a three year starter and a top notch player i would say there may be other reasons that no one is privy to except admin coaches and parent.

CATBIDDLE Posted 15 minutes ago

i hate it for them.they did not look to impresive in there games this weekend. maybe they should re think there situation.the parents that were there didnt seem to concerned they just wnted to make sure that no sprite was brought to the next game

The above post is the perfect example of why more attention needs to be directed to academics rather than sports!

Concentrate on your studies! Much, much more scholarship money is available for academics than for sports.

Edited by bowler7

The above post is the perfect example of why more attention needs to be directed to academics rather than sports!

Concentrate on your studies! Much, much more scholarship money is available for academics than for sports.

o lighten up.this whole post is about nothing any way.no one is going to fix there problem anyway. the coach is going to pick the team she wants and the admin is going to back her.you can shake it up twist it turn it anyway you want and it want change nothing.its allabout academics anyway. you dont pass you dont play.but it may be different up there in rhea county.

Edited by CATBIDDLE

I don't know who you are but you are very insightful and have obviously experienced high school softball and the politics involved. You cannot change it and in my experience there are always parents at the high school level that have the coach in there back pockets. It is not always the best players that are put on the field and some great players are cut or put in situations where they are forced to make decisions regardless of there love for the game. Thank God for summer travel teams and the exposure the girls get on them. If it was all about school ball the college coaches would miss out on some good players that never make the teams or don't get to play because of politics. I wonder if the coach at Rhea County might look back on this 20 years from now and wonder if she could have handled it differently. I do not know her but she is probably young and I am sure some of the parents are taking advantage of her. Hopefully she will learn from this and not be like some area coaches that just remain stubborn and influenced my booster parents with big bucks and don't care about winning!