best lead-off's

wskbaseball

I'm limited to 7AAA because that is basically the only district I follow, and I think this district is blessed with some great leadoffs.

I'd have to say P.J. Polk is this districts best leadoff. He can hit with power and for average, and can run the basepaths very well. From what I've heard, Choate from Riverdale isn't leading off anymore, but I know he was a pretty good leadoff. He lacked in the speed department, but he makes up for it with his knowledge at the plate.

Leadoff hitter's must have the ability to make the pitcher throw 5-6 pitches every at bat and be a smart base runner, while keeping their on base percentage near .450 in my opinion.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm limited to 7AAA because that is basically the only district I follow, and I think this district is blessed with some great leadoffs.

I'd have to say P.J. Polk is this districts best leadoff. He can hit with power and for average, and can run the basepaths very well. From what I've heard, Choate from Riverdale isn't leading off anymore, but I know he was a pretty good leadoff. He lacked in the speed department, but he makes up for it with his knowledge at the plate.

Leadoff hitter's must have the ability to make the pitcher throw 5-6 pitches every at bat and be a smart base runner, while keeping their on base percentage near .450 in my opinion.

Choate definately does not lack anything in the speed department, but other than that a very nice post.

• 2 weeks later...

Your not a good leadoff hitter if you lead your team in strikeouts

Not necessarily true. Strike out ratio is more important. The leadoff hitter gets more at bats than any other player during the course of a season. If I bat ten times and strike out once I would have a ten percent strike out ratio. If you bat 100 times and strike out 10 times you would have a strike out ratio of ten percent but you struck out 10 times as much as I did. Get it? Maybe you should stick to analyzing basketball.........much easier.

Well, I'll play Mr. Obvious and be a serious homer at the same time here but,,,,

Jonathon Deberry is a 2 time All-Starter. He Plays CF and is the best lead off I've seen in high school play. On base he is a serious threat. Its hard to find any player on the field with more speed than Deberry and he is as equally dangerous at the plate.

Edited by PrepFanatic