BA vs. TSSAA Ruling In

itzme

Here's the entire ruling that came down, for those "legal eagles" in the crowd. Bottom line is BA prevails in all major issues, and TSSAA owes BA attorney's fees from this whole long 8 year battle. I'm sure some accomodation will be made there.

Sad that TSSAA started this whole silly thing just to placate some envious coaches.

http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/newopn.pl?puid=0

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now Brentwood Academy can recruit as many division one players as it takes to make coach Flatt a great coach again!

Simple solution

1. Don't schedule them ever

2. multiplier should be doubled

Now all schools can call any player they wish

thanks BA you have now won, go and recruit you hearts out and then pay for players to play for you and then when you win you can have that great feeling of

Knowing you can recruit better players than everybody.

I would say this all but assures a complete public private split and could signal the end of the TSSAA as we know it.

Sometimes be careful what you wish for you just might get it.

Now Brentwood Academy can recruit as many division one players as it takes to make coach Flatt a great coach again!

Simple solution

thanks BA you have now won, go and recruit you hearts out and then pay for players to play for you and then when you win you can have that great feeling of

I would say this all but assures a complete public private split and could signal the end of the TSSAA as we know it.

That sounds like sour grapes to me.

Simple solution

Your simple "solution" may be grounds for action. According to Lee Barfield, the attorney for BA, "If a group of competitors gets together and agrees to boycott another group, that's grounds for action.". The creation of DII was an arbitrary and punitive action and now it appears the TSSAA may have to answer for that action. Who could argue that the multiplier rule is any different?

It appears that the TSSAA recruiting rules will need to change according to the court. I have always believed that the TSSAA made this situation worse by hitting BA with a $100 punishment for a 2 cent crime and then was too stubborn to cut their losses and settle. The TSSAA tried to bully BA and BA did not back down. So, the TSSAA made its bed and now has to lie in it.

I think this is a sad day for high school athletics. Maybe, cooler heads will now prevail and the two sides can work this out. The TSSAA may change dramatically but perhaps not in the manner that "82cat" seems to think it will.

Simple solution

Try reading and comprending the facts of the case before you comment.

The Appeals Court Judge has affirmed BA's position in the case and made

it quite clear that the TSSAA has opened itself to antitrust action which

may very well get rid of the public/private split.

Also, if BA has committed a vast array of recruiting violations, then why

did the TSSAA hang it's hat on such a weak technical argument

(letters to 12 middle school kids that had already signed enrollment

contracts to BA).

If they had legitimate violations, then they would have acted on

them. TSSAA went to court with the best they had and got slapped

down by both the Supreme Court and Appeals Court.

Your simple "solution" may be grounds for action. According to Lee Barfield, the attorney for BA, "If a group of competitors gets together and agrees to boycott another group, that's grounds for action.". The creation of DII was an arbitrary and punitive action and now it appears the TSSAA may have to answer for that action. Who could argue that the multiplier rule is any different?

It appears that the TSSAA recruiting rules will need to change according to the court. I have always believed that the TSSAA made this situation worse by hitting BA with a $100 punishment for a 2 cent crime and then was too stubborn to cut their losses and settle. The TSSAA tried to bully BA and BA did not back down. So, the TSSAA made its bed and now has to lie in it.

I think this is a sad day for high school athletics. Maybe, cooler heads will now prevail and the two sides can work this out. The TSSAA may change dramatically but perhaps not in the manner that "82cat" seems to think it will.

I agree with much of what you say, except that you understate it. This was really all about TSSAA applying what almost amounted to a "death penalty" for a made up violation. What this whole thing really brings to light is the weakness and poor judgment of Ronnie Carter. Weakness by caving in to the public school coaches and pursuing a made-up case, and poor judgment by assuming that BA would cave to such a preposterous vendetta.

TSSAA is simply reaping what they sowed. It will be interesting to see if the state employees that run TSSAA will now take out their anger on Mr. Carter for doing their bidding.

And 82Cat, why are you so angry at a school that was wrongly accused defending themselves? If you were personally accused of a crime you did not commit, wouldn't you do the same?

In reality, the TSSAA recruiting rule has not been in force since the US Supreme Court ruling happened. I think all the independent schools have shown good faith by not going out and blatantly recruiting in the interim. I believe most independent schools, including BA, have no wish to see TSSAA go away. What everyone wants is a more balanced, less arbitrary organization to govern high school sports.

;) If the private schools can self police, there won't be a problem. If the TSSAA can't enforce the wishes of the majority, then I see a definitive public/private split and the public schools simply won't have to schedule the private ones in any sport. It seems to me the end result will be a complete public/private split. Who wins then? Edited by ksgovols

;) If the private schools can self police, there won't be a problem. If the TSSAA can't enforce the wishes of the majority, then I see a definitive public/private split and the public schools simply won't have to schedule the private ones in any sport. It seems to me the end result will be a complete public/private split. Who wins then?

What I gathered from reading the entire ruling is that the TSSAA can't toss member schools out of the organization - so no complete split- for the purpose of leveling the playing field nor can they apply other measures that are not applied to all member schools for purpose of punishing or leveling a subset of schools - like the multiplier as the TSSAA is an instrument of the state.

I personally don't think the multiplier will last much longer now ... unless the TSSAA can waste more $$$ dragging this thing out in court.

They need to get proactive and come up with a REAL system that works. A merit system would be perfect. Each team determines their own fate. No arbitrary leveling or punishing.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

What I gathered from reading the entire ruling is that the TSSAA can't toss member schools out of the organization - so no complete split- for the purpose of leveling the playing field nor can they apply other measures that are not applied to all member schools for purpose of punishing or leveling a subset of schools - like the multiplier as the TSSAA is an instrument of the state.

I personally don't think the multiplier will last much longer now ... unless the TSSAA can waste more $$$ dragging this thing out in court.

They need to get proactive and come up with a REAL system that works. A merit system would be perfect. Each team determines their own fate. No arbitrary leveling or punishing.

I agree in principle even though I think the current public/private system has some kinks. It can't be enrollment based, hence the multiplier. I do agree that a merit system has the most, ummmm, merit!

The issues concerning open boundaries for the publics and recruiting for some privates will still be around. Hopefully there is a common ground. The other option is seems would be for the public schools to join a governing body that only allowed public schools to join and so the privates would be out by definition. I hope there is an equitable compromise.