Dekalb

Just a BBall Fan

Just for fun who would be a list of canidates that you would go after?

I am just an outsider, but you all have THE PERFECT choice and he is already in your county....Randy Jennings! He has successful coaching experience at the middle school and high school levels. Additionally, he is very well respected and would get the program headed in the right direction. Any thoughts????

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I am Coach Agee. There are many things wrong with Girls basketball as a whole in Dekalb County. There isn't a "game plan" for the lack of a better word in the county, no one is on the same page. That includes Jr. Pro, West School, Middle School, and High School. That's the first thing that has to change. It has to be a building block system. We need to improve the fundamental developement at an earlier age. I have to spend alot of time on basic fundemetals of the game. (dribbling, passing and shooting correctly) Those things need to developed in 4th/5th grades. I don't expect them to be pistol pete but that would help. I could enhance those skills and work more on things like man to man defense, defending pick and rolls, learning how to read a screen, etc... getting them ready for the high school game. All I know is that I am trying to do the best that I can to improve girls basketball in Dekalb couty.

Let me clear other things up that have been written on this board. I was interested in the High School job when it became open. Yes, I would be interested in it if it came open again but thats not in my hands. I am very happy a Dekalb Middle. All I can do is do my best to improve the girls at the middle school and that is all that I can worry about. Every thing else will take care of itself. I am going to contiune to work hard, and work the girls that I have hard, and try to make them the best basketball players that I can.

I know you, and Im sure you have no idea who this is, but let me help you. From one coach to another-- Do not get caught up in this garbage. 1) Be thatnkful that however it is alot of negative talk, however it is talk. So you know that there is alot of interest left in the program. 2) You do your job, like you have been Im sure, and let things work themselves out. 3) The "hometown" boy has alot of positives to help you build back up a program. However people like "JustaFan" is the only negative. This is probably somebody you made mad after third period your senior year. --2000-- leads me to believe this is someone you went to school with. Do not take the "hometown boy" comment in a negative way. Smithville probably should open their eyes and see that this means you have not left yet, and are still dedicated. Therefore, you will stay dedicated, and will not leave until you have revamped the program. 4) Anyway, dont post here, read it, and take it all in stride. Dont show people that your involvement gets personal, except for only when it deals with your kids. Keep Diggin!

First of all I am Coach Agee. There are many things wrong with Girls basketball as a whole in Dekalb County. There isn't a "game plan" for the lack of a better word in the county, no one is on the same page. That includes Jr. Pro, West School, Middle School, and High School. That's the first thing that has to change. It has to be a building block system. We need to improve the fundamental developement at an earlier age. I have to spend alot of time on basic fundemetals of the game. (dribbling, passing and shooting correctly) Those things need to developed in 4th/5th grades. I don't expect them to be pistol pete but that would help. I could enhance those skills and work more on things like man to man defense, defending pick and rolls, learning how to read a screen, etc... getting them ready for the high school game. All I know is that I am trying to do the best that I can to improve girls basketball in Dekalb couty.

Let me clear other things up that have been written on this board. I was interested in the High School job when it became open. Yes, I would be interested in it if it came open again but thats not in my hands. I am very happy a Dekalb Middle. All I can do is do my best to improve the girls at the middle school and that is all that I can worry about. Every thing else will take care of itself. I am going to contiune to work hard, and work the girls that I have hard, and try to make them the best basketball players that I can.

Um well maybe you could tell the coach that her inspiration for the district shouldnt be watching the film from last years LA game....maybe you would be better fit, cause they cant hang with LA or other teams in the district, how long has it been since a district win?

I know you, and Im sure you have no idea who this is, but let me help you. From one coach to another-- Do not get caught up in this garbage. 1) Be thatnkful that however it is alot of negative talk, however it is talk. So you know that there is alot of interest left in the program. 2) You do your job, like you have been Im sure, and let things work themselves out. 3) The "hometown" boy has alot of positives to help you build back up a program. However people like "JustaFan" is the only negative. This is probably somebody you made mad after third period your senior year. --2000-- leads me to believe this is someone you went to school with. Do not take the "hometown boy" comment in a negative way. Smithville probably should open their eyes and see that this means you have not left yet, and are still dedicated. Therefore, you will stay dedicated, and will not leave until you have revamped the program. 4) Anyway, dont post here, read it, and take it all in stride. Dont show people that your involvement gets personal, except for only when it deals with your kids. Keep Diggin!

I think this is good advise. I have seen coach Agee's teams over the years and they always seem to hold their own. But I have notice that some things change between middle and high school. Asking a 7th grader to go against an 8th grader is no large feat but often asking the best 9th grader to face a middle of the road 11-12th grader can pose larger problems. I think coach Agee hit the nail on the head that there has to be more development at an earlier age. If he is having to teach fundamental basketball at the 7-8th grade level it is late in the game. According to bystanders that is what coach Tobitt has also had to do. She stepped into a position last year with junior and senior players who couldn't box out, dribble strongly with their non dominant hand or simply carry out what most would consider elementary basic skills. This is not to blame the process, but at some point it has to become a joint effort between the community, the middle school and other developmental arenas, as well as the team and their coach. I think coach Agee spoke from the heart when he said don't judge my character. I think this goes for the current coach. Everyone seems to be so caught up in tearing her down as a coach that they forget her as a person. They some how judge her in that way as that is who she is and I think that is unfair. Coaching is a job. I think we forget that from time to time. Coaching in a small town is like being and actor or rock star. You find yourself being spoken about as though people really know you, you get your face and details pasted in the paper, others write critcisms about you in speak out columns but do any of us really ever have all the details or do we just make assumptions. My favorite quote was on this site earlier in the week, when someone said that after games coach Tobitt's family tells her it will be alright and it is not all of her fault, but if she was winning they felt she would take all the glory. That statement made me think that life is such a contradiction in terms. If you lose it is all coaching but if you win it must be the players or skill/luck. Seems kind of a harsh double standard. Coach Agee I think you got great advice from Wooden Jr to try and not take it personal. If you or coach Tobitt took it all personal and had to personally address every naaa sayer then you wouldn't have time to coach. Good luck to both of you.

The coaching stiuation will eventually work itself out. The girls need to work hard and play hard everytime they step on the floor. No matter who coaches this team it is a hrad task. Bonedoc you are correct in saying that when she took over the girls knew nothing, but coaches also have to learn and teach the things that there kids do not know. If they do not know how to teahc those skills it is the coaches responsibility to find that answer or get the help to teach those kids and not pass it of or push it to the side. Is coaching a hard profession, you bet, because you are never going to do everything right and at sometime in your career you are going to make a mistake or a call or a judgement that not everyone is going to agree with, but hey that is life and you must move on and correct those mistakes. When a coach does not correct mistakes is when there is a problem.

The million dollar repsonse from parents and other fans is if I was the coach I would have done this or that, but those people never want to step into the field becasue they could not handle the pressure, they just like to judge other people and talk about coaches in bad ways.

If Dekalb was winning any games right now I promise you there would be no talk of this at all. But thats how it goes you lose and it is like blood in the water, the sharks are coming.

The coaching stiuation will eventually work itself out. The girls need to work hard and play hard everytime they step on the floor. No matter who coaches this team it is a hrad task. Bonedoc you are correct in saying that when she took over the girls knew nothing, but coaches also have to learn and teach the things that there kids do not know. If they do not know how to teahc those skills it is the coaches responsibility to find that answer or get the help to teach those kids and not pass it of or push it to the side. Is coaching a hard profession, you bet, because you are never going to do everything right and at sometime in your career you are going to make a mistake or a call or a judgement that not everyone is going to agree with, but hey that is life and you must move on and correct those mistakes. When a coach does not correct mistakes is when there is a problem.

The million dollar repsonse from parents and other fans is if I was the coach I would have done this or that, but those people never want to step into the field becasue they could not handle the pressure, they just like to judge other people and talk about coaches in bad ways.

If Dekalb was winning any games right now I promise you there would be no talk of this at all. But thats how it goes you lose and it is like blood in the water, the sharks are coming.

Thanks basketballnut. What is the answer to turning around a program that has a 20+ year subpar history and 80+ game district lossing streak? I definitely don't see a quick fix either. I just continue to struggle with the fact that most of the trend is toward getting another coach and the school/community should be willing to give him/her 3-5 years to build a program and coach Tobitt is only early into her true first season with her own picked team (2005 was a Harrison picked team that he had taken to camps, etc.) if I'm not mistaking. I know it doesn't help the argument that her team is 0-8 or 9. I guess I wonder what can be done that is fair to all involved. If she (coach Tobitt) trains the players to within an inch of their lives, coaches hard on the sidelines but continues to lose will the comments become any less frequent? Time will tell.

I get every indication that BONEDOC has to be the husband of Coach Tobitt. How about it?

your right just like agee is more than mr.saint. be careful what you wish for it might just come true. speaks loudly of all involved in this program from coaches, players, and fans. everyone wanted foster out, now has came down to this coach then the next.

Edited by webeDC

do any ofyall know what yall are talkin about when yall are saying this stuff?? because half the stuff yall say isnt true and its dumb... sayin all this crap can really hurt people....put yourself in the teams shoes and see if you would like it i have sat here and thot about what all yall have and i know if i were them i wouldnt like it

do any ofyall know what yall are talkin about when yall are saying this stuff?? because half the stuff yall say isnt true and its dumb... sayin all this crap can really hurt people....put yourself in the teams shoes and see if you would like it i have sat here and thot about what all yall have and i know if i were them i wouldnt like it

well i think that the team has a hard enough time with every one putting them down , and also just bragging on some of the players and putting some of them down and just saying they stink i think it will turn around in the next 2 years cuz they have some outstanding freshman players who have played togather all their life and now how each other play togather ..and you shouldnt put the team down and criticize them unless you are in there shoes and no how it feels .and it doesnt help them any at all...so just wait it willl all come togather through the next 2 years is my opinion if they learn to work togather as a team and want to win as a team it will happen for them and i hope it does so all this nonsense will stop with the parents, and the coaches ,and the players

GOOD LUCK!

well i think that the team has a hard enough time with every one putting them down , and also just bragging on some of the players and putting some of them down and just saying they stink i think it will turn around in the next 2 years cuz they have some outstanding freshman players who have played togather all their life and now how each other play togather ..and you shouldnt put the team down and criticize them unless you are in there shoes and no how it feels .and it doesnt help them any at all...so just wait it willl all come togather through the next 2 years is my opinion if they learn to work togather as a team and want to win as a team it will happen for them and i hope it does so all this nonsense will stop with the parents, and the coaches ,and the players

GOOD LUCK!

I think you're (dead on) correct. B)