50% rule

play4keeps

You state that the TSSAA is too involved! This rule like others is only as good as those who follow its intentions. Your HS coaching staff is not suppose to coach those AAU players that they would also coach in school the next year. Is your assistant violating this rule and if so why should any other rule, that will not be followed matter? I believe you may understand what I'm asking!

This is probably an example of where coaches and schools may be to involved with what their school team members are doing in the off season, so maybe if the rules in place were followed and not violated maybe other rules would not have to be added to keep some programs under control. I guess you would have to look at your situation and ask are we following the rules NOW?

I LOVE IT! The "assistant" that you allude to, "I believe you may understand what I'm asking!" is coaching girls that are NOT part of his HS team. They are 8th graders, and from serveral different counties. He has coached girls from at least 5 counties with only ONE school complaining about his involvement. You seem to misunderstand the problem. It's not players being recruited to one school, but players not wanting to attend the other. Not till the other coach stops attacking a successful program will he begin to gain respect. And not till parents feel comfortable with their kids being around the staff (read questionable orientation) will the program begin seeing players coming there. But let me say, I hope that you don't stop. It's a great compliment to see a AAA coach feel so threatened by a AA program, not to mention all the humor that we get from watching that GROWN man act like a little child. The only negative is that the girls that are there now deserve to have a coach invest his time in building that team, not attacking another. But, if their parents accept that behavior I guess it's ok with me. He's not hurting us. We have the best team that money can buy. :o

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems to me you might either be a coach that has a broken program or a parent that can't find a team for your daughter to play on. I do not disapprove of an assistant coach coaching AAU ball. AAU ball is not part of and it will never be a part of TSSAA. My child has been playing AAU ball for a long time and yes, with the same group of kids. most go to the same school and I do not see anything wrong with that. The coach volunteers his/her's time and doesn't get paid for it. There is no rule that states an assistant coach can't coach AAU ball. What it does say is that they can't coach girls that go to his or her High School that they coach at! I see assistant coaches all the time coaching children under the High School age and do not see anything wrong with it. besides, this is my time with my daughter and who is going to tell me that I can't have her play on the same team as her friends? NO ONE!!!

Case in point, if there is a coach, or part time coach, who is coaching two age groups, one pre high school and one high school who is influencing the younger age group to go to his preferred high school and winds up selecting the best players to go there, what rules are there to prohibit that? Or do there need to be rules?

OK, OK, OK. True story but a little off topic, but relating to the subject at hand. There is a coach, we'll call Coach Z. He is always accusing another coach, we'll call Coach A, of recruiting the best players in the area to attend his HS by influencing them during summer ball. Coach Z assumes, ALWAYS, that the ONLY reason that players go to the other school must be recruiting. Couldn't be HIS fault. So, Coach Z goes to one of his feeder schools to give a pep talk to all the incoming freshmen for the next year. He has a chance to tell of the successes of his HS, his players, and his plans for this particular group, but does he do that??? NO!!! He tells them that if they want to play they will HAVE to come to his HS because they aren't good enough to make it at the other schools around. He then gives an example of three players that crossed the creek to play at the school of Coach A and said that they were bench warmers when they would have been players at Coach Z's HS. I LOVE IT!!!! He thinks that the best way to get players to want to come and play for him is to tell them that they are no good. What an approach!!! Further, he fails to mention that the three players mentioned spent alot of time on the bench of a team that went to state, but he didn't have to mention that. The players knew it. He also forgot that one of the players that he mentioned STARTED!!!! Another player scored almost 100 pts. And all three got lots of playing time compared to the Coach Z's bench because Coach A's team was winning games by enough points at the end to be able to put the bench in. I now know why Coach Z thinks that Coach A recruits. It's because Coach A NEVER tells a girl that she isn't good enough. NEVER lies to girls about where they will be if they don't come to HIS HS. It's just not fair for Coach A to be so supportive and nice to young players when Coach Z is not capable of it. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! :D

Case in point, if there is a coach, or part time coach, who is coaching two age groups, one pre high school and one high school who is influencing the younger age group to go to his preferred high school and winds up selecting the best players to go there, what rules are there to prohibit that? Or do there need to be rules?

:thumb: you are to funny... I think that you influence young children when you just spend a little time with them. If all you can do is point fingers then your program will fell. Nothing wrong with a good coach teaching children fundamentals of the game of basketball. If you think this is influence then I guess you might be right. Why dont you start or your coach start to help teach children the right fundamentals and maybe they might like you too.

it seems to me you might either be a coach that has a broken program or a parent that can't find a team for your daughter to play on. I do not disapprove of an assistant coach coaching AAU ball. AAU ball is not part of and it will never be a part of TSSAA. My child has been playing AAU ball for a long time and yes, with the same group of kids. most go to the same school and I do not see anything wrong with that. The coach volunteers his/her's time and doesn't get paid for it. There is no rule that states an assistant coach can't coach AAU ball. What it does say is that they can't coach girls that go to his or her High School that they coach at! I see assistant coaches all the time coaching children under the High School age and do not see anything wrong with it. besides, this is my time with my daughter and who is going to tell me that I can't have her play on the same team as her friends? NO ONE!!!

Sorry not a HS coach who has broken rules, not even a HS coach. Sorry my daughter plays and starts on an excellent AAU team that has not broken any rules.

However do know of some local HS coaches that are coaching AAU teams that are made up of their own HS players and incoming 8th graders. Both are not following the rules and if the 50% rule is past they won't let that stop them either.

But you know it is a rule and they have to lie to bypass it and they have to get the kids to lie also, somehow that just does not seem to be the message to send kids.

By the way if your HS coach tells you that your daughter will do something within reason that you don't like I bet you will allow it to happen or your daughter won't be playing, and don't kid yourself he will tell you how it is. You just seem to have a large issue with the TSSAA but they do provide some infrastructure that must be in place or HS sports would be totally out of control. And no I don't agree with all but I don't just break rules or disregard them it they don't suit me.

...this is my time with my daughter and who is going to tell me that I can't have her play on the same team as her friends? NO ONE!!!

TSSAA is not trying to tell you who she can play with in the summers. She can play with anyone she wants.

You obviously enjoy spending time with your daughter. (The "I can't have her play.." part is a little scary. Hope she wants that, too.) I am a single parent and my daughter is a great player. This summer she and I are going camping/fishing for a week in Colorado, then traveling to Canada for 10 days later in the summer, and the rest of the time she is working to help fund her college so she can play sports in college if she chooses or just concentrate on getting into med school. Now, which of those activities would you want us to bypass for a coach who insists she play AAU?

I LOVE IT! The "assistant" that you allude to, "I believe you may understand what I'm asking!" is coaching girls that are NOT part of his HS team. They are 8th graders, and from serveral different counties. He has coached girls from at least 5 counties with only ONE school complaining about his involvement. You seem to misunderstand the problem. It's not players being recruited to one school, but players not wanting to attend the other. Not till the other coach stops attacking a successful program will he begin to gain respect. And not till parents feel comfortable with their kids being around the staff (read questionable orientation) will the program begin seeing players coming there. But let me say, I hope that you don't stop. It's a great compliment to see a AAA coach feel so threatened by a AA program, not to mention all the humor that we get from watching that GROWN man act like a little child. The only negative is that the girls that are there now deserve to have a coach invest his time in building that team, not attacking another. But, if their parents accept that behavior I guess it's ok with me. He's not hurting us. We have the best team that money can buy. :thumb:

Thanks for the additional insight into your counties problem, however I could careless about who goes to which school in your county. You made my point however and that is because your coach is violating rules (read them and you will see) with the AAU program it seems to be causing conflict within the county and players that you are talking about. I do know that your AAU team has disregarded rules and when others follow the rules and compete against you that will always cause hard feelings. Hope whatever is going on their between your schools calms down, following the rules would be a good start and if you are then who cares what the AAA coach thinks.

TSSAA is not trying to tell you who she can play with in the summers. She can play with anyone she wants.

You obviously enjoy spending time with your daughter. (The "I can't have her play.." part is a little scary. Hope she wants that, too.) I am a single parent and my daughter is a great player. This summer she and I are going camping/fishing for a week in Colorado, then traveling to Canada for 10 days later in the summer, and the rest of the time she is working to help fund her college so she can play sports in college if she chooses or just concentrate on getting into med school. Now, which of those activities would you want us to bypass for a coach who insists she play AAU?

Listen, my daughter loves basketball. She has played on the same team for years and yes most will be going to the same High School. In my area I would have to take her 30 to 50 miles to another AAU team if the 50% rule takes affect. I asure you that when summer gets here we fish, hike, play outside, and do things that are fun for all of us. I disagree with the 50% rule because since my daughter loves the game of basketball she would or some of her close friends would have to travel great distrance to play. If this is forced on the parents and children then I think that the TSSAA should be held responsible for anything tha happens to these childs that will be force to travel because of this rule. Listen, they can make rules and someone will break them. There are some coaches that will tell people when to play and where to play but as for my daughter and her team, they have a ball and the do take the summer off if they want without any problems from the coach.

...they have a ball and the do take the summer off if they want without any problems from the coach.

How do you know that if they are not in high school yet? But, supposing you are right, that is one coach down and only a few hundred to go.

The effect this would have on AAU is the development of premier teams (Like we don't have that already) :rolleyes: The best players will look regionally to play for the best teams. My daugther played with teammates in 14U, they are not great, they won't even place in the top five in the state. However, our coach is from a neighboring county. We play together to get better. There are 13 players on our team. That means we'd have to find at least 5 different AAU teams to play for. This would force many players/parents to stop summer play because they wouldn't have the ability to travel due to expense/time/transportation issues in an effort to even FIND a team. If a High School coach/administration is unhappy wtih the result of their program perhaps they should review their program practices. Its always the same these days. It's NOT MY fault it's theirs! Just MHO.

;)

The effect this would have on AAU is the development of premier teams (Like we don't have that already) :thumb: The best players will look regionally to play for the best teams. My daugther played with teammates in 14U, they are not great, they won't even place in the top five in the state. However, our coach is from a neighboring county. We play together to get better. There are 13 players on our team. That means we'd have to find at least 5 different AAU teams to play for. This would force many players/parents to stop summer play because they wouldn't have the ability to travel due to expense/time/transportation issues in an effort to even FIND a team. If a High School coach/administration is unhappy wtih the result of their program perhaps they should review their program practices. Its always the same these days. It's NOT MY fault it's theirs! Just MHO.

:)

I'm not sure if that was the actual purpose of AAU when it began but that is the way it was meaning it was for elite teams. There was only one team in Tennessee in each age group and they played for the national championship each year. Then players who weren't invited to join the team formed a second team, and then a third team, and the race was on. Recently the NIKE teams were formed in order to get back to that elite purpose.

The effect this would have on AAU is the development of premier teams (Like we don't have that already) :thumb: The best players will look regionally to play for the best teams. My daugther played with teammates in 14U, they are not great, they won't even place in the top five in the state. However, our coach is from a neighboring county. We play together to get better. There are 13 players on our team. That means we'd have to find at least 5 different AAU teams to play for. This would force many players/parents to stop summer play because they wouldn't have the ability to travel due to expense/time/transportation issues in an effort to even FIND a team. If a High School coach/administration is unhappy wtih the result of their program perhaps they should review their program practices. Its always the same these days. It's NOT MY fault it's theirs! Just MHO.

:blink:

I agree totally. with your statement!!!