Proposed Sport Calandar 2007-08

cobracoach

I would like to pass this along to all high school coaches. This is the letter that I received from Bernard Childress.

"Please take a look at this Proposal Sport Calandar and pass it along to as many softball coaches as you can. There are changes the Legislative Council is looking at for the 2007-08. NOTHING has been voted on or passed! The Council wants to take a year to allow ALL schools to study it and give feedback. I just wanted our softball coaches to be aware of this and have an opportunity to provide feedback and ask questions."

I personally want to thank Bernard for letting us know about the possible changes. He has been a great supporter of the MTSCA from day one. As I understand all of the schools should have a copy of this in their school.

PROPOSED SPORTS CALENDAR CHANGES

In looking at a review of the Sports Calendar the following general changes have been made.

1. Elimination of “open facilities concept

2. An attempt to create an overall better balance for student/athletes and their families and coaches and their families.

3. To attempt to be more specific in what is permitted and not permitted throughout the state.

4. Preseason practice time for all sports has been changed from 3-4 weeks to 5-6 weeks. No preseason scrimmages are permitted in the first two weeks. This allows more practice time when it is the most meaningful and allows coaches to have greater flexibility in preseason planning.

5. A limit has been placed on the number of preseason scrimmages permitted along with a definition of “preseason scrimmages.”

6. Decrease in number of regular season contests for all sports except football which has only 10 games.

In looking at a review of the Sports Calendar the following specific changes to particular sport(s) has been made:

1. Spring sports (baseball, softball, track soccer)-Dead period in June and July has been removed and coaches may coach players on summer teams since baseball, softball and track are sports traditionally played in the summer. Soccer has been included for consistence since it is also a spring sport.

2. Ten days of off-season practice have been added for baseball, softball, girl’s soccer, boy’s soccer, and girl’s volleyball.

3. June and July (until July 15) practice has been removed for fall sports (football, girl’s soccer, girl’s volleyball, golf, cross country). This would eliminate camps in these sports in June/July but would permit them beginning July 15. It also eliminates 7 on 7 league or camps in football in June/July.

4. A defined period for baseball/softball in January for conditioning of arms has been set.

MAJOR DEFINITION CHANGES

Summer--Maximum of 15 days of practice permitted, 10 days of which may be competition against other teams.

June/July--Basketball/wresting only.

Baseball, Softball, Track & Field, Soccer--June/July athletes may be on summer teams/club with coaches coaching. Dead period does not apply.

Preseason Scrimmages--No admission charge; no team scores kept on scoreboards; no paid officials; no tournament format of any type.--Limit of four prior to first playing date of season.

Fifty Percent Rule--(Applies to football, girls’ volleyball, soccer, basketball, baseball, softball.)

Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team outside the school season by students that will play the following season on the same high school team is limited to 50 percent of the number of players required to play the game(i.e., three basketball, six soccer and football, five in baseball and softball, and three in volleyball).

Note: In each sport, only the specified number of student’s participation on a non-school year may be placed on the same high school team roster the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school roster.

This rule does not apply to seniors who have completed their high school eligibility in that sport.

(Example No. 1)--If four students play on the same non-school basketball team outside the season, only three of them would be eligible for the same high school basketball team the following basketball season.)

(Example No. 2)--If seven students play on the same non-school soccer team outside the season, only six of them would be eligible for the same high school soccer team the following soccer season.

SPORTS CALENDAR

Fall Sports: Football, Girls Soccer, Girls Volleyball, Golf, Cross Country

End of school until July 15--No practice; no open facilities:

voluntary weight training and condition period as long as open

to all students and not sport specific.

Dead Period--The week preceding the Fourth of July week of the

Fourth of July. There can be no coaching, contact with, or

observation by coaches with any players. All school’s indoor

facilities must be closed unless approved in writing from TSSAA.

No change. Practice begins July 15

• 1st week (football) no pads

• No scrimmages or work with another school until Aug. 1

End of season until close of school--No practice, no open facilities; voluntary weight training and conditioning permitted as long as open to all students and not sport specific.

January 1st until the end of school--10 days of practice within 15 school days; no scrimmages.

Changes in number of contests allowed as follows:

• Girls soccer--15 to 14

• Girls volleyball--45 to 35

• Golf--15 to 14

• Cross Country--12 to 11

Winter Sports: Basketball, Wrestling

End of school until July 15--15 days of practice, 10 of which may

be school vs. school competition. Dead Period--The week preceding the Fourth of July week and the week of the Fourth of July. There can be no coaching, contact

with any players. All school’s indoor facilities must be closed unless approval in writing by the TSSAA. No change. July15-October 15- No practice, no open facilities; voluntary weight training and conditioning permitted as long as open to all students and not sport specific.

October 15-Practice begins; no scrimmages or work with another school until November 1. March 15 until end of school-10 days of practice within 15 schools

days; no scrimmages.

Changes in number of contests allowed as follows;

Basketball-26 to 24

Wresting-20 to 18, maximum of 4 tournaments

Spring Sports: Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Track and Field, Tennis

End of school until beginning of next school year--Athletes may be on summer team/clubs with coaches coaching. In track and field, baseball, softball, and tennis, dead period does not apply. Beginning of school until February 1: No practice; no open facilities; voluntary weigh training and conditioning permitted as long as open to all students and not sport specific.

• October 1- October 31; 10 days of practice within 15

school days; no scrimmages

• January- Throwing only (conditioning purposes) for

baseball and softball.

Changes in number of contests allowed as follows:

Track-12 to 11

Soccer- 15 to 14

Baseball- 32-30

Softball- 36-34

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just can't go out and play a game of softball like in the good old days.

More and more kids are enjoying the game of softball....Leave it up to TSSAA and they will find a way to mess things up...

When my kids get old enough to play, the sport will be so screwed up that they will not want to play...

Please tell me this is a joke....

I think it is time for a new athletic association....

Am I way out of line here??

Plus with what has been siad with the 50/50 rule you are also losing fall ball leagues with high school teams on them. You can only have 5 players on your high school team on a fall league team.

If you're in a county with one school, you would either have to join up with players from other counties, or some could not play. Not very smart especially when most of those type schools compete against each in the school season.

Just can't go out and play a game of softball like in the good old days.

More and more kids are enjoying the game of softball....Leave it up to TSSAA and they will find a way to mess things up...

When my kids get old enough to play, the sport will be so screwed up that they will not want to play...

Please tell me this is a joke....

I think it is time for a new athletic association....

Am I way out of line here??

Remember: "There are changes the Legislative Council is looking at for the 2007-08. NOTHING has been voted on or passed! The Council wants to take a year to allow ALL schools to study it and give feedback."