Proposed Sport Calandar 2007-08

cobracoach

Speaking as a parent, I think these changes are long over due. It's time to stop the ever creeping intrusion into the home life of these kids. Playing high school ball is as much a learning experience as the classroom and should be valued as such. However, they should not be limited to one sport by some coach who thinks his or her sport is the only one that matters. For example, these baseball coaches that require a player to play on their summer team in order to make the high school team will be out of luck. Basketball coaches and players will have more summer to spend with their families. The list goes on.

Edited by MIDTN

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking as a parent, I think these changes are long over due. It's time to stop the ever creeping intrusion into the home life of these kids. Playing high school ball is as much a learning experience as the classroom and should be valued as such. However, they should not be limited to one sport by some coach who thinks his or her sport is the only one that matters. For example, these baseball coaches that require a player to play on their summer team in order to make the high school team will be out of luck. Basketball coaches and players will have more summer to spend with their families. The list goes on.

I think you have misread the proposal. In the summer there is no limit on who plays with who, just during the school year. This is not a big issue as most top level travel teams are not that dominated by one school on a team. It does however effect the fall programs that allow high school teams the opportunity of playing together as a unit. I guess they figure the 10 days in October replace the fall schedule. As far as "one sport coach" the very serious athletes realize the need to limit the number of sports they participate in esp if they want to get to the next level. I don't see as many kids burned on a focus of one sport but rather the completely burned out athlete coming out of a fall and a winter sport attempting to play a spring sport. By then they are done!

I think you have misread the proposal. In the summer there is no limit on who plays with who, just during the school year. This is not a big issue as most top level travel teams are not that dominated by one school on a team. It does however effect the fall programs that allow high school teams the opportunity of playing together as a unit. I guess they figure the 10 days in October replace the fall schedule. As far as "one sport coach" the very serious athletes realize the need to limit the number of sports they participate in esp if they want to get to the next level. I don't see as many kids burned on a focus of one sport but rather the completely burned out athlete coming out of a fall and a winter sport attempting to play a spring sport. By then they are done!

I think its a pretty good proposal. A high school sport should not have to be a year round ordeal like some coaches make it out to be. However, one rule that isnt being proposed that would be better for softball would be to play it in the fall. That way, the travel girls could just take up where they left off from the summer, and it wouldnt take as long to get prepared for the season, and most of all, you might avoid the tornados that come along in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

High school coaches need to check out the Nashville Tennessean sports page ( April 10) concerning this proposal. The TSSAA is trying to make a major changes in all sports but basketball isnt having to take as big as hit as the other sports. What are your thoughts about this proposal?

High School basketball is taking a hit, too......it will stop the "AAU" teams from getting players all over the state and then they end up "transferring" to that particular school.. I think the basketball changes are REAL good.

I like the 15 days to practice 10 in the fall, but, teams should be allowed a certain number of scrimmages (maybe 4 or 5). Spring football allows scrimmages so I think it would be only fair to allow softball and baseball.

Preseason Scrimmages--No admission charge; no team scores kept on scoreboards; no paid officials; no tournament format of any type.--Limit of four prior to first playing date of season.

This part would stop preseason tournaments such as Beech, and Mt. Juliet in the Middle Tn. area. These are money makers for the schools softball budget. But it will also hurt the new umpires working contest before the season.......this way they will learn on the job instead of having preseason games to work with older umpires to get the feel of the game. Not counting the money that the umpires will lose from the preseason games.

My experience is with High School Softball. Looking over the changes proposed for that sport, I think there are some real pluses.

First, lets remember why we (parents) send our kids to school....to get an ACADEMIC education. Parents, AND MOST coaches would agree that H.S. sports participation is NOT going to be a big factor in a players future success...be it in athletics or academics. Those kids that go to the next level in their sport almost exclusively participate in travel/developmental leagues where they hone their skills. Ask any college recruiter. They want to know how you did against the hand picked tourney teams.

Second, having frozen thru several "pre-season" tournaments. I'm all for playing more in the warmer months. School is out and kids can play every day, dawn to dusk if they want....and many do. Bottom line is that it doesn't impact academics like fall ball does.

Third, as far as I'm concerned burn out is burn out regardless of how one gets there. This is the point where the parents/coaches are supposed to step in and, for the good of the kid, say enough is enough. Doing something different with a different bunch of people is more of a plus than a minus. With the exception of football, most injuries are caused by repetitive stress. Remember cross training???

Fourth, the 50% rule probably does negatively impact Fall Ball. If kids have played together from early March until mid-August, they probably NEED to do something different and see somebody new :blink:. Seriously, based on the fall ball I was involved in, 10 intensive days of practice in October has got to be more beneficial. We usually played a total of 4-5 days (on the weekends) and practiced maybe 10 afternoons.....and I was involved with a quite intense program.

Cobracoach has a good point though. Umpires are bad enough as it is without starting the season cold-turkey!!

CoachB22

Preseason Scrimmages--No admission charge; no team scores kept on scoreboards; no paid officials; no tournament format of any type.--Limit of four prior to first playing date of season.

Will the basketball and football team be allowed to use officials during their preseason? What state besides Tennessee doesn’t have officials calling preseason games? Why such major changes all at once??? If we have had so many problems with the way we have been operating why haven’t these changes taken place earlier?

I really don't know how many of the new calendar rules will be adopted by the TSSAA, but if TSSAA is an organization that is supposed to work for the betterment of schools coaches and administrators, they will leave most things with spring sports alone. This is a middle Tennessee perspective from me. Over the last 10 years the level of softball in Tennessee has skyrocketed. Not only is good softball played in Chattanooga and the Brentwood area, but it is played at a high level in the rural areas as well. The big thing that TSSAA thinks is going on is abuse of open facilities. The answer to that is to punish those schools in which the abuse occurs. Those schools and teams that are building indoor facilities should be able to put those to use. It is also unbelievable that a governing body would want to play preseason games without umpires. This is a liability issue. You are asking for trouble if no umpires are present. Number of games change. It was only a few years ago that the number of games were chaged to our current format. What is wrong with it now? If we have to give up something, let it be fall ball. Have your 10 days in the fall, pick your team, but do not play any games. NCAA is getting ready to ax fall ball also. My point in all of this is: leave spring sports alone and let them continue to get better. Our kids are already at a disadvantage to those from warm weather states that get to play year around.

Coaches, Administrators, and the Coaches Association must be ready to take a stand in the fall when the regional meetings take place. You must let TSSAA know your feelings and voice your opinions.

Edited by RaiderOne