Chattanooga Christian Adds Football

mtnman

Are you saying Boyd in Division II since so many want privates out completly or are they planning to make that move on there own?

It will be interesting to see how CCS does. I would not want to start out playing against Tyner, Boyd, and MC. They should have started sooner so they could have competed against David Brainerd, Grace, Temple and Silverdale.

There would be no benefit for Boyd to move to DII, so I would say that it will not happen unless the TSSAA forces a total public/private split. Boyd has just put in an 1100 seat visitors side, and you don't do that unless you're expecting to have big crowds...you wouldn't have those from the DII-A or DII-AA opponents. Travel would be a major issue, and frankly, Boyd should be competing in the late rounds of the playoffs in 2A for years to come...we don't have to play down to win. This isn't the first time Indian has mentioned a Boyd move to DII, but there's no basis for it.

The funny thing about this topic is that no one claimed that CCS works harder because they are a private school, nor was any statement about privates being "better" made at all. It's just that Chester read that into a comment, but it was never really said.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be a ton of 2A and 3A teams in the next few years, a couple less if Boyd-Buchanan and Chattanooga Christian end up in Division II. Not sure where Signal Mt, East Brainerd and the new school in Cumberland County will be in football. Sequatchie may end up in 3A before too long, was told the entering ninth grade class has 212 and other classes below that are similar. It will be interesting to see how they're all classified and placed in regions, I'd guess Polk, Meigs and Tellico would move back down to 2A if Boyd is in Division II.

Wishful thinking Indian. You can run but you can't hide. Anyway even if Boyd did move you still would have to deal with Tyner

Wishful thinking Indian. You can run but you can't hide. Anyway even if Boyd did move you still would have to deal with Tyner

Not hiding. The vote was decided by one last time and you still see the same results. ND comes back to Division I and they're a top 5 3A team instantly. I wouldn't mind keeping Boyd-Buchanan in non-region football games, as Seq has played against most every private school in Chattanooga in one sport or another in the last several years, including McCallie and Baylor. Last year's game could have gone either way so why would there be a reason to hide? My post was about the number of teams that will be in 2A and 3A, there's a forum for detailed talk on private-public.

Edited by Indian

Sometimes you just have to face the facts that Privates get better athletes because their parents feel that they would be better off in a Private school. I agree that they don't work harder and I also agree that they don't necessarily have better coaches. The Privates in Chattanooga do have some really good coaches, but I wouldn't say that they were that much above the public coaches. There's a perception that because you have to pay to go to a private school that EVERYTHING is better. Not the case at all.

Anyways... good luck to Christian. They are coming in to a very tough Region 3AA that has more quality teams that just Tyner and Boyd..... It will be a tough row to hoe for them for a few years once they start playing varsity.

...Good comment and I agree with you...The smaller "privates" (athletically) are not as good as some County schools...this has been proven in recent years...the larger schools (McCallie & Baylor) seem to have an edge but that's expected because of the $$$$ and sheer numbers...

...Best Wishes to CCS...they may surprise some folks but it might be a while before you see the return on CCS's investment!!!

I suggest that CCS hire a coach that has experience in building a program, and not just a name. Example, Tom Weathers at Dade County, He has had success at larger programs, but at a smaller school he was out of his ellement. CCS is going to need someone that knows how to build a program with kids that have little or know football experience. I suggest they go after someone that has taken a program out of the ashes and built a successful program. Examples, Wes Green, Dickee Brown, Bill price, and David Barger just to name a few. I think those coaches would have the team ready for varsity play in two years.

One thing that you can count on is the fact that High School football is cyclical. From the early 80's to the mid 90's Marion County was the dominant team in the Region and there was nothing that anyone could do about it, including Boyd or Tyner. Since the mid 90's it's been pretty much Tyner's show but sooner or later they too will drop off and someone else will take the reins. As I see it now, Sequatchie County is poised and ready to take the leading role. They have everything in place and if their new coach can get it all to gel....lookout! Don't think just because Boyd and Tyner finished 1st/2nd this year that it's an indicator of how things will be from now on....... There are other, very proud teams that will have something to say about it....... And... before you guys from Chattanooga get on here and bash my brains in.... I'm not saying that Boyd and Tyner don't have very good football programs. I'm just saying that due to the nature of the beast, no one stays on top forever.

...I've got to differ with you on this one...contrary to what some Jasper fans may say, the reason the Warriors programs went down was a combination of reasons (one of which was Colquette leaving)...after this "major" event the coaching situation was like "musical chairs" and also the Middle School program went down...As long as your coaching staff is consistent, I truly believe that your program will remain dominant(i.e. Coach Turner, Crews, Stewart, Parker, Maples at Tyner)...I'm not saying that the "RAMS" will win the Region every year but I am saying that they will have a "say-so" in who does win it!!!

...In my humble opinion, Sequatchie will need to keep a Coach longer than two or three years...no mattter how talented, 15, 16, and 17 year-olds are, all kids need a stable coaching staff in order to take a program to the next level!!!

Not hiding. The vote was decided by one last time and you still see the same results. ND comes back to Division I and they're a top 5 3A team instantly. I wouldn't mind keeping Boyd-Buchanan in non-region football games, as Seq has played against most every private school in Chattanooga in one sport or another in the last several years, including McCallie and Baylor. Last year's game could have gone either way so why would there be a reason to hide? My post was about the number of teams that will be in 2A and 3A, there's a forum for detailed talk on private-public.

The results are not the same. The goal was to get the private schools out of the 1A championship game, and it worked. I doubt there will be big push for a total split, and I expect that CCS & Boyd will be in 2A for a long time. Neither will outgrow it, and they sure won't move back down.

I think that the Signal Mtn. & E. Brainerd Schools will likely be playing in 3A. I believe that the projected enrollment for the Signal Mtn. school is about 750, and the projection for the E. Brainerd High School is about 900.

The results are not the same. The goal was to get the private schools out of the 1A championship game, and it worked. I doubt there will be big push for a total split, and I expect that CCS & Boyd will be in 2A for a long time. Neither will outgrow it, and they sure won't move back down.

I think that the Signal Mtn. & E. Brainerd Schools will likely be playing in 3A. I believe that the projected enrollment for the Signal Mtn. school is about 750, and the projection for the E. Brainerd High School is about 900.

This will also affect Ooltewah, E.Brainerd is where most of the kids come from. They will be changing also.

Bnl I don't think the split would have mattered this year,

Trousdale beat the 3a state champs in regular season, I think there is a strong possibility that Friendship will be there this year. They were good this year only loosing to Trousdale by a touch, and the had several transfers riding the bench that will be eligable this year. They will be hard to beat this year.

Bnl I don't think the split would have mattered this year,

Trousdale beat the 3a state champs in regular season, I think there is a strong possibility that Friendship will be there this year. They were good this year only loosing to Trousdale by a touch, and the had several transfers riding the bench that will be eligable this year. They will be hard to beat this year.

I agree, it may have been no different in the title match-up. And, I think that there will be a mix of private and public schools in the hunt for the 1A title for years to come. That's why a lot of the 1A schools pushed for a split. But, now since the dominant teams like CPA, DCA, Boyd, & Ezell are in 2A, I don't expect there to be as strong of a push for the TSSAA to further separate the public and private schools. That's why I expect Boyd & CCS to be in Region 3-2A for a lot of years.

This will also affect Ooltewah, E.Brainerd is where most of the kids come from. They will be changing also.

Depending on how the county draws the school zones, there's a possibility that Ooltewah could drop to 4A. Red Bank will be affected by the Signal Mtn. school...maybe enough to drop them to 3A.