NFL-style playing field donated to MBA

larry

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would have to admit that this kind of donation is normally limited to private schools. Christian Brothers and MUS are also adding artificial turf this year. I don't know of any public schools adding artificial turf...although I am sure some have it in their indoor facilities. MBA will have only two games on natural grass next season (at BA and McCallie).

JCM just got a sizable donation from Al Wilson - although I don't think it is for a turf field or that large. I know there are some publics in GA with fieldturf. I think it is just a matter of time before publics realize the maintenance savings involved with that type of purchase since football fields are usually multi-purpose fields in reality at many schools.

JCM just got a sizable donation from Al Wilson - although I don't think it is for a turf field or that large. I know there are some publics in GA with fieldturf. I think it is just a matter of time before publics realize the maintenance savings involved with that type of purchase since football fields are usually multi-purpose fields in reality at many schools.

I don't think they are cheaper...but they are much easier to maintain. You can play in virtually any weather conditions. If you resodded every year...it might be comparable. Nobody does that. I saw where Al Wilson donated back to his school. Good for him.

Edited by Antwan

If you resodded every year...it might be comparable.

I agree that no one resods every year. However, when you take the cumulative effect of resodding periodically, sprinkler systems, mowing, weedeating, and just general maintance when a field is used by multiple sports ... the costs are cheaper or about even when considered across say a 7-10 year period.

It is tough for a public to justify that though with tight budgets though.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

I don't think they are cheaper...but they are much easier to maintain. You can play in virtually any weather conditions. If you resodded every year...it might be comparable. Nobody does that. I saw where Al Wilson donated back to his school. Good for him.

Who knows what it cost to resod a field but I seem to remember the Titans doing it for about 100 grand. The problem with MBA is that they would have the following teams using one field for games and some for practice:

Middle School Track

Freshmen Track

Varsity Track

7th Grade Football

8th Grade Football

Freshmen Football

JV Football

Varsity Football

Middle School LAX

JV LAX

Varsity LAX

Middle School Soccer

JV Soccer

Varsity Soccer

Who knows what it cost to resod a field but I seem to remember the Titans doing it for about 100 grand. The problem with MBA is that they would have the following teams using one field for games and some for practice:

Middle School Track

Freshmen Track

Varsity Track

7th Grade Football

8th Grade Football

Freshmen Football

JV Football

Varsity Football

Middle School LAX

JV LAX

Varsity LAX

Middle School Soccer

JV Soccer

Varsity Soccer

So do most other schools.

So do most other schools.

True, but most schools don't have 14 or 15 sports using the same field do they? How many Smith County athletic teams use the football field? I know that public schools in Texas have been going to the artifical playing surfaces for the past ten years.

True, but most schools don't have 14 or 15 sports using the same field do they? How many Smith County athletic teams use the football field? I know that public schools in Texas have been going to the artifical playing surfaces for the past ten years.

Varsity Football

JV Football

Freshmen Football (sometimes)

Middle School Football

8-9 Youth league

8-9 Youth b-team

10-11 Youth league

10-11 Youth league b-team

I don't see any SpinTurf or Field Turf in our immediate future. :thumb:

Varsity Football

JV Football

Freshmen Football (sometimes)

Middle School Football

8-9 Youth league

8-9 Youth b-team

10-11 Youth league

10-11 Youth league b-team

I don't see any SpinTurf or Field Turf in our immediate future. :thumb:

Do you mean to tell me that FanMouth isn't going to be giving back to his school in the near future?????????

MBA has also built a beautiful new athletic field complex for it`s middle school program over off Charlotte Ave at 42nd Ave. It has a large field that can be used for baseball as well as soccer, football and Lacrosse.

It is lighted and fenced and has a nice maintenence facility to go with it. That, along with the fieldturf on the main varsity field really gives MBA adequate space for all of their teams to practice and play.