Jewlery Rule

PTSportsWriter

Was at a game yesterday and saw something I've never seen before.

Second time through the line-up a kid is at the plate, and after a 1-1 pitch has been thrown. The umpire dramatically calls time, walks over to the left-handed batters box, calls the batter out for wearing a small gold chain.

This came with runners on 1st and 2nd and 2 out in the inning.

Did the umpire make the right call? Most umpires I've conferred with say they would have just called time and make the batter remove it. Most umpires say "use common sense" in these matters.

Of course, two innings later this umpire when punching a kid out on a called third strike said "Ohh yeah baby" before making the called third strike.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No jewelry may be worn by a player unless it is a medical alert-type bracelet/chain. If it is a medical alert need, the item must be taped down. Jewelry does should include the LiveStrong (and other causes) bracelets and the single strand of yard around the wrists.

By rule, if a player does wear jewelry, umpire is supposed to issue a team warning on first offense, eject player on second and subsequent offenses -- can't cite you a specific rule since book is in the car. However, I do not believe there should be an out in this situation.

Second time through the line-up a kid is at the plate, and after a 1-1 pitch has been thrown. The umpire dramatically calls time, walks over to the left-handed batters box, calls the batter out for wearing a small gold chain.

Did the umpire make the right call? Most umpires I've conferred with say they would have just called time and make the batter remove it. Most umpires say "use common sense" in these matters.

Of course, two innings later this umpire when punching a kid out on a called third strike said "Ohh yeah baby" before making the called third strike.

sounds to me like this umpire got exactly what he wanted....TO BE SEEN AND HEARD!!!... that is a sad reflection of his character and professionalism...Like someone else said..there is a rule in place but MOST umpires use a little common sense when applying hte rule..warn first, then ejection for any player committing the same offense during that game..Most umps I work with remind the coaches about this rule in their pregame meeting..

... Most umps I work with remind the coaches about this rule in their pregame meeting..

You would be amazed though at how many times coaches are reminded of the no jewelry rule during pre-game, then during the first inning you'll be asking players to remove the jewelry.

Here it is : The umpires go over this with the coaches during pregame. He can automatically eject the player. If the ump is doing his job right then he ejects him immediately. Then a sub is entered. The ump was not nit picky at all- the coach should know this. This has been a rule for years. Too bad.

I would assume the player has worn the jewelry before and the coach knew it. No one to blame but the player.

Here it is : The umpires go over this with the coaches during pregame. He can automatically eject the player. If the ump is doing his job right then he ejects him immediately. Then a sub is entered. The ump was not nit picky at all- the coach should know this. This has been a rule for years. Too bad.

That's not the rule. Covering an issue during the pregame does not establish a team warning. If that was the case, we would warn for throwing the bat, profanity, and anything else we could think of at the time. Then we would eject for every major infraction without warning. The kid should have been told to remove it, a team warning should have issued and documented, and then any subsequent act would result in ejection. You're right, however, that the ump was not nit picky, he was just flat wrong.

That's not the rule. Covering an issue during the pregame does not establish a team warning. If that was the case, we would warn for throwing the bat, profanity, and anything else we could think of at the time. Then we would eject for every major infraction without warning. The kid should have been told to remove it, a team warning should have issued and documented, and then any subsequent act would result in ejection. You're right, however, that the ump was not nit picky, he was just flat wrong.

There is no warning for profanity. An umpire is supposed to eject right away. Do you go to the preseason coaches/umpires meetings with TSSAA?

At the meetings the last two years they have strictly emphasized the jewelry and profanity rules. The umpires get it as I am supposed to go over it at pregame and that IS the warning. Most umpires just make them take it off and that is it. But every now and then you will get one in a bad mood that will send them right away. The profanity is taken more seriously.