USJ Athletics in trouble!

OC_ALUM_94

I can certainly understand that. I think I would be too.

And another thing, VG, not only is TSSAA taking away the trophies, I would now assume that they will be wiping away the records of the 2005 State Tourney. B was a part of setting or tieing 4 team/individual records during the State Tourney for homeruns, RBI's etc. We were looking forward to going to the Tourney this year and buying one of the programs that lists all of the record holders throughout the history of the tourney itself. Something that we as parents could put in with his other pics, awards, etc while growing up and looking back on one of these days. Guess what....GONE. It's a shame, a real shame.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..so I can see why a lot of folks were pretty steamed about the eventual punishments.

As a parent of a player on last year's team, I am not only steamed, I am p###ed at both the parents and the administration of these two players for even letting this infraction come close to happening. A lot of innocent young men will have to suffer for two sets of parents and an administration's ineptness.

The ineptness of a few directly affects the livelihoods of many. Sounds like our political system.

If no one knew the players were inelligible at the time, it falls into a grey area of unfortunate events. If someone knew and chose to ignore the situation, they are the guilty culprits. I think the fact they self reported shows proof that USJ is not an "cheating" out of control institution. If there were individual people involved in ignoring the atheletes were inelligible, I'm sure they will be dealt with. And I am sure USJ will have a better system in place to attempt to keep this from happening again.

And although the trophies are gone, the players still know they won the state championship on the field. I know all the USJ bashers are thrilled at the events, but it's time for a new baseball season. USJ needs to deal with this situation seriously, but it is their problem. The players just need to play baseball.

And another thing, VG, not only is TSSAA taking away the trophies, I would now assume that they will be wiping away the records of the 2005 State Tourney. B was a part of setting or tieing 4 team/individual records during the State Tourney for homeruns, RBI's etc. We were looking forward to going to the Tourney this year and buying one of the programs that lists all of the record holders throughout the history of the tourney itself. Something that we as parents could put in with his other pics, awards, etc while growing up and looking back on one of these days. Guess what....GONE. It's a shame, a real shame.

That is a shame, it is the players who will suffer the most.

Actually, from what I have heard, USJ is going to be in a heap of trouble for this. Is is not the damage controlled thing you folks are talking about. USJ has lost their Championship ball from last year according to reports, and will have to forfeit all of their football games from this past season. If that is because two kids were late on tuition, I might eat my hat. I think USJ should be banned from all TSSAA STate Tournament for at least 5-10 years for even attempting to pay a child's tuition.

i agree

I'm pretty sure all individual records/awards will stand. That is what we've been told.

I'm sorry for the innocent people in this situation, but rules are rules. Whether purposely or accidentally, and it does seem accidentally, rules were broken and consequences and punishments must follow.

My assumption is that it came up during the annual review of the schools books by their accounting firm. This is very poor administration. Even the simplest accounting software can give a detailed breakdown of an AR Aging schedules. The administration knew. The coaches may be innocent, but there is absolutely no excuse from an administration standpoint of something like this to ever happen.

OK...its out in the open now. But I still don`t know how this only came to light a year after the fact. I can understand USJ reporting it if John Burleson found out about it. He is a man of tremendous integrity, but can someone explain how it took so long for him to find out?

And there is one other thing that I`d like to know. This involved two players both of whom NEC indicated played on the baseball team last spring. Why then the football forfeits for this past fall? Did one or both of them play football? If so, did they get the tuition paid up over the summer and then fall off again during football season? My understanding is that you can`t get in school unless you have your first payment in at the beginning of school. So if that is the case, then if a student made their first payment at the beginning of school and they are on the 10 payment plan, football season would have been over before the time the student was overdue 60 + days. I`m just curious is all. It sounds like USJ allowed someone to enroll last fall that did not pay their initial payment. Also how far past 60 days were the expected payments?

I didn`t see the praise from Carter in the paper. Was this in the letter?

Kublah, I know you are proud of the school and want to shed good light on it, but frankly as an alum I`m a bit embarassed that they let this happen and also let it go on so long that it effected 2 sports, one in the spring and one in the fall. I`m eager to hear how the fall one came about in the light that the student was obviously way behind in the spring and allowed to come back in the fall without apparently paying tuition. And I for one was concerned about the cheating episode. I thought expulsions would be in order. I know USJ goes to great length to teach character and trust. From the USJ website...

..so I can see why a lot of folks were pretty steamed about the eventual punishments.

OK...its out in the open now. But I still don`t know how this only came to light a year after the fact. I can understand USJ reporting it if John Burleson found out about it. He is a man of tremendous integrity, but can someone explain how it took so long for him to find out?

And there is one other thing that I`d like to know. This involved two players both of whom NEC indicated played on the baseball team last spring. Why then the football forfeits for this past fall? Did one or both of them play football? If so, did they get the tuition paid up over the summer and then fall off again during football season? My understanding is that you can`t get in school unless you have your first payment in at the beginning of school. So if that is the case, then if a student made their first payment at the beginning of school and they are on the 10 payment plan, football season would have been over before the time the student was overdue 60 + days. I`m just curious is all. It sounds like USJ allowed someone to enroll last fall that did not pay their initial payment. Also how far past 60 days were the expected payments?

I didn`t see the praise from Carter in the paper. Was this in the letter?

Kublah, I know you are proud of the school and want to shed good light on it, but frankly as an alum I`m a bit embarassed that they let this happen and also let it go on so long that it effected 2 sports, one in the spring and one in the fall. I`m eager to hear how the fall one came about in the light that the student was obviously way behind in the spring and allowed to come back in the fall without apparently paying tuition. And I for one was concerned about the cheating episode. I thought expulsions would be in order. I know USJ goes to great length to teach character and trust. From the USJ website...

you probably wont ever see the praise

First off, I'm really mad about this ... My son Andrew was a senior last year. It was not a pleasant phone call he recieved from us yesterday. Tell Hunter Garrett who gave up 18 inches of his small intestine and came back to help his team win a state championship, tell Spencer Nelson who pitched the state championship game with a finger on his pitching hand filled with puss and swollen, tell Brian who broke state tournament records, tell Andrew who led the tournament in batting avg., tell Kennedy who waited all season to pitch, tell Ryan.. tell William .. tell them all...

I was at the meeting yesterday....The team gave alot to this school and gave it alot of great free publicity in the sports section of the paper. Anyone that knows them knows their character and the commintment they gave to the 2005 season. Right now I guess the last thing I want to hear is how we (USJ) stepped up and did the right thing. We are very disappointed. Bottom line is it should have never happened. We expect the kids to know the rules and go by them and I expect the school adminstration to do the same.

As far as we are concerned we are the 2005 Class A State Champions. We had the dog pile, we have the pictures ( with the TSSAA trophy), we have the highlight video of the season.. We have the state championship rings , we have the memories... nothing or noone can take that from us.

I do not blame any player or parents for this, we all have had hardships at some point in our lives.

This was written by a mom and her emotions, forgive me if I have stepped on feelings

Yeah...Probably so. I hate to hear it happened though. There`s already enough people around who think that private schools cheat just based on assumptions. I`m glad to hear the school reported it if thats the case.

Who should be held ultimately responsible in a case like that? Well don`t answer that here. But there has to be some sort of check and balance between the administration and athletic department. I know its not a coaches business to know what familiy is current on tuition and which ones aren`t, but it is his responsibilty to know which players are eligible. I`m confident the school will take better measures to ensure this won`t happen again.

a good coach would have known if his players were eligible.

First off, I'm really mad about this ... My son Andrew was a senior last year. It was not a pleasant phone call he recieved from us yesterday. Tell Hunter Garrett who gave up 18 inches of his small intestine and came back to help his team win a state championship, tell Spencer Nelson who pitched the state championship game with a finger on his pitching hand filled with puss and swollen, tell Brian who broke state tournament records, tell Andrew who led the tournament in batting avg., tell Kennedy who waited all season to pitch, tell Ryan.. tell William .. tell them all...

I was at the meeting yesterday....The team gave alot to this school and gave it alot of great free publicity in the sports section of the paper. Anyone that knows them knows their character and the commintment they gave to the 2005 season. Right now I guess the last thing I want to hear is how we (USJ) stepped up and did the right thing. We are very disappointed. Bottom line is it should have never happened. We expect the kids to know the rules and go by them and I expect the school adminstration to do the same.

As far as we are concerned we are the 2005 Class A State Champions. We had the dog pile, we have the pictures ( with the TSSAA trophy), we have the highlight video of the season.. We have the state championship rings , we have the memories... nothing or noone can take that from us.

I do not blame any player or parents for this, we all have had hardships at some point in our lives.

This was written by a mom and her emotions, forgive me if I have stepped on feelings

why do you not blame parents they knew their kids tutition was not paid. they knew the rules. they knew they would win. they knew the consequences. why didnt they do something about it. if you want to be mad be mad at everyone. you were on the team, did you not know one of them had not paid. every one in town new it. did they just think they would get away with it. seems like a long time reporting it.