Columbia Central Lions

FOOTBALL81

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Columbia Central will have a hard time competing until they get new facilities. The facilities in Maury County as a whole are "BAD". It's hard to compete at the 5A level when your facilities are that bad, and most of the schools you compete against have newer schools with great facilities. Coach Belew will be ok and his staff is pretty good with the exception of a few coaches. I do believe they need to look at their defense. They don't have the size / strength to run the 50. The city of Columbia as a whole has a drug / drinking problem. It's hard to have discipline when the ONLY discipline some of them get is at athletics / school. In my opinion, the major difference between why the Jr. high wins and the Sr. high doesn't is scheduling and the fact that the Jr. high players can't drive yet so they aren't tempeted as much Not To Play.

I agree. Columbia used to be very strong in football. They had great support and Coach Cartwright was one of the best.

Cartwright underachieved also. He had teams that played below their potental almost every year. He never followed up a good year on a consistant basis.

My point is not to down play Cartwright's ability to coach but to point out that Columbia has rarely made any noise in terms of a quality football program.

I use to be a coach in the Columbia system, as well as a football coach there. It is very easy to say that the coach is weak and has a lack of discipline. Give the football program the support of the band at Columbia and one might see a difference. I do not know of the turmoil but coach Belew is an outstanding coach and Columbia has lots of bad elements that are pulling athletes away from football between WHitthorne and the high school. Than my friends is parneting, coaches have influence but little control when players leave the school facilities. Whitthorne is one of the biggest middle schools in the state and at that level athleticism can cover up for a lack of discipline, but not at the Varsity level. It always entertains me when people think just because you win at the Middle school level it should carry over to the high school. Different players different schedules. Obviously Columbia is one of the smaller 5a schools, they go back and forth from 4a to 5a.

I am sure all of you folks bashing coach could do a much better job yourself.