Coaching standards

rcpatriot

Due to a previously thread started about a coach being suspended because of actions he displayed during a post game meeting with his players, I think now is an appropriate time to ask, are HS coaches held to too high of a standard by parents? I'm not talking about standards that the school board or tssaa has set, but those that we as parents expect from the coaches that are teaching our kids the game of baseball, football, etc.

I'm a coach, as well as parent. I see parents almost everyday getting upset with how a coach has handled or spoken to their child, and in turn used the same kind of language, or worse, to their child or in front of him. On the other side of that, I have watched parents let their child get away with "murder" outside of the ballfield, but then ask the coach to be the disciplinarian on the field. Point in case, I had an athlete that was dipping away from practice and his mom asked me to discipline him because she didn't like him dipping.

Are parents asking coaches to carry themselves at a higher standard than we as parents are willing to reach ourselves?

Due to a previously thread started about a coach being suspended because of actions he displayed during a post game meeting with his players, I think now is an appropriate time to ask, are HS coaches held to too high of a standard by parents? I'm not talking about standards that the school board or tssaa has set, but those that we as parents expect from the coaches that are teaching our kids the game of baseball, football, etc.

I'm a coach, as well as parent. I see parents almost everyday getting upset with how a coach has handled or spoken to their child, and in turn used the same kind of language, or worse, to their child or in front of him. On the other side of that, I have watched parents let their child get away with "murder" outside of the ballfield, but then ask the coach to be the disciplinarian on the field. Point in case, I had an athlete that was dipping away from practice and his mom asked me to discipline him because she didn't like him dipping.

Are parents asking coaches to carry themselves at a higher standard than we as parents are willing to reach ourselves?

What previous thread are you referring to? What Coach got suspended?

Can there be a "standard"? I think the problem is not that of standards but character. Most coaches I know are persons of character but they are not infallible. A coach who continually abuses his or her players lacks character and is teaching that abusive treatment is okay which can translate to the homes, school, work, etc. and a lifetime of abusive behavior. A good coach does not have to demean to discipline. John Wooden (to me) is the greatest coach who ever lived. To be successful, he did not have to be abusive. At the same time, he was tough on his players but respectful to them as human beings. No former player has ever had any bad things to say about him. I do believe that there are some coaches in our high schools that will never enjoy that kind of reputation because they've confused the priority of building winning character in players with winning ball games.

That said, too many parents want coaches to perform miracles because they have not disciplined their children through the years. Or, the opposite happens, and spoiled brats have no idea what discipline is and cry to their parents that a coach actually expects them to behave, practice, and perform a certain way. These kids are destined to a lifetime of seeing themselves always as "victims."

My coaches were the greatest influencers on my life as to what it takes to succeed and I am thankful for them, but my mom and dad never expected them to be substitute parents or to be perfect.

seems to me that parents want coaches to baby sit.when they(players) get to college parents will see a new side of sports and not be able to "tell the coach" what to do, i tellem to get their stuff and get. they are in for a big shock.a coach must be shown respect (by all i am including parents) BUT they must continue to earn it,same goes for players.a coach has to do what they must to get the best out of each player and that maynot always be the same with each individual. if you don't want to play to win well go play uhhhhh a video game by yourself

PUT YOUR BEST 9 OUT THERE!!!!!!PLAY TO WIN

I coached summer travel baseball for several years and have found that some, but not all, parents have unrealistic expectations of the level of ability that their sons are really on. Most can't see their sons shortcomings and won't or aren't able to be honest about those abilities. We made it a policy to never hold a "chew out session" with our players with their parents in attendence or within earshot. We always did that as a group of players and coaches only.

Parents were always welcomed to talk to us, but it had to be one on one in private and we never talked about another player with somebody else's parent. The players and parents had to agree to that policy before they ever became a part of the team and the parents knew that violiation of that policy was ground for their not being able to attend games.

I coached summer travel baseball for several years and have found that some, but not all, parents have unrealistic expectations of the level of ability that their sons are really on. Most can't see their sons shortcomings and won't or aren't able to be honest about those abilities. We made it a policy to never hold a "chew out session" with our players with their parents in attendence or within earshot. We always did that as a group of players and coaches only.

Parents were always welcomed to talk to us, but it had to be one on one in private and we never talked about another player with somebody else's parent. The players and parents had to agree to that policy before they ever became a part of the team and the parents knew that violiation of that policy was ground for their not being able to attend games.

some parents still have the little league mentality and the same expectations of "fair playing time"

some parents still have the little league mentality and the same expectations of "fair playing time"

That's very true, especially for parents who didn't participate in competitive sports growing up. Some parents expect the coaches to play the student/athletes equally. They can't grasp the concept that at the high school and competitive summer/AAU levels that the players earn playing time by what they do on the practice fields and that coaches are coaching to win games.

That's very true, especially for parents who didn't participate in competitive sports growing up. Some parents expect the coaches to play the student/athletes equally. They can't grasp the concept that at the high school and competitive summer/AAU levels that the players earn playing time by what they do on the practice fields and that coaches are coaching to win games.

Generally, I agree with the idea about parents, playing time, and their kid's ability. I have, though, met a few parents who really did know more about baseball than the HS coach. In all those cases, the dad was a former college player. In my experience it isn't true of every former-player dad, but I've seen it.

The idea that "players earn playing time by what they do...and that coaches are coaching to win games" is a standard. Actually, it's two standards. One standard is that the coach should accurately evaluate what the kids can do; the other is that the coach uses that to determine who plays and to win.

I've seen booster club participation and donations to the program affect how a team is run, too. Naturally, you won't see those coach's names showing up on the "Who's the Best Coach" thread, LOL.

The most difficult thing that a coach does is evaluate talent. Most coaches in the pros, college, high school, etc... are not very good at this part of the game because you can see skills but you have to spend alot of time with the player to know what their work ethic is & their desire to win. If it were easy most number 1 draft picks would make the big leagues.

Edited by cbg