Jewlery Rule

PTSportsWriter

in this instance, the necklace was tucked under the uniform top, however the chain was visible against the player's black Under Armor wear

By rule..if the player was warned and didnt remove the necklace, then he is gone..The rule does not say worn under the clothing, it says no jewelry except for religous or med alert tags which must be taken care of according to the rule book..(taped down etc.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By rule..if the player was warned and didnt remove the necklace, then he is gone..The rule does not say worn under the clothing, it says no jewelry except for religous or med alert tags which must be taken care of according to the rule book..(taped down etc.)

So whats considered a religious item?

Sounds to me - unless its defined - that could be opening another pandora's box of defining what is is, to take one from a former American President.

So whats considered a religious item?

Sounds to me - unless its defined - that could be opening another pandora's box of defining what is is, to take one from a former American President.

You are absolutely correct//very touchy subject(religous symbols) these days..I have never been involved with that situation ..I just ask the coaches to remind their players of the jewelry rule in the pregame meeting and haven't had a problem with it yet..I am sure that TSSAA has certain criteria of what is acceptable or not..

What? Now were supposed to overturn or ignore the rule but only after we ID them? Get real! I guess basketball players can smoke while there on the bench, too!

What rules are you looking at?

Good post PurpleGrad!

Classic example of a reply that totally misses the point. I'm begining to almost expect it though.

Edited by wes_c_addle

You are absolutely correct//very touchy subject(religous symbols) these days..I have never been involved with that situation ..I just ask the coaches to remind their players of the jewelry rule in the pregame meeting and haven't had a problem with it yet..I am sure that TSSAA has certain criteria of what is acceptable or not..

I'm sure that they are in no way qualified to give out such criteria. Oh well, being uninformed or unprepared has never stopped them from adressing an issue before!! Remind anyone of another high profile figure in America???

Maybe you should read what I wrote...I never mentioned the phantom slung bat rule...That would come under an umpires judgement about unsportsmanlike conduct and YES I would eject a player if he slung a bat in disgust or even his helmet for that matter..Examples of poor sportsmanship or behavior or whatever you call it being overlooked are the main reason that the umps have to deal with situations like these in just about every game...

why dont you call Mr. Menees Monday and ask him if a player can rightfully be ejected for throwing a bat or his helmet for that matter, and also ask him if that ejection can be protested..I will be willing to bet that TSSAA will uphold the actions of their umpire's decision

Here's my original post:

I don't have a problem with an ejection if the umpire's first warning was at the home plate meeting. I have a problem with blue calling the batter out. There's no rule that states the batter can be called out for wearing jewelry, using profanity or slinging his bat. The proper call could be to eject the player and have a substitute take his place in the batting order and the count would be assumed, but he's not out.

Your Original Reply to my first post:

I think you should know the rules a little better if you think you should protest something like slinging the bat rule in youth leagues.. that is silly. If a H.S. ump issues a team warning for jewelry, then the warning extends to ALL team members whether in the game or not at that time..When the warning has been issued , then any player (starter or sub) who enters the field of play with jewelry on is to be ejected without further warning..however I think most umps will discreetly make them take it off unless it is the player first found to be in violation. Tnen if it is the original one, then he should eject them at once..RULES ARE RULES, NO MATTER HOW UNIMPORTANT they may seem..As for profanity, the coaches have been told at preseason meetings etc. that any profanity will NOT BE TOLERATED..no warning given!!!!!

Ok, then I'm questioning your comprehension of my post. I OBJECT TO THE BATTER WEARING THE JEWELRY BEING CALLED OUT! Warn him, eject him, remove him from the park! He is not OUT! I know that he can be ejected. He should be ejected. He is not out by the very rule you are quoting. Gene Menees will read that rule the same way as I just described it. I'll save my quarter

Edited by ksgovols

Here's my original post:

I don't have a problem with an ejection if the umpire's first warning was at the home plate meeting. I have a problem with blue calling the batter out. There's no rule that states the batter can be called out for wearing jewelry, using profanity or slinging his bat. The proper call could be to eject the player and have a substitute take his place in the batting order and the count would be assumed, but he's not out.

Your Original Reply to my first post:

I think you should know the rules a little better if you think you should protest something like slinging the bat rule in youth leagues.. that is silly. If a H.S. ump issues a team warning for jewelry, then the warning extends to ALL team members whether in the game or not at that time..When the warning has been issued , then any player (starter or sub) who enters the field of play with jewelry on is to be ejected without further warning..however I think most umps will discreetly make them take it off unless it is the player first found to be in violation. Tnen if it is the original one, then he should eject them at once..RULES ARE RULES, NO MATTER HOW UNIMPORTANT they may seem..As for profanity, the coaches have been told at preseason meetings etc. that any profanity will NOT BE TOLERATED..no warning given!!!!!

Ok, then I'm questioning your comprehension of my post. I OBJECT TO THE BATTER WEARING THE JEWELRY BEING CALLED OUT! Warn him, eject him, remove him from the park! He is not OUT! I know that he can be ejected. He should be ejected. He is not out by the very rule you are quoting. Gene Menees will read that rule the same way as I just described it. I'll save my quarter

Did I mention anywhere in my reply to you about calling anyone OUT??? No sir, I said it is proper to eject them if in violation...after a warning to the team and most umpires give such a warning in the pregame...Trying to explain this to you is kind of like an old saying I once heard...Its is difficult to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is UNARMED..Get the point?

Did I mention anywhere in my reply to you about calling anyone OUT??? No sir, I said it is proper to eject them if in violation...after a warning to the team and most umpires give such a warning in the pregame...Trying to explain this to you is kind of like an old saying I once heard...Its is difficult to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is UNARMED..Get the point?

Again, making a point in the pregame is not and can not be considered a team warning.

Again, making a point in the pregame is not and can not be considered a team warning.

Absolutely ... pregame conference reminder is not the same as a team warning. I think the only thing you could get away with during the pregame meeting is issuing team warnings for throwing with intent at hitters if something from the previous game (either that day or day before, not three weeks before, like is sometimes done in MLB) necessitates it. And then it would have to be a really bad incident from the previous game to carry it over to the next game.

TSSAA Handbook. Article IV. Section 18. The use of tobacco by any coach, official or player is prohibited at any TSSAA santioned event.

Right, wrong or indifferent, that is the rule and we should abide by it. If we are going to overlook the players that dip/chew then lets overlook them if they smoke a joint or pop a pill.... same difference. It is illegal for anyone under 18 to buy, possess or use tobacco of any form. But what about the one's over 18 you ask..... they are still "Students" and still must abide by the rules of the state. Tennessee code prohibits the use of tobacco at school. This rule extends to school sponsored events, such as athletic competitions.

Not taking into account that dipping/chewing tobacco is nasty and the adverse effect that it has on your health, the RULES ban them from high school athletics and coaches and officials that do not enforce those rules are guilty of negligence of duty..........

Let me tell you something. I am an umpire and I am certified by Dizzy Dean and USSSA and i know some of the umpires for TSSAA because i umpire with half of them... and you kno0w what, half of them dip during a game... that is the reason half of them do not enforce it when they see a coach with one in... The dipping during a game thing i can understand. I know you will agree with me on this. If we can't dip on the field than why should players for Major League be able too... don't tell me it is because they are old enough, because i am 18 and I dip and you can't do it on the field or in college... I don't think it is right for them to be able to dip if we can't. and from the sounds of it I am guessing you don't because you were telling us about the aftermath of dipping... Let me tell you, all those pics you see in health class or whatever in school of people that have dipped, they have dipped for about 30 or 35 years and did about a can or a can and 1/2 a day. They are missing a jaw basically because they eat, sleep, and wake up with a dip in... And how in the heck did we go from talking about jewelry to Tobacco.. :thumb:

What? Now were supposed to overturn or ignore the rule but only after we ID them? Get real! I guess basketball players can smoke while there on the bench, too!

What rules are you looking at?

Good post PurpleGrad!

By the way Purple Grad... Trust me about the jewelry rule, I know I am Right :thumb:

By the way Purple Grad... Trust me about the jewelry rule, I know I am Right :thumb:

Are you talking about where you said first warning, second out, third ejection? Completely wrong by NFHS rule book (see my previous post where I quoted the NFHS rule book), which is what you're supposed to be using for high school ball.

As for tobacco, the use of tobacco and tobacco products has been banned at all levels of organized baseballs except for Major League Baseball. I believe that being caught with tobacco in Minor League Ball is a lengthy suspension. In high school and college ball it is an ejection. However, I believe the reason this may not be enforced is that umpires are not looking into every players' mouths trying to search for tobacco. But if someone is dumb enough to spit tobacco juice out right in front of me, I guarantee you that the person will be ejected.

Edited by chuckm