Dekalb

Just a BBall Fan

Is there talk of hiring someone after Christmas? That would be a huge mistake. To get a system in and be effective would be tough.

What was the talk of girls not liking Agee? I know you cannot please everyone but that is not good. If Agee gets teh job i hope that he relizes what is at stake. This is not something that will change overnight. He will have to change the girls mental state and there work effort and that will be the hardest thing. Agee will have to spend countless hours in the weightroom, gym, and learning the game from front to back. Is he willing to do that? It is easy in middle school, because your seasons are not as long and not as difficult and grueling. If he has a family he will have to put them aside and devote his time to the development of the team. Is he willing to do that? If so maybe he will work but something tells me that is not the best choice. They had a chcne to get a proven coach after Harrison resigned but did not pull the trigger and he went to another school.

Bond- ha ha ha ha no way. He is not the answer.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there talk of hiring someone after Christmas? That would be a huge mistake. To get a system in and be effective would be tough.

What was the talk of girls not liking Agee? I know you cannot please everyone but that is not good. If Agee gets teh job i hope that he relizes what is at stake. This is not something that will change overnight. He will have to change the girls mental state and there work effort and that will be the hardest thing. Agee will have to spend countless hours in the weightroom, gym, and learning the game from front to back. Is he willing to do that? It is easy in middle school, because your seasons are not as long and not as difficult and grueling. If he has a family he will have to put them aside and devote his time to the development of the team. Is he willing to do that? If so maybe he will work but something tells me that is not the best choice. They had a chcne to get a proven coach after Harrison resigned but did not pull the trigger and he went to another school.

Bond- ha ha ha ha no way. He is not the answer.

I have heard that the parents are trying to get a petition up to oust her before the season ends. I don't think it would be a mistake because the program will just sink further. If Agee were to take over he would at least would have coached 90% of the team previously. I think it could work. From what I gather the seniors on the team didn't want him because they "wanted to have fun" and he was too hard on them and yelled. There are a couple others that went against him a because their kid didn't play enough or didn't get enough props. I know both coach agee and his wife and she is very supportive of him. He understands that it will take ALOT of hard work and ALOT of time. He knows that it will not be easy but he is chomping at the bit for a chance to get in there and make things happen. He just needs a chance and the support of the parents that want to see the TEAM succeed. He is more than willing to do what it takes to get it done. If he were to take over the HS this year he would still finish out the DMS season but only coach HS next year. Who was the proven coach after Harrison resigned? As far as bond... that was off the cuff but he did well with the boys team.

There were two or three coaches with experience looking for jobs when Tolibitt was hired and I know of one who inquired about the job, he is a friend of mine and was told they were not doing anything until July, he took another job, but wanted to try to make the DCHS program work. Bond would not be a good fit for the girls program at Dekalb, he does not even want his softball girls playing basketball.

Is Agee a good coach only time will tell, at the ms level yes, but like I said before high school and middle school are two different monsters. Parents that have your back now and want you in now as the coach, will turn on you in a heartbeat if there wonderful college prospect in there eyes does not get that opportunity that they think she deserves.

A change in the middle of the season do not see it happening but maybe. Wonder if they would search to find someone. And that will be hard to do also. Well we can debate this all day, year whatever but the bottom line is will achange be made and how much does the adminstration want to win and work to get the right person in there and support that person threw everything? That question may never be answered.

Edited by basketballnut

Reguarding calling timeout during a 60+ point blowout.

What is there to call timeout about when you are down by 60? Is there some strategy to pull closer when you score 2 whole points in the second half? What else can you do but sit back and try and take it on the chin without wanting to burn the gym down or throw chairs. Is there a right answer? The timeouts just seem like they would prolong the inevitable. I would have wanted to get out of there as well.

Edited by bonedoc

The lady tiger program is in some serious trouble. If the adminstration does not step in and do something this program will never get back on track, it does not matter what kind of talent they have coming up. Young ladies will start transfering out to other schools and helping them win games. When you have a coach who sits and does nothing to adjust or coach her players at all that is not good for the team at all, especially when you have young girls with talent.

Now, in saying Upperman is a very good ball club with a lot of tlaent and potential. They should be in the BORO in March playing for a gold ball. But Dekalb could have given a better effort period, and the coach could have done her job and coached instead of sitting back and acting like she is on a Sunday afternoon retreat with family and friends.

The lady tigers score one basket (by mistake) in the second half of the Upperman game. I'm not sure that Bobby Knight screaming at you will help you win games when you only make one basket in two quarters. I know the coach is always the first and last to be blamed for any lose but the players have to become a positve part of this process as well. I have been a many games for the lady tigers and if the coach screams all night it doesn't change the fact that certain areas of the job are not being taken care of by the players. This too reflects on the coach, I know. But if I send you to basic training and you get shot on the first day of war, is that because you were not trained or just didn't dunk low enough?

I am glad that DeKalb did not have a 10 second call against Upperman, but anyone who saw the game knows that was mainly because DeKalb turned the ball over within seconds. As for the comment about the girls being prepared to break the press prior to the game, these girls were prepared...but it wasnt this year. They have known how to break a press since middle school.

Also, someone made a comment about the girls being in- or out-of-shape. Ask anyone of the girls, they showed up during pre-season conditioning not knowing whether they were going to run that day or not. It all depended on the mood of their coach, or so the girls say. Some days they would run 3 miles, yet other days they would not run at all. AND....some of the girls on the team would be in much better shape if they did not smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day.

The fact that the coach was laughing during her loss against Baxter shows that she was not prepared to coach in our district. I do not blame her for the situation she was put in....I blame the parents. It seems to me that some of the parents in DeKalb had rather their kids get to play in a game than actually win the game. Until this cycle stops, the program will not get any better.

I agree with that final statement. All I read on the message board is how Dekalb needs young blood at coach and we should give them 3-5 years to get things on track, but in the next breath lets take a coach with one year of coaching experience, who was thrown into 7AA and tell her to win when it hasn't been done in the county for years. I think a decade has almost past since they had a winning season and the coach inherited a 70+ district lossing streak. Talk about pressure and being in over your head. I would hope I would be doing as well, but I would have probably have quit to be a spectator by now.

I totally disagree with hiring Agee for coaching at the high school level. He helped Coach Holly and we all know how that turned out. Middle school and high school are two different levels. Why even compare the two stats with each other. Any one that knows Agee knows his lack of maturity and professionalism. I don't think that this is what these girls need at all. He is another home town boy! We have a home town girl now.

Sure a couple of "Agees Freshman"and "Parents" might like having him on the court instead of Tobitt . I think the parents shouldn't be so involved w/ the hiring of friends. Lets hope the school system selects a mature experienced high school level coach for this position.

I guess everyone has heard that Walls quit the team today. She refuses to play for Tobitt. Not that Tobitt let her play that much but if she had been "COACHED" any at all she could have been an asset to the team w/her 3 point shooting ability. I have heard that some parents think this might be the solution to the current problem. If all the girls walk off the team someone might stand up and take notice. Do you think?

3 point shooting ability? I looked back at her stats and she has 3 made in 2 years. Truly do you believe she is the answer to Dekalbs outside shooting woooos? the funny thing is that she missed practice the day before the game and then didn't get to play the night that she was taken off of the bench by her mother. That is what ended her career not refusing to play.

The high school lost five seniors off a team that was 3-26 come on give me a break. Whose fault is that!! If I am the coach and I was going to lose I think that I would lose with my younger kids, get them experience and get ready for the next couple of years. But from what I have been told that is and was not her coaching ways last year and that is her fault.

The subject matter here is that Dekalb basketball is in some serious trouble. If there is not somrhting done and done in a professional manner it will never recover I do not care how many wins the middle school team has.

The adminstration at DCHS needs to decide how commited they are to winning. There are plenty of young coaches out there looking for a fresh start and ready to bring excitment out there. My personal judgement is that it needs to be someone with no ties at all to Smithville or Dekalb County High School. The new coach needs to have no ties to anyone, not be related to anyone or have worked in the school system before. You want chage it has to start there.

If they know she is not coming back and I was principal, athletic director or boys basketball coach, I would be getting a list ready of possible canidates who could come in and make a positive change to this program.

Do you think asking coach Agee to be here assitant would help 2 fold. She would have a straight connection to the MS, he could provide experience and they could make sure that the fundamentals and strategies are the same throughout their BBall experience. I know as a head coach he may not be all that interested but this could be a combination that might help Dekalb get out of the hole. I think this is the mentality it may take to win. In Jackson Co., you can't even shoot a game of H-O-R-S-E without Jim Brown stopping to make sure you use appropriate technique. He has his fingers in every aspect of their womens BBall. Maybe they need that connection in Dekalb.

Sorry I have gotten a little long winded today, I just finally had time to catch up. Interesting side note for all those interested in the happenings of Dekalb Co. If you are ever in town you should check out the locker room. Coach Tobitt has gone as far as writing the girl's assignments, matchups and what the other players tendencies are on the board, because of continued missed assignments by players. I know it sounds like a preschool device but maybe this is how far she has had to go to cover her bases when it comes to teaching these girls about bball. As I have said before I think you can prepare till you are blue in the face but someone has to carry out the training. I think coach Tobitt would be the first to let you know she feels in over her head. The lesson would be for all of us not to judge till we step in those shoes and for anyone who has been in those shoes, if winning, happiness, trust and teamwork came easily then it wasn't a reflection of you but of those who laid the groundwork. Enough preaching. Good luck to the Lady Tigers tonight against Livingston and Coach Tobitt pray for understanding of your players, the community and those who tell you that you can't.

No risk, No reward.

PS:

God bless your daughter at home, who has to be without you while others condemn the work you do.

First of all I am Coach Agee. There are many things wrong with Girls basketball as a whole in Dekalb County. There isn't a "game plan" for the lack of a better word in the county, no one is on the same page. That includes Jr. Pro, West School, Middle School, and High School. That's the first thing that has to change. It has to be a building block system. We need to improve the fundamental developement at an earlier age. I have to spend alot of time on basic fundemetals of the game. (dribbling, passing and shooting correctly) Those things need to developed in 4th/5th grades. I don't expect them to be pistol pete but that would help. I could enhance those skills and work more on things like man to man defense, defending pick and rolls, learning how to read a screen, etc... getting them ready for the high school game. All I know is that I am trying to do the best that I can to improve girls basketball in Dekalb couty.

Let me clear other things up that have been written on this board. I was interested in the High School job when it became open. Yes, I would be interested in it if it came open again but thats not in my hands. I am very happy a Dekalb Middle. All I can do is do my best to improve the girls at the middle school and that is all that I can worry about. Every thing else will take care of itself. I am going to contiune to work hard, and work the girls that I have hard, and try to make them the best basketball players that I can.

This is to JUST A FAN 2000, I don't know what I did to you. I don't know if you are a former player or parent. But that is not the point. Don't get on here and question my character. If you have a problem, lets be adults about it and lets talk and resolve the differences that you have with me.

THANKS COACH AGEE