Metro Football

shadow

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey shadow. Before bigchief got us sidetracked we were talking about some of the best Metro staffs. I believe we've had 70's Maplewood, 80's and early 90's Overton, 80's McGavock, 90's Startford and Hillsboro's current staffs mentioned. I also threw in some of your SHS staffs were pretty good. I'll add some of the old Dupont staffs to the list, too. Any thoughts?

I agree , the bunch at MW had the best collection of coaches, and most of them ended up head coaches elsewhere. Bill Brimm at Madison had good staffs in late 50s and 60s. McG when it opened, and the Creek when it opened had several to be head coaches. Coach Frost at Good. had an outstanding staff during his tenure, and MBA and Ryan[not public] always had good football staffs. Some of this stuff dates me , but it was the greatest period of time to be a football coach.

What is the biggest difference between coaching staffs today compared to coaching staffs of yesterday. Most times today there is not a staff(enough coaches).

Most assistant coaches [back when] had ambitions to be a head coach. They studied, went to clinics, bought books, visited college staffs and talked football with each other during the off season. Head coaches also helped us by discussing buying equipment, filling out paperwork, and other off field duties. The schools competed on friday nights, but the coaches spent time with each other talking football. We even had a coaches basketball and softball team that play in metro leagues. Important-- we respected each other's work ethic.

P.S. Coach Dunn had some really good staffs at AHS.

I don't like metro football....Mcgavock, Whites Creek, and Glencliff are the only teams i think could maybe contend somewhere else....Antioch will have NO preston or cole, meaning no offense....

r u serious come on now antioch would always be a contender in any other division and hunters lane has a solid defensive backfield this year led by upcoming junior dallas payne the kid has great speed and great hands i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt lead his league with interceptions and tackles

u wouldnt know a good coach if u seen one why do u think hunters lane brought in the guy from stratford to take your job its cuz u couldnt get the job done and every year that shows when hunters lane is done playing after the first week of the playoffs

If there was a hall of shame for the dumbest posts ever on coacht this one would be a first ballot inductee. Love shadow or hate shadow (and I assure you he couldn't care less), but if you don't respect him and what he accomplished in 31 years as a metro head coach, you have no sense at all.

You are right about Coach not caring if you like or dislike him. It is all about respect. Nobody cared about kids or worked harder than he did. He won alot of games and did what he thought was right, that's all that matters. There are coaches winning now that have sold out their values just to win. They are not happy because they know it is wrong. This game is not all about winning at this level. Look at the highest levels of ball trying to win with super talented players. It is not even working at that level.

Edited by runtheball

u wouldnt know a good coach if u seen one why do u think hunters lane brought in the guy from stratford to take your job its cuz u couldnt get the job done and every year that shows when hunters lane is done playing after the first week of the playoffs

I forgot to mention earlier, just to show how ill informed you are, "the guy from Stratford" you mentioned is Richard Campbell. He wasn't brought in to replace coach. Greg Abner was there for a year between the two before he went back to Glencliff.

Edited by got rio?