Coach at Morristown West

eo1914

This isn't about anything like that...it is about treating a man like he is a human being that made a mistake. Parents too are role models...so every time they cuss at home or ground a child are you going to video tape it on the phone and run to Child Services? I don't condone the language he used but there are many a coach out there that put their hands on kids AND use fbombs yet they still are praised for being "role models" mainly because they win championships. Look at the teams record and that is why people are quick to get a coach out for any reason they can...

Settle down oldtimer! If you've read my posts on this, which obviously TLH10 has not (and there's no need to reply to ignorance), I'm not siding with crybaby parents or foulmouthed coaches. I don't know enough about this situation except to say that f-bomb is not acceptable and some action was needed. I have said that the punishment may not fit the crime but it seems to me that some are ready to give a pass without knowing all the facts. Spoiled overprotective parents and abusive coaches both make me sick.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I previously mentioned on another topic thread, we as coaches and parents should be held to the same standards. Just because I coach your child doesn't mean that you should hold me to a higher "moral" standard than you do yourself. Why do we, as a society, think that a coach, teacher, administrator, etc. should be expected to teach our kids the values that they should be getting at home. Sure, for some kids, coaches are the only adult figures in their lives, but to expect more from them than we as parents are willing to give isn't right. How many parents take, or let their children go to an R rated movie that has profanity? For that fact, how many let them watch TV? Just because they see and hear this on TV or at the movie theater, as a parent are you going to condone them speaking the same way. Most will answer NO! But, will you continue to let them watch the show?

I, as a coach, have never cussed a kid, although I have cussed in front of them. Not proud of it and am continuing to watch what I say. I don't let the athletes that play for me use profanity in any form. If they do, they are punished. Does this defer them from using profanity away from my presense, probably not. For me, it's a personal preference not to allow it from the children that I coach. Because I may use profanity as an adult mean that I should allow my athletes or my own kids to do it? No. My point is simply this, stop using the excuse that coaches, teachers, etc. are "role" models and should adhere to a higher standard, and stop using the excuse that kids believe "it's ok because my coach does it". We, as parents should teach our kids that they will have to make choices and hope that they choose the correct ones. If your child chooses to cuss, are you going to blame it on his/her coach?

As I previously mentioned on another topic thread, we as coaches and parents should be held to the same standards. Just because I coach your child doesn't mean that you should hold me to a higher "moral" standard than you do yourself. Why do we, as a society, think that a coach, teacher, administrator, etc. should be expected to teach our kids the values that they should be getting at home. Sure, for some kids, coaches are the only adult figures in their lives, but to expect more from them than we as parents are willing to give isn't right. How many parents take, or let their children go to an R rated movie that has profanity? For that fact, how many let them watch TV? Just because they see and hear this on TV or at the movie theater, as a parent are you going to condone them speaking the same way. Most will answer NO! But, will you continue to let them watch the show?

I, as a coach, have never cussed a kid, although I have cussed in front of them. Not proud of it and am continuing to watch what I say. I don't let the athletes that play for me use profanity in any form. If they do, they are punished. Does this defer them from using profanity away from my presense, probably not. For me, it's a personal preference not to allow it from the children that I coach. Because I may use profanity as an adult mean that I should allow my athletes or my own kids to do it? No. My point is simply this, stop using the excuse that coaches, teachers, etc. are "role" models and should adhere to a higher standard, and stop using the excuse that kids believe "it's ok because my coach does it". We, as parents should teach our kids that they will have to make choices and hope that they choose the correct ones. If your child chooses to cuss, are you going to blame it on his/her coach?

rc, I agree with you to a point but whether we like it or not, we are role models. Some of these kids do not have a good home life and are looking for direction from some authority figure--coach, teacher, movie star, upperclassman, etc. I've cussed myself and cussed myself for cussing. In this situation, apparently a parent had taught his son that what was happening was wrong--a good thing on the surface--but if the situation was used for personal agendas and the principal overeacted, I too feel badly for Chuck. My whole point has been that we cannot whitewash the situation. Discipline applies to coaches as well as players--that's all.

Anyone who has coached teenagers for any length of time has 'lost it' a time or two. I know that I am guilty. Your coach probably needs a bit of discipline himself, but the rest of the season is way out of line. I think the kid with the cell phone will have a hard enough time the rest of the season and on as his punishment.

I've always had one BIG rule......"what my players and I discuss in private or as a team, stays with the team". I hope everything works out for the coach and the team will move on..........Good luck! :thumb:

Ok, I'll reluctantly agree that we are "role" models, but shouldn't all adults be? Shouldn't matter whether your a coach, teacher, janitor, etc. If you come into contact with a child through any situation, that child can learn something from you, good or bad. But, as that childs parent, you are responsible for laying the foundation for him/her to make the right choices to figure out what is "good or bad". In this particular situation, IF, this kids parents have ever used profanity in front of this child, they aren't any more innocent than the coach. Should the coach be punished for not following school policy? Yes, but not to this degree.

Here's a question that hasn't been brought up. Which cuss words are "morally" acceptable? If he hadn't used the infamous "fbomb", would this have even been an issue?

A high school coach is an employee. It is his JOB to coach and teach. That being said, let’s say you go into your place of employment and start dropping the “F” bomb at different people whether they be co-workers, subordinates, customers, (whoever you deal with at work.) Would you be reprimanded for it or would you expect you boss to overlook it because you’re human and are just having a bad day? I’m pretty sure a lot of us would probably get fired on the spot.

I doubt you'd be fired, but, my question still stands. Is it because he used profanity or is it that he used a word that unfortuantely will probably be used in the "common" place in another 20 years or so? If most adults would spend about 30 minutes in the hall ways of any school, I would be willing to bet that the most common cuss word you would hear coming out of the students mouth would be the "fbomb". No, this doesn't dismiss what the coach said. Nor do I condone the use of this word, but, I don't think the "punishment fit the crime" though.

Last time I checked, darn and heck used improperly were considered profanity. Which ones are worse? Don't think it's that defined in the "teachers code of conduct".

No, I am not a saint.

No, I don't have anything to do with Morristown West.

Now, what if you send your kid to school and the English teacher gets mad and starts cursing? Then the kid goes to Math and same thing happens. I just don't understand how some can just dismiss this action and say well, he just made a mistake. Teachers and coaches in high school are supposed to be in this for the kids (cause it sure ain't for the money). They need to act like mature adults and remember that kids are watching there every move. If you allow the coach to go on a cursing rampage just because you lose a game, then how are you going to discipline a kid who throws his bat when he strikes out? What about the kid that cusses out the ump for a bad call? No one is saying that Stansberry should be banned for life. I just said I agree with the decision to let him go for this season. Why you ask? For the reasons I just mentioned. There is no way he can control discipline of his players when they have seen his actions first hand. If this is first incident (which I doubt because of other poster saying it's not) then maybe he should be allowed back as head coach next year. If he has a history of these actions, then I wouldn't want him coaching my child. I want my child to learn how to win and lose with class. I want my child to learn there is a right and wrong way to act. Don't you?

If the administration thinks there are other adults better fit to discipline and mold these kids, why is Stansbury still allowed to teach at the school where he associates with many more teenagers than he does on the baseball diamond? Give me a break, the administration sought the easy way out, giving the parent his way. This is truly an example of a single parent holding a grudge simply because his kid wasn't a good enough athlete to play, and because that single parent handled the matter in an immature manner, coach Stansbury loses his job. I've heard the story from a reliable source. F-bombs weren't flying everywhere. Maybe two. His intentions were to motivate a team who just absolutely collapsed mentally.(which I think has to do with molding them into 'men.') Good job West. You lost a good one.

A high school coach is an employee. It is his JOB to coach and teach. That being said, let’s say you go into your place of employment and start dropping the “F” bomb at different people whether they be co-workers, subordinates, customers, (whoever you deal with at work.) Would you be reprimanded for it or would you expect you boss to overlook it because you’re human and are just having a bad day? I’m pretty sure a lot of us would probably get fired on the spot.

Job or no job, coach or no coach sometimes people just get caught up in the moment and don't realize what they are saying until it has already been said. Apparently he did realize what he said later because he came back and appologized. Like other people have said, coaches, whether one likes it or not cuss and are going to continue to cuss and kids also do the same thing.

I agree that if it were done out of spite, then it is a sad situation. However, I still adhere to the fact that no one made him curse- he chose to do that. No, he shouldn't be taken out of the classroom because coaching is like a second job. Now, if he starts dropping fbombs in the classroom (which I highly doubt) then I'm sure he will be let go. Listen, I don't know if the punishment really fits the crime either. I also don't know anymore about the situation than what I've read on here and the paper. I'm just supporting the fact that MW is holding their teachers and coaches to a higher standard. Unfortunately that's not the norm in today's society. Some on here are right, I've heard coaches that I'm sure are much worse. However, that doesn't make it right. I'm sure the coach is sorry and let his temper get the best of him. I'm also sure he's probably an outstanding young man and coach. However, I'm still glad MW has chosen to show the kids that there is a right way to behave and a wrong way, and that there are consequences for your behavior in life. The choices you make dictate the life you lead.

A high school coach is an employee. It is his JOB to coach and teach. That being said, let?s say you go into your place of employment and start dropping the ?F? bomb at different people whether they be co-workers, subordinates, customers, (whoever you deal with at work.) Would you be reprimanded for it or would you expect you boss to overlook it because you?re human and are just having a bad day? I?m pretty sure a lot of us would probably get fired on the spot.

Your an idiot!!!!

Your point is so stupid!!! The principle said, Chuck is a good person and teacher that made a mistake. I know who you are and as I've know all along and as everyone else can see...your totally against Chuck. The problem is...not everyone knows why your against Chuck, but I do!

Some of you are blowing this all out of context. Most are talking about anything and everything except what the hard core subject matter is.

The bottom line (fact) is: Chuck used the F work 2 times in a butt chewing session.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! It wasn't pointed toward any one person directly. It was aimed towards the whole team. The guy who post earlier about parents letting their kids go to movies that are R rated.........I know for a fact, the kids of the parents who went to the principle, go to these movies. That was a great point! NOW I WANT SOME OF YOU SO-CALLED PERFECT POSTERS TO EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PARENT LETTING HIS/HER KID GO TO R MOVIES AND WATCH TV THAT SAYS THE BIG F AND THEIR KID HEARING IT FROM A COACH.

The guy who post earlier about coaches being role models, I agree, and Chuck is a great role model. Even though HE MADE A MISTAKE. I promise you he loves each and every kid on the team. Would do anything for any of them. Well maybe not now!!! As you can see, he is a role model for most post. He will learn from this! But for the post that say he should lose his job...you need to be checked mentally. You obviously don't know Chuck!

He used the F work 2 times and gets this, not only suspension for remainer season, but all the embarassment and humilitation that goes along with it. For saying F 2 times!!!!!!!!! I'm just sick over this!!! The more I read, the more obvious it is to me how stupid those parents are. 2 Words!!!

If he touched a kid or even directed the F words toward an individual, it may be a little different. But, even then I would have the balls to go talk to Chuck face to face, instead of being a backstabbing piece of crap. I love the iterim coaches, but I have no respect for them for letting the Judas who backstabbed their head coach be on the team, little alone let him play. I know of 3 kids on team who can[t stand the little RAT and want him off the team. But, who know what, the coaches are probably scared to do or say anything. May lose their jobs also.

Anyone who has/had any relations with high school or college sports and knows what type atmosphere there is. Especially if you love the game and are a winner. If you haven't been involved in these sports, you may not understand. Chuck is a winner and wants his kids to be winners. Some idiot said, "well if you acted this way at your work, you would get fired!" Your so lame. You shouldn't even be on this web site. What I don't understand is, you know sports. You know how intense the game is, regardless of what sport, and you say such lame comments. I hardly doubt anyone is going to lose their jobs by saying F 2 times in a highly tense situtation.

Chuck is a proven Christian leader, who directs himself professionally at school and on the field. This is a total injustice! Some of you who hold grudges and think your above the game, look at what you have done to a good person who picked your son to play high school ball, laughed and joked around with, high fived, and had a close relationship with four years. I hope like heck your proud of yourselves!!!!! For 2 words, YOU AND YOUR SNEAKY RATS HAVE CAUSED (WHO KNOWS WHAT WILL BE THE END RESULT) ALL THIS. I have one more question, after the butt chewing session and the big F words. Coach Stansberry apologized and took all the kids out to eat. Did you (RAT) take your tape recording you were gonna nail him to the cross with in the restaurant and enjoy the meal that Chuck gave you. I know you did! Thats gratitude!!!! I could go on!!! Good luck Trojans on the rest of the year. Don't give up! Seniors, now is the time for you to stand up and lead the team. Rally around Chuck and make this be a special season! Especially you Bacon and Ennix!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF guys. this was the dumbest %!$&*#& suspension i've ever @$#%&^% heard. the %#@$^&% coach gets upset off b/c his team blew a huge %@!# lead and uses some colorful language then gets secretely recorded and fired. well $*%#. that is bull#!&*. its competive $@!#%^& sports, cussing is more than COMMON!!! wake the %@#$ up you ignorant parents!!!! welcome the the ^@!&*$& real world. if you dont want your $@&^ kids to hear that language, take them out of $&!#@&* school, dont let them listen to %!@^&*# music, dont let them watch #!%&*#@ movies, dont let them have any #!&(#$%^ friends, dont let them read !@&*#%& books, and dont let them leave the @$&@#^ house. o yeah and be sure to ^$*#@$& comb their hair and set out their clothes for them in the morning before they leave for school.

now before you get the wrong impression, i would never use the "f" missle this much, or even at all for that matter. i am not however so naive that i dont understand how prevelent it is and how often EVERY HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT HEARS IT EVERYDAY!!!!. like it or not parents, its part of the high school jargon. sure you can fire the coach for it, but you're not gonna get every student out of the high school, and probally even your own son (granted i dont know your son, im just assuming him into the majority of teens who do use this word). this post is my feable attempt at a short satire to express the absurdness of the discpline pursued by morristown west.

BTW, if i offended anyone by causing you to use your own imagination to fill in my post. tough luck. maybe you should run to coacht, and have my post deleted. or maybe you should enlighten yourself to reality and stink it up.

Edited by blinddog