Dyersburg Sweaks by Gibson Co. with 5 runs in the bottom of 7th!

dave61502

Dyersburg totally got dominated the 1st 6 innings by Copley, but did not give up! They roped him in the bottom of the 7th for 5 runs to win the game in dramatic style!

It's pretty sad when a grown person can say something like a team "roped" and won in dramatic style when everyone at the game knows that Dyersburg had to wait until the bottom of the seventh when Copley had pitched the entire game and held them scoreless to "rope" him. If I'm not mistaken, Dyersburg's starting pitcher came out after 5 1/2 innings but that's the difference in having a real baseball coach and having a science teacher and a assistant principal standing on the sidelines trying to be coaches. The only drama taking place is with the administration at GC not caring enough about the baseball program to have made sure that the coach was legit with tests, waivers or whatever before this baseball season ever started. The only ones suffering for the administration's "oversight" is the kids, especially the seniors. They can't say there's always next year. This is their year to shine and I think they have done a heck of a job despite what administration has done. So if you want to pat yourself on the back and think you actually roped somebody, then go right ahead but I believe everyone knows how the game really ended.

It's pretty sad when a grown person can say something like a team "roped" and won in dramatic style when everyone at the game knows that Dyersburg had to wait until the bottom of the seventh when Copley had pitched the entire game and held them scoreless to "rope" him. If I'm not mistaken, Dyersburg's starting pitcher came out after 5 1/2 innings but that's the difference in having a real baseball coach and having a science teacher and a assistant principal standing on the sidelines trying to be coaches. The only drama taking place is with the administration at GC not caring enough about the baseball program to have made sure that the coach was legit with tests, waivers or whatever before this baseball season ever started. The only ones suffering for the administration's "oversight" is the kids, especially the seniors. They can't say there's always next year. This is their year to shine and I think they have done a heck of a job despite what administration has done. So if you want to pat yourself on the back and think you actually roped somebody, then go right ahead but I believe everyone knows how the game really ended.

I agree with your comments totally, but you can't place all of the blame on the administration. The coach himself knows if he has passed all of his required tests or not. He should shoulder most of the blame in this case. Good luck to GC the rest of the way and I hope the kids make the best of their situation.

How the game ended?? Were you there?? 5 runs off 5 hits - 2 of which were doubles- in the bottom of the 7th. You must be one of the parents who make out the lineup over there. Next year?? why would any coach in his right mind want to go to Gibson Co. after the precedence was set allowing the parents to tell the admin. what to do about the baseball program. You lost a good coach in Messer.

Sorry, but I don't see anything wrong with Dave's post! He gives Copley and GC credit for domonating Dyersburg for 6 1/2 innings and it certainly seems dramatic for a team to score 5 runs in the bottom of the 7th to win.

I wasn't there but based on the fact as presented in Dave's post, I don't know why any Coach would have pulled Copley prior to the bottom of the 7th with him in such control of the game.

Don't blame Dave for problems GC may have with it's coaching situation.

Congrats to Dyersburg and good luck to both teams the rest of the year!

Sounds Like a sore loser. Dyerburg pitching did a solid job keeping things close and the bats came though in the end. The Dyersburg coaches do a great job with the pitching staff. They are also teachers within the school system. I thought the Copley kid pitched a tremendous game. He has great stuff! I am not sure why the coaching staff left him in. I don't believe that they ever thought he would give up 5 runs in one inning after pitching a shut out for 6 innings.

There are reasons that we play 7 complete innings in High School Baseball. This is an example of why that is the case. Copley did pitch a great game. :thumb: Dyersburg is the type of team that will quickly capitalize on errors or coaching mistakes when they can. Hats off to both teams for playing an exciting game. :thumb:

I wasn't taking anything away from Gibson Co. Copley and the rest of the players did an excellent job through 6 innings! Copley is a heck of a pitcher! I was merely stating the facts and throwing in that D-burg did a great job of coming back in the 7th. I don't believe many people thought D-burg would put up 5 in the bottom of the 7th after the way Copley had pitched the whole game! And Messer is a great coach! he has done great things at Gibson Co. It is sad the way things are ending! I would have love to have seen the game with him coaching instead of the Athletic Director!

I wasn't taking anything away from Gibson Co. Copley and the rest of the players did an excellent job through 6 innings! Copley is a heck of a pitcher! I was merely stating the facts and throwing in that D-burg did a great job of coming back in the 7th. I don't believe many people thought D-burg would put up 5 in the bottom of the 7th after the way Copley had pitched the whole game! And Messer is a great coach! he has done great things at Gibson Co. It is sad the way things are ending! I would have love to have seen the game with him coaching instead of the Athletic Director!

The sad thing about the whole deal is that the kid did a great job and if they had a coach to go out and talk to him the results could have been different. Dont put all the blame on Messer. The high road would have been for the administration to say that we both are at fault but that would have taken too much guts to do that. Messer is a good guy who knows that he is partly to blame but take blame when it is deserved and then you might just get a coach to come their and try to keep up what Messer started.

How the game ended?? Were you there?? 5 runs off 5 hits - 2 of which were doubles- in the bottom of the 7th. You must be one of the parents who make out the lineup over there. Next year?? why would any coach in his right mind want to go to Gibson Co. after the precedence was set allowing the parents to tell the admin. what to do about the baseball program. You lost a good coach in Messer.

Yes, I am a GC fan and I was at the game but I can assure you that I am NOT one of the parents that makes out the lineup. I have supported GC baseball and Coach Messer and will continue to support him and the kids until the end. Yes, apparently there are a select few parents that have some pull with administration because TSSAA has given Messer the clearance to be an assistant coach for the rest of the year but apparently administration has told one group of parents that he would not be back and they have told another group of parents that they would get him back on the field as soon as possible. So now administration has to make a decision which set of parents they want to please and I guess we know which group they chose. Messer is a good coach and has done great things with the baseball program and I think they should let him return and finish the season he started. As for last nights game, I think when Copley walked the first batter of the seventh inning, that should have been the first clue to the so called coaches that he was getting tired and possibly needed a relief pitcher. But when you don't know the game of baseball, you don't know that those decisions have to be made at vital times in a game. As for me being a sore loser, you are so far from being correct. I support our kids and that's what it's all about. I just know that the Copley kid deserved a win and due to coaching, he didn't get it. Good luck to both teams.

I agree with the Gibson County coaches as far as leaving in Copley. I mean who else can u put in??? From what i have heard they have no 1 else over there but him. Great job by D-burg coming back from that deficit on one of the best pitchers in the district. That really shows a lot about this dyersburg and the team thay have over there. Who is the kid that is pitching 2nite for them?

Yes, I am a GC fan and I was at the game but I can assure you that I am NOT one of the parents that makes out the lineup. I have supported GC baseball and Coach Messer and will continue to support him and the kids until the end. Yes, apparently there are a select few parents that have some pull with administration because TSSAA has given Messer the clearance to be an assistant coach for the rest of the year but apparently administration has told one group of parents that he would not be back and they have told another group of parents that they would get him back on the field as soon as possible. So now administration has to make a decision which set of parents they want to please and I guess we know which group they chose. Messer is a good coach and has done great things with the baseball program and I think they should let him return and finish the season he started. As for last nights game, I think when Copley walked the first batter of the seventh inning, that should have been the first clue to the so called coaches that he was getting tired and possibly needed a relief pitcher. But when you don't know the game of baseball, you don't know that those decisions have to be made at vital times in a game. As for me being a sore loser, you are so far from being correct. I support our kids and that's what it's all about. I just know that the Copley kid deserved a win and due to coaching, he didn't get it. Good luck to both teams.

I agree with you completely! Messer should have been put back in by the Administration! He knows the game of baseball extremely well and could have helped GC get at least a couple more runs! He also, being a former pitcher himself, would have known when to take Copley out! Do I think he would have taken him out after the 1st walk? No, but he would have pulled him soon after! I do believe that Messer has done great things at GC and would be a great addition to any coaching staff including college staffs! he has done some great things for the next coach to build upon! It is sad and never a good situation when parents have the opportunity to influence HS athletics! GC has the talent to compete in this district, but one man helped give them that chance and now that has been taken away form those boys by a few parents who thought their sons were superstars and their not even close! I hope their proud that they can gripe and complain so that their sons get playing time they don't deserve. That really teaches their kids great things! :thumb:

Edited by dave61502