BIG Changes proposed by T$$AA

marcvols

Why all the hate for football??

Baseball takes up much more time

It starts in late january early feb hitting in the barn and then you have the season in the spring where you play every weekend and twice during the week and on the nights you don't play you practice. After the hs season is over you are expected to play on one or more of the travel teams through out the summer all the way up until July once again playing every weekend and a couple times during the week.

I have had 4 sons play sports including football and baseball and the time requirement for baseball vs football is not even close.

I don't think much has changed over the years anybody that truly wants to play all sport can do it but it takes dedication and desire to do several hs sports and it always has nothing new here. No way it can be legislated to make it easier on everybody.

As for making football shorter and easier so more kids will come out? That is whats wrong with our society today nobody wants to compete to get better so lets see if we can make it better by making it easier by legislating.

Its really pretty simple hs sports are a privilege and it requires committment and dedication and an input of not only effort but time also. If you are not willing to make that committment then don't play but don't try to legislate everything.

Also as far as kids taking summer vacations we take vacations every spring,fall and one sometimes 2 in the summer and have never had a problem making all the summer football workouts expected. So I can tell you from experience if you want to you can still have vacation time and do whats required.

Maybe they should just legislate not keeping score during the games and give everybody a participation medal at the end of the season : )

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It starts in late january early feb hitting in the barn and then you have the season in the spring where you play every weekend and twice during the week and on the nights you don't play you practice. After the hs season is over you are expected to play on one or more of the travel teams through out the summer all the way up until July once again playing every weekend and a couple times during the week.

I have had 4 sons play sports including football and baseball and the time requirement for baseball vs football is not even close.

I don't think much has changed over the years anybody that truly wants to play all sport can do it but it takes dedication and desire to do several hs sports and it always has nothing new here. No way it can be legislated to make it easier on everybody.

for making football shorter and easier so more kids will come out? That is whats wrong with our society today nobody wants to compete to get better so lets see if we can make it better by making it easier by legislating.

Its really pretty simple hs sports are a privilege and it requires committment and dedication and an input of not only effort but time also. If you are not willing to make that committment then don't play but don't try to legislate everything.

Also as far as kids taking summer vacations we take vacations every spring,fall and one sometimes 2 in the summer and have never had a problem making all the summer football workouts expected. So I can tell you from experience if you want to you can still have vacation time and do whats required.

Maybe they should just legislate not keeping score during the games and give everybody a participation medal at the end of the season : )

I agree about baseball. It takes more time than any other sport. 5-6 games a week. Most nights not getting home till late. Not many yrs ago, teams played 24-28 games, now it is 65 or so.

The biggest problem with taking 6 weeks "off" is that football, more than any other sport, is dependent on a structured strength and conditioning program. As we all know, football is a "collision" sport and not a contact sport. Taking 6 weeks off can almost totally neutralize the other 10 1/2 months S&C work with some athletes and lead to potential injuries. A lot of kids just don't know how to work out on their own. They need that structure offered by the football coaches who know the S&C programs well.

I'm on the fence on this one. My son quit baseball after his sophomore year because the baseball coach who was at Powell at the time discouraged the heavy strength and conditioning program that the football team was doing during baseball season. My son wasn't one who could afford to slow his S&C program down. He didn't have as much God given ablilty as some, and the only way he could keep his "edge" was to keep his strength, agility, and mental edge. He couldn't do that with a slow down in the S&C program.

As it turned out, it was the correct decision for him, but it may not be for everybody.

My point is that taking 6 weeks off can hurt an athlete in the long run much more than it can help him.

If they do this with football then they need to do it with all sports.

How many basketball coaches expect their players in the gym during the summer? How many kids also play AAU?

You also have high school baseball teams that play together during the summer and some even have fall ball leagues.

Football is not the only sport where coaches expect the players to train year round. The days of the three sport athelete is almost extinct. Kids today have to make choices and that is sad. I put alot of the blame on the parents. They are so afraid that someone will have a leg up on their child that they demand year round programs.

Think about the kids that start playing travel baseball at such a young age. They are burned out by the time they even reach high school.

How many basketball coaches expect their players in the gym during the summer? How many kids also play AAU?

You also have high school baseball teams that play together during the summer and some even have fall ball leagues.

Football is not the only sport where coaches expect the players to train year round. The days of the three sport athelete is almost extinct. Kids today have to make choices and that is sad. I put alot of the blame on the parents. They are so afraid that someone will have a leg up on their child that they demand year round programs.

Think about the kids that start playing travel baseball at such a young age. They are burned out by the time they even reach high school.

I haven't seen the entire proposal but it is posted on the softball board. The proposal involves all sports to some extent. On this board it is just being dealt with as far as football is concerned, for the most part.

There is a huge difference in football and the other sports you mentioned. There is no AAU basketball or summer baseball equivalent for football. AAU basketball and summer baseball are coached and administrated by people other than the high school coaches, and at the higher level, coaches who know what they are doing and how to handle arms, physical conditioining, and instruction.

There is no such summer league structure for football. While some athletes can financially handle personal trainers, not everybody can. Football athletes are dependent on their coaches to help them with their year round training and instruction, while the other major sports are not.

HTV, exactly! Let them try and outlaw summer AAU in other sports and see the outcry.......The mommys and daddys of the basketball, baseball, softball and soccer kids won't ever stand for that....... I don't disagree that some kids would like to play multiple sports and the days of 4 sport letterman are gone forever, but kids have to make choices just like adults. There are much worse things for our young adults than being in supervised activities in the summer.

Ole Dad

There is a huge difference in football and the other sports you mentioned. There is no AAU basketball or summer baseball equivalent for football. AAU basketball and summer baseball are coached and administrated by people other than the high school coaches, and at the higher level, coaches who know what they are doing and how to handle arms, physical conditioining, and instruction.

There is no such summer league structure for football. While some athletes can financially handle personal trainers, not everybody can. Football athletes are dependent on their coaches to help them with their year round training and instruction, while the other major sports are not.

Edited by Ole Dad

Great Post!

Ole Dad

quote name='82cat' date='Apr 1 2006 - 08:18 AM' post='826007133']

As for making football shorter and easier so more kids will come out? That is whats wrong with our society today nobody wants to compete to get better so lets see if we can make it better by making it easier by legislating.

Seems to me that this would allow more kids to play multiple sports and reduce the single sport specialization. I'm for it if it's enforced and adhered to by all schools. Let the boys change with the seasons!

Now we need a way to control AAU basketball. AAU has destroyed spring sports due to conflicts in April and May and has crippled football due to conflicts in July and early August.

Seems to me that this would allow more kids to play multiple sports and reduce the single sport specialization. I'm for it if it's enforced and adhered to by all schools. Let the boys change with the seasons!

Now we need a way to control AAU basketball. AAU has destroyed spring sports due to conflicts in April and May and has crippled football due to conflicts in July and early August.

The only way to "contol" AAU, sumer baseball, etc. is to rule anybody who participates on those ineligible to play at a TSSAA member school, but that's not going to happen, and it shouldn't. Not everybody would choose high school competition over those summer based programs. Just as many, and in the case of basketball and baseball, more college coaches see the players in the summer as they do during high school competition because their teams are out of season. Not only do they see them but at the highest levels of summer athletics it is against better competiton than they see them against in high school. It would hurt the student/athletes to limit their summer possiblities.