All-Americans

Skeeter07

How about James Banker from MBA for top defenseman? While Jackson has 6 take aways and 16 loose balls, Banker has 24 take aways and 26 loose balls. Those stats seem pretty lopsided so I wouldn't be saying Jackson is the hands down best defender in the state.

McCallie's info on statsdepot has only been updated through their gilman game so Jackson has those stats for 4 games, while banker's numbers are for 10 games.

On a stats per game basis, Jackson has 1.5 take aways per game, and 4 ground balls per game. Banker has 2.4 TA and 2.6 GB. Putting the two at a sort of stalemate by that point of reference. Though I have no doubt that Banker is a very good pole the numbers arent clear enough to establish him as better than the 1st team all state stud that the swab is.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ravenwood has a lot of depth. a few potential all american candidates in a few different positions. theres no certain star on the team because of the depth, so that in a way takes away from some of the recognition that many of the players should be recieving. but ravenwood could (depending on the rest of the season), potentially produce an all american.

ravenwood has a lot of depth. a few potential all american candidates in a few different positions. theres no certain star on the team because of the depth, so that in a way takes away from some of the recognition that many of the players should be recieving. but ravenwood could (depending on the rest of the season), potentially produce an all american.

neat, perhaps you could give us a name or two? seriously, the suspense is killing me

McCallie's info on statsdepot has only been updated through their gilman game so Jackson has those stats for 4 games, while banker's numbers are for 10 games.

On a stats per game basis, Jackson has 1.5 take aways per game, and 4 ground balls per game. Banker has 2.4 TA and 2.6 GB. Putting the two at a sort of stalemate by that point of reference. Though I have no doubt that Banker is a very good pole the numbers arent clear enough to establish him as better than the 1st team all state stud that the swab is.

I tend to agree with you on the stats here. There's a lot of issues there ranging from students keeping track of the stats and their knowledge of what really constitutes a take away, to level of competition, to what style of defense and supporting cast the player is a part of. Stats are certainly a supporting criteria that should be taken into consideration, but you kind of have to take them with a grain of salt. When I think of an all-american defenseman, I think of a player who can handle the ball and check well, but it is usually someone who significantly alters the opposing offensive unit. It's kind of an intangible, but when you see it, you know it. Having said that, I think Banker should certainly garner some attention for the honor. He's the anchor on MBA's squad. I've also never seen Tom Jackson play, but from everything I've heard, he's the defenseman to beat for the honor. Then again, could there be two poles to win the honor? I think Cahill has done a good job of putting his name at the top of the list so far this year as well.

I agree with you there Redtwin. But if you are talking about stopping the opposing players, then there is no way Tom Jackson can be beaten for this honor. As a junior last year he shut down players such as Dan Gibson (Twice), Chris Cahill, and Tommy Dallisandro (Charlotte CD). He has yet to find an attackman that is too much for him, and has continued this pattern so far throughout his senior year as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Jackson in national event

McCallie’s Tom Jackson has been selected as the Tennessee representative to the national high school senior lacrosse showcase in St. Louis.

The best 12 th-graders in the nation are brought in to compete in the all-star tournament June 23-25. Jackson is a defensive player for the two-time defending state champion Blue Tornado.

Jackson in national event

McCallie’s Tom Jackson has been selected as the Tennessee representative to the national high school senior lacrosse showcase in St. Louis.

The best 12 th-graders in the nation are brought in to compete in the all-star tournament June 23-25. Jackson is a defensive player for the two-time defending state champion Blue Tornado.

That's quite an accomplishment. Is that the same thing as the former North/South all-star game?

The thing that has made me angry in the past is that all americans are picked because of stats. McCallie has many great players, three who could be all americans but they do not have the stats because the team isnt focused around one player. Cahill might have the stats but he doesnt have talent like Austin Colpini or David Hughes. Im not saying that he isnt a great player but i just dont think that his talent can match these two offensive players.