Region 3-4A

chsOL68

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the strongest , if not the strongest, regions in the state in any classification! Example, Powell and central both could have made it to the state championship were it not for the dominance of maryville. Competition in the region makes all of us better but it's tough during the play-offs because we've been eliminated by maryville the last two years. It would be nice if region teams could play later in the play-offs.

Just wondering how the changing of the guards will be in the next several years. Seems like a lot of new faces in region 3-4A could change.

Last year

Kevin Julian-Knox Halls

This year

Powell

The rumors are that Joel Helton-Knox Central, will be the next to leave.

Nick White -Lenoir City applied for the William-Blount job two years ago. Might be looking for a new job at Alcoa.

My feelings early are:

1. Maryville

2. Central

Powell, Halls, and West, in no particular order fighting it out for 3,4,5, with 3 and 4, or course, earning playoff spots and 5 on the outside looking in.

6. Lenior City

7. South-Doyle

8. Clinton

In other words, not much is going to change from the past couple of years.

My feelings early are:

1. Maryville

2. Central

Powell, Halls, and West, in no particular order fighting it out for 3,4,5, with 3 and 4, or course, earning playoff spots and 5 on the outside looking in.

6. Lenior City

7. South-Doyle

8. Clinton

In other words, not much is going to change from the past couple of years.

Maryvile will continue in the top spot until someone proves differently.

After that who knows?

Central lost alot. 4 year starter at QB. F.B. and T.B. good W.R./C.B. At least 2 L.B.'s D.E. the list goes on and on. They did however have a very good freshman team. Central will have talent but it will be young.

Powell lost a lot in their skil positions plus Lee Smith and the other good lineman. Good L.B. and a couple of good lineman coming back. After that who knows. Plus a new coach and system.

Halls lost all of their defense and much of their offensive production. Good reciever coming back. Slim pickings in Halls. They are a year away.

West will be right at the doorstep. I look for them to take the 3 or 4 spot with either Powell or Halls sitting out the play offs.

S.D. Clinton L.C. another long year.

Maryville concensus #1. To much experience coming back. These guys are winners and they have a coach that gets them motivated week in and week out.

Central #2 ? I now think these guys could be in jeopardy. I gauge this from the Halls freshman playing toe to toe with the Central Freshman last year. They are not head and shoulders above the competition any more. I do agree they have the most experience returning after Maryville. Could the loss of Gaston & Helton be to much? I really think so.

West #3 ? I have a gut feeling these guys will put together a dynamic season and surprise most people. Their question mark is defense. Their offense may rate up there with Maryville next year. Speed is outstanding in the wideout and running back positions. I have a feeling Jake Ryan may even lead this team to the #2 spot. I just don't think Halls or Powell can stop this kind of pass happy offense. They even pass to the waterboy for fun.

Powell #4. My heart says Halls but when I really thought about were Powell is and what they have returning it edges Halls out. The main key will be how the new coach settles in and gets the team ready to play. Huffaker is a accomplished runner and still has a good line in front of him. Huffaker over Pevy by a whisker.

Halls #5. Young, talented but untested. Roll the dice on them. No experience on defense and the loss of Lucas at QB could spell trouble for Sophomore head coach Julian. The burden will ultimately fall on the offensive side of the ball. The offensive line experience and the running game will have to carry this team and take pressure off a very young defense. The biggest question is who will Don Ward select at QB to run the offense and throw to their wideouts? Still they will be in contention and any upsets above them could earn them a playoff spot. They will be ready in 2007. :(

#6 Lenoir City #7 South Doyle #8 Clinton

Edited by ZCAR