Dekalb

Just a BBall Fan

Yeah, i heard she quit...this has to be affecting the coach in some way! She acts like she doesnt even care and after games i hear her family telling her that what is going on isnt her fault. She needs to wake up and realize that this team is her responsibility and noone elses! You could bet that if we were undefeated right now she would be happy to take all the credit! Yes, im sure people realize that this is probably one of the youngest teams that DC has had in a while but i know that the girls from the middle school had at least two twenty win seasons and in both of the past two years have been one game away from playing for a state championship. If anything, the talent in DC is on the rise, they just havent been developed. What is happening now may ruin their high school career.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Middle School to High School are two different ball games!!!!!! In middle school sometomes you do not work as hard as high school programs, you are just better than those two or three county schools and other small schools that you play.

The Dekalb situation is becoming a very sticky situation with parents getting way to involved now. At some point the coach is going to have to step in buck and up and put her foot down. Either resign and end the problem or work her tail off the rest of the season and see what happens. But like some other post on this board about other schools parents being to involved with the program it is happening here also.

Parents can voice judgements about situations and that is fine, but to show up at the school and blast her, go to the board and blast her, have a parent walk across the gym during a ballgame and remove her daughter from the bench becasue the coach did not put her in is just senseless.

If a player is not playing sometimes maybe it is there fault maybe they don't work that hard. I have seen Dekalb play in my humble judgement she is playing people that need to be playing. Her bench is not very good, they do not pay attention during the game. Does she do a good job of coaching, NO, it is not all of the players fault do not get me wrong. Granted I have only seen the Upperman game and saw how she acted but sometimes that happens.

With all this said I wish the Tigerettes the best of luck the rest of the year. Play hard and work hard. Only the girls on the team can fix the problem and quitting is not the way to fix it, work hard and overcome your other problems.

Here are just a few schools on the middle school's schedule: Walter J. Baird, Jackson Co., Cornerstone(Baxter), Southside, Rickman, and he ALWAYS takes them to two different state tournaments, TNT and James C. Haile. As a matter of fact, he doesnt even schedule a game with the other jr. high team in the county because they usually arent competitive enough. No one can say these girls do not play a brutal schedule in middle school and it can only better prepare them for the high school game.

I am telling you there is a huge difference between middle school and high school. Can middle school get you ready for high school yes. But here is a question for you. Skills are developed in middle school and grammar school just fine tuned in high school correct. Some of the Lady Tigers ball handling skills are horrible, shooting forms not good and proper defensive techniques not good at all. That is the stuff that middle school and grammar school coaches should be teaching, not worrying about how many wins they garner. Your middle school coaches and high school coaches ar not on the same page at all and it shows. Maybe problem stands with the ego of your middle school coaches not wanting to help the high school program achieve at high levels because the skills are not being taught.

Of those teams mentioned, they all have middle school and high schools on the same page. Either an assistant or someone close to the high school program are coaching those teams. Also the skills are being taught to those girls from day one not touched on from day to day.

the situation at Dekalb is not going to be fixed in one year, it needs wholesale cleaning of people, bring in new blood and give it time. It will need three to five years for a quality coach to come in and fix the damage. This program is the Titanic and it has already sunk will it ever be recovered?

Here are just a few schools on the middle school's schedule: Walter J. Baird, Jackson Co., Cornerstone(Baxter), Southside, Rickman, and he ALWAYS takes them to two different state tournaments, TNT and James C. Haile. As a matter of fact, he doesnt even schedule a game with the other jr. high team in the county because they usually arent competitive enough. No one can say these girls do not play a brutal schedule in middle school and it can only better prepare them for the high school game.

Thank you DC tiger Fan 07 some people around here are finally seeing that the kids are playing the same kids in middle school as high school. To add to your list is Warren Co., Middle Tennessee Christian in M'boro, Woodbury (Cannon Co.), Rickman (Livingston), and then they play in the Warren Co. Christmas tourney every year and play teams like Van Buren, Sequatchie, ect. The DMS girls have a tough schedule. I think that Coach Agee is doing a great job and has helped to mold the girls that have played for him into good players and some even great but for some very odd reason the talent begins to fizzle at the high school level. I do not think that the coach has total control over everything that happens on the floor for various reasons. Sometimes the kids minds are focused elsewhere, they are tired, nervous, ect. but for the majority the coach has to take control and lead the team to victory.

How can the middle school be as successful as it is without its players having basic skills?You notice that our starting point guard is a freshman! Yes, she is going to have problems hanlding the ball against better and older defenders! Another little fact about her, she is the middle school's all time leading scorer. I yhink we both are overlooking the fact that the high school lost 5 seniors last year so the majority of the team is freshmen or players that did not see a lot of playing time last year. But either way, the middle school cannot have such yearly success without talent and the appropiate skills being taught to them.

I am telling you there is a huge difference between middle school and high school. Can middle school get you ready for high school yes. But here is a question for you. Skills are developed in middle school and grammar school just fine tuned in high school correct. Some of the Lady Tigers ball handling skills are horrible, shooting forms not good and proper defensive techniques not good at all. That is the stuff that middle school and grammar school coaches should be teaching, not worrying about how many wins they garner. Your middle school coaches and high school coaches ar not on the same page at all and it shows. Maybe problem stands with the ego of your middle school coaches not wanting to help the high school program achieve at high levels because the skills are not being taught.

Of those teams mentioned, they all have middle school and high schools on the same page. Either an assistant or someone close to the high school program are coaching those teams. Also the skills are being taught to those girls from day one not touched on from day to day.

the situation at Dekalb is not going to be fixed in one year, it needs wholesale cleaning of people, bring in new blood and give it time. It will need three to five years for a quality coach to come in and fix the damage. This program is the Titanic and it has already sunk will it ever be recovered?

To basketballnut: The skills are being taught at the middle school level and seem to be working. If you do not have fundamental skills you can't win ballgames and they do and lots of them. There is one correct statement in your comments is that the skills are not being fine tuned. Not sure why the girls in middle school can shoot, score, dribble, play defense, know the plays, ect and for some reason don't do it at the high school. I have heard from quite a few of the freshmen that the coach has no idea what is going on and neither do the players as far as plays. In the middle school they could run many plays and get them right. It looks like the girls now are running around in circles trying to find their position. It all comes down to the coaching on that part. As far as the middle school and high school coaches being on the same page.... Last I heard Tobbitt said that "she did not need any help". She should be asking the middle school coach for some pointers as he does know what he is doing and as I keep saying, the same kids are playing the same kids at the high school level as they did in middle school.

The high school lost five seniors off a team that was 3-26 come on give me a break. Whose fault is that!! If I am the coach and I was going to lose I think that I would lose with my younger kids, get them experience and get ready for the next couple of years. But from what I have been told that is and was not her coaching ways last year and that is her fault.

The subject matter here is that Dekalb basketball is in some serious trouble. If there is not somrhting done and done in a professional manner it will never recover I do not care how many wins the middle school team has.

The adminstration at DCHS needs to decide how commited they are to winning. There are plenty of young coaches out there looking for a fresh start and ready to bring excitment out there. My personal judgement is that it needs to be someone with no ties at all to Smithville or Dekalb County High School. The new coach needs to have no ties to anyone, not be related to anyone or have worked in the school system before. You want chage it has to start there.

If they know she is not coming back and I was principal, athletic director or boys basketball coach, I would be getting a list ready of possible canidates who could come in and make a positive change to this program.

Just for fun who would be a list of canidates that you would go after?

Why is it that you think we need someone from out of town? We have already tried that route with Coach Holly White and Victor Harrison. No one is going to want to come to a losing team. They need someone in there that cares about the kids and that wants so badly to see them succeed and cares about sports in the county. I don't care if they are from Dekalb county; it matters about their integrity, drive, passion, and knowledge of basketball and how the game is played, and what it takes to win and most importantly has EXPERIENCE. I know in the past politics usually play a big role in the kids that play or make the team but if they hire the right person and do it fairly based on pure stats then it should not be a problem. I am sure as you can tell I am a Coach Agee advocate and think he would do an excellent job as the next DCHS girls basketball coach but if someone else is chosen I just hope that they choose someone with the above characteristics and I would wish them the best of luck!

Coach Agee has already had that chance as an assistant at DCHS under Coach White and the reult was just the same, he was involved in that program and not much improvement was made during those year either correct? It is great that you support Coach Agee and that is your right, but I just think that he is not the answer. If he gets the job at the end of the year and turns it around I will be the first to get on here and give him his props. As well as you should also, but I gurantee that you will not get on here and run him down like you have Tolbitt if he fails.

Besides Agee give your wish list.

Coach Agee has already had that chance as an assistant at DCHS under Coach White and the reult was just the same, he was involved in that program and not much improvement was made during those year either correct? It is great that you support Coach Agee and that is your right, but I just think that he is not the answer. If he gets the job at the end of the year and turns it around I will be the first to get on here and give him his props. As well as you should also, but I gurantee that you will not get on here and run him down like you have Tolbitt if he fails.

Besides Agee give your wish list.

Agee came into the DCHS program in January of that season well after the preseason training and practice was over and 3/4 into the season as an assistant straight out of college. He helped the next year but also coached the middle school. He was an assistant at he high school with only two months of coaching under his belt and it was not his team to run. You can see that he runs an effective team now and is experienced. As far as my wishlist.... maybe Coach Bond but pickings are pretty slim. If Agee didn't succeed I would get on here and tell it like it is just as I have done Tobbitt. I am not trying to run her into the ground but I do not think that she is in any way an asset to the program. If Agee can't turn it around then he should hang up coaching but my bet is riding on him. I would almost guarantee that if he came in after christmas the girls would at least see a couple of wins and hang in there with some of the others. I agree that the program is sinking and something needs to be done. Why not give my pick a shot.... it definitely couldn't be any worse than it is now.