Boy's State Tournament Attendance

Switchhitter

Some thoughts to ponder:

1) You're not going to have any kind of attendance like UKs regardless of talent if your having this shin-dig at the Murphy Center. Its not big enough for one, and two - its horrible to get to anyways. Traffic was brutal this week, even going after a session break.

2) Its hard to compete with the NCAA tourney (and the girls for the SEC tourney - especially when its just up the road).

3) If you seeded this thing, it would be a lot better. If you seed it you probably end up with Mitchell/Bolivar in AA and Hamilton/Raliegh Egypt in AAA. That would've packed out the Murphy Center on Saturday.

But, when the exec. director wants to cut the event to a final four and combine boys and girls in order to save costs, he may do everything he can in order to get exactly what he wants.

If the attendance is up from 2005, I'll bet you the attendance "didnt meet expectations" (of course, what are "expectations") - furthering the cause for the reduction of this event into a final four.

your exec grew up in mississippi and he wants to run the tourney like his buddy ennis proctor does.....it makes money but it is horrible for people wanting to attend......as far as comparing ky to tn.....there is no comparison......the mystique of the sweet 16 is unmatched.....it is just a pleasure to attend that thing much less coach in it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think they should change the number of teams who make the state tournament. One change I think they need to make is the way they pair the teams up in the brackets. Personally, I would rather see them draw out the pairings like they used to do. This added a little intrigue to the week and assured everyone a fair chance when they got to the state tournament. No one could complain about their pairings because it was just the "luck of the draw." Besides, it doesn't matter when teams play each other. In the end, the best team is going to win the tournament.

In the end, the best team is going to win the tournament.

I disagree with that.

You could potentially have a situation where the best team is paired with a bad match-up for their team.

High school basketball is all about match-ups.

But I dont know how you seed this tournament. You can't use overall record, because some teams play a lot of teams outside of their classification - and that wouldnt be fair.

Perhaps something like counting in classification records and giving a multiplier formula for wins against teams in other classifications.

Nothing would be perfect, but - I think it beats having two of the better teams matched-up in the first round.