What about Jerry Link and Hillwood

CoachF

New coach would have to recruit players and not get caught and Link's regime did.

You really have no clue why Hillwood was on probation, do you? They weren't recruiting. A player was going to be transferring in to Hillwood the following year, and they allowed him to practice in the spring. This kid wasn't even a proposed starter, and his family had already moved into the Hillwood Zone. Thus, Coach Link didn't think it would matter. If that's recruiting, then Carlton Flatt and BA must've been a pro team back in the 90's.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really have no clue why Hillwood was on probation, do you? They weren't recruiting. A player was going to be transferring in to Hillwood the following year, and they allowed him to practice in the spring. This kid wasn't even a proposed starter, and his family had already moved into the Hillwood Zone. Thus, Coach Link didn't think it would matter. If that's recruiting, then Carlton Flatt and BA must've been a pro team back in the 90's.

Private Schhols are allowed to recruit if the play in DII...IDiot

Private Schhols are allowed to recruit if the play in DII...

I'm the idiot? Did you even read my post? I was talking about the BA teams from before this whole DII thing started. Rumors were always swirling around Coach Flatt and the talent he was able to bring in year after year. I'm also pretty sure there was a huge court case regarding this whole topic in which BA won. The Supreme Court said the TSSAA can't enforce violations on BA. That's the reason there's a DII now.

Private schools wanted to be able to recruit and provide scholarships. The TSSAA didn't think this was fair to public schools. That's why they split. The private schools who are still in the A, AA, AAA etc.. have to play by the same rules as public.

P.S. Here's the recruiting rule taken straight out of the TSSAA handbook:

Recruiting Rule, Section 17.

The use of undue influence on a student (with or without an athletic record), the parents or guardians of a student by any person connected, or not connected, with the school to secure or to retain a student for athletic purposes shall be a violation of the recruiting rule.

Very true..last fall - football - Lavergne @ Glencliff, the home team had a couple of dozen fans on the home bleachers...the visitor side was nearly full.

Glencliff band - about 20 kids. Lavergne band - over 100.

Metro people (kids AND parents) need to snap out of their malaise about sports and other extracarricualar activies, get their butts out of the mall food courts and back into things that matter, i.e. - kids are only kids once - then its gone.

Extra carriculars are a vital part of a complete education.

GET BACK INVOLVED PEOPLE!!!

(not just when the team is winning, either!!)

It is sad that attendance is so low at most metro schools.

Any coach of any school, public or private, who makes first contact with a student not zoned to their school is recruiting. If a parent makes first contact with a private school then there is no problem. The key is first contact. Coaches of both public and private recruit and will continue just to win. Coaches should just take the kids that are theirs and work there butts off. How many coaches that win big have won without cheating(winning).

Edited by runtheball

Any coach of any school, public or private, who makes first contact with a student not zoned to their school is recruiting. If a parent makes first contact with a private school then there is no problem. The key is first contact. Coaches of both public and private recruit and will continue just to win. Coaches should just take the kids that are theirs and work there butts off. How many coaches that win big have won without cheating(winning).

Coach Short, Coach Porter, Coach Perry, & Coach Holmes.

Metro needs to Put a school in Bellevue. As for Dupont closing, they still could not support their own school. Hillwood is and has been a big disappointment in athletics because the principle does not support Athletics. They have had coach leave that were better qualified than the ones he brings in. Look at the wrestling program. There is one good example. Janet congrats on 25 years of graduation. I have two friends in your class at Hillwood.

What do you know about the current wrestling coach/program at Hillwood (2005-06) to make such a claim?