UC Wins

GHvolrebel

If this gets posted twice, thin overlook. I am green at this. I never saw it posted.

Congrats. to UC. :D I have said before that playing some of the teams early in the year that UC faced would help them in the big games like tonight. Weddle came thru in the clutch, but UC has more guns than some people think. They are not a one-horse show.

To go into Middleton and that hostile environemnt toniight and win shows that they are no pushover nor overrated.

Evidently the zebras from Memphis need some schooling on ref'ing the way Cawley and Rauchle sounded on the radio.

All the way UC in the 'boro next week. Represent West Tn., your district ,and Obion County well. We are supporting you and I know BHHvols in Athens, Tn. is rooting for you.

Edited by GHvolrebel

A great win by Union City and another monkey off the back of young Sisco. ... Now, the Tornadoes need to relax and dance with what brung'em.

According to the info I have -- and Cawley probably has better numbers and talked about on the broadcast (I was unable to go or listen) -- this was the first time Union City has won a substate/sectional game as a true road team. There have been a couple of neutral site wins, but never one as the true visitor.

UC's substate/sectional history:

1970: UC 60, Columbia 46 at Jackson

1971: Clarksville 63, UC 62 at Clarksville

1972: UC 71, Battle Ground Academy 51 at UT Martin

1978: Giles County 75, UC 61 at Centerville

1981: UC 57, Giles County 47 at Union City

1984: Memphis Kirby 80, UC 68 at Union City

1988: Memphis Carver 88, UC 85 (OT) at Union City

1989: Memphis Treadwell 101, UC 84 at Memphis

1990: UC 62, Memphis East 61 at Union City .... AA STATE CHAMPS

1991: Memphis Kingsbury 70, UC 56 a Memphis

1992: UC 60, Memphis Frayser 54 at Union City .... AA STATE CHAMPS

1993: UC 97, Harding Academy 92 (2OT) at Union City

1995: UC 73, Harding Academy 58 at Union City

1997: UC 66, Memphis Booker T. Washington 51 at Union City .... AA STATE CHAMPS

2006: UC 47, Middleton 46 at Middleton

A little aside .... The last time a UC head coach named Sisco took his Tornadoes to state for the first time, via a last-second, game-winning shot by the team's star player, UC won the state championship. .... Stanley Caldwell's tip-in at the buzzer beat Memphis East in 1990, and the Golden Gang went on to claim the first of three AA state championships in the Marty Sisco era ....

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON ? ? ?

Edited by NWTennSports

For those of you who might not think UC has played some tough competition (I'm ending the debate before it gets started), let's just look at Union City's LOSSES this season .... I choose losses b/c we live in a negative society.

Haywood ... has advanced to AA state tournament

Liberty ... has advanced to AA state tournament

Trigg County, Ky ... has advanced to Second Region Tournament semifinals (In Ky., there are no classes and the only second-chance game in the postseason is the district tournament championships, where both teams advance to the region. Then, teams have to win seven in a row to be state champ)

Forrest City, Ark. .... Advanced to state AAAAA Sweet 16 state tournament

Lake County ... UC eliminated the Falcons in the regional semifinals

Humboldt .... has advanced to the A state tournament.

Edited by NWTennSports

A little extra tid bit.....

The 89 substate game at Memphis Treadwell featured a fellow named Anfernee"Penny"Hardaway..He put on a display that night that I have not seen rivaled since...And I have seen Oak Hill play a few times and seen a couple of McDonalds All American games live....Freshman Stanley Caldwell had 21 points and 22 rebounds for Union City that night....

The 91 substate game at Memphis Kingsbury featured a Kingsbury team that finished the year as state champions with a measley 39-1 record...It was the most hostile enviroment I have ever been in....Unbelievable.....Union City ended the Falcons run the next year as they defeated Kingsbury in the semifinals of the state tournament.....The 91 Union City team was,in my estimation,the best team of the 3 Union City teams to win a state championship....Had Stanley Caldwell not been hurt with a turned ankle in the region semis and Kevin "Nudie" Treadwell not broken his tailbone near the end of the season,Union City never would have played that substate game in Memphis and had they played Kingsbury in the state tournament UC would have won Three state championships in a row.....

Who knocked UC out in 1993 and 1995? I had forgotten that they went to state those years...

A little extra tid bit.....

The 89 substate game at Memphis Treadwell featured a fellow named Anfernee"Penny"Hardaway..He put on a display that night that I have not seen rivaled since...And I have seen Oak Hill play a few times and seen a couple of McDonalds All American games live....Freshman Stanley Caldwell had 21 points and 22 rebounds for Union City that night....

The 91 substate game at Memphis Kingsbury featured a Kingsbury team that finished the year as state champions with a measley 39-1 record...It was the most hostile enviroment I have ever been in....Unbelievable.....Union City ended the Falcons run the next year as they defeated Kingsbury in the semifinals of the state tournament.....The 91 Union City team was,in my estimation,the best team of the 3 Union City teams to win a state championship....Had Stanley Caldwell not been hurt with a turned ankle in the region semis and Kevin "Nudie" Treadwell not broken his tailbone near the end of the season,Union City never would have played that substate game in Memphis and had they played Kingsbury in the state tournament UC would have won Three state championships in a row.....

Rodney Bonds was the glue to these teams...are any of these guys around UC any more?

Who knocked UC out in 1993 and 1995? I had forgotten that they went to state those years...

Rodney Bonds was the glue to these teams...are any of these guys around UC any more?

Sweetwater...Both years....

93 Union City lost on a last second shot after leading almost the entire game...The only time Union City, under Marty Sisco, actually choked at the end of a state tournament game....And Marty was 11-2 in state tournament games....That was the state semi-finals....

95 Union City lost in a blow-out to Sweetwater

For those of you who might not think UC has played some tough competition (I'm ending the debate before it gets started), let's just look at Union City's LOSSES this season .... I choose losses b/c we live in a negative society.

Trigg County, Ky ... has advanced to Second Region Tournament semifinals (In Ky., there are no classes and the only second-chance game in the postseason is the district tournament championships, where both teams advance to the region. Then, teams have to win seven in a row to be state champ)

They also lost to Bolivar....Two-time defending state champion going for a third next week....

Also,Union City went into Haywood County at the end of the regular season and came out with a win over the Tomcats....Marquis Weddle put 41 points in that game,a career high at the time....Haywood enters state tourney play at 31-4...

I would challenge anyone to do a little research and compare Union City's schedule with any of the remaining teams in the 1A brackets and see if their teams have a comparable schedule....The Bolivar game for some reason was deleted from the CoachT schedules....Union City lost that game 79-66 in Bolivar after trailing by only two points late in the game.....Union City's actual record is 27-9..But,if they would have done like many teams do now if they lose Hall of Fame games,their record would be 27-7....