Why not dump TSSAA and form another governing sanction, run by the coa

SoccerOnTheRise

If everyone doesn't agree with most of TSSAA's logic and decisions, why don't the high schools just dump the TSSAA and form another sanctioning body run by the coaches. Tennessee High School Assocaiton sounds good to me. It seems to often to me that State Tournaments and Championships are often not run correctly, decisions are often not made with good sense and punishments are often to harsh for the crime. Let's get rid of TSSAA.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If everyone doesn't agree with most of TSSAA's logic and decisions, why don't the high schools just dump the TSSAA and form another sanctioning body run by the coaches. Tennessee High School Assocaiton sounds good to me. It seems to often to me that State Tournaments and Championships are often not run correctly, decisions are often not made with good sense and punishments are often to harsh for the crime. Let's get rid of TSSAA.

ok, and when were done with that we might as well overthrow the united states goverment too

Whatever dude. I see so many people complaining about TSSAA, whether it's handing down punishment incorrectly, making rule changes, adjusting this and that and coaches not happy with decisions that are being made, that why isn't there a change made? Maybe forming another sanctioning body is a little overboard, but who elects these people who seem to be there year after year making the decisions that everyone is so unhappy about. It was just a question posed and sarcasm could have been left out.

Edited by SoccerOnTheRise

Whatever dude. I see so many people complaining about TSSAA, whether it's handing down punishment incorrectly, making rule changes, adjusting this and that and coaches not happy with decisions that are being made, that why isn't there a change made? Maybe forming another sanctioning body is a little overboard, but who elects these people who seem to be there year after year making the decisions that everyone is so unhappy about. It was just a question posed and sarcasm could have been left out.

There is a phrase called the "silent majority". Most people agree (and yes that is an assumption of mine) or are apathetic about what the TSSAA does. The minority tends to be much louder. Aren't people who are mad about something always louder than the ones who are not?

There is a phrase called the "silent majority". Most people agree (and yes that is an assumption of mine) or are apathetic about what the TSSAA does. The minority tends to be much louder. Aren't people who are mad about something always louder than the ones who are not?

True!

And just for the record, I am not mad or disatisfied with TSSAA, I was just wondering why people who complain about this body so much, don't do anything about it or can they? Who does the elections, who elects who, who nominates who etc...

True!

And just for the record, I am not mad or disatisfied with TSSAA, I was just wondering why people who complain about this body so much, don't do anything about it or can they? Who does the elections, who elects who, who nominates who etc...

I don't agree with everything they do either, but I can't imagine trying to run this large of an organziation. You do understand they govern every sport imaginable in the state, fall and spring sports and what an undertaking that would be. I think if you were to give them an overall grade, you would have to give them an A. As far as elctions and stuff if you look here I am sure there is info for anyone wanting to know. http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbookindex.htm.

I do wish they would re-look on how they hand down punishment and not have it so black and white and really look at the entire situation. I think that would be my only suggestion for them, but again I wouldn't want to fill those shoes, it's easy for each of us to sit here on the computer and type out our suggestions without looking at the whole picture.

True!

From the "let's get rid of the TSSAA" quote, it does come across that you don't care for them too much.

Okay already, point well taken, I know what I said, but that was a little overboard. If we can stop this post, that would be good. I am sorry!

don't let the big guys run you out of this, man. i feel that you have a strong point. not only do i think that there is significant dissatisfaction with TSSAA in the soccer community, but i think that people more involved in soccer at higher levels (not college, but club and odp) are more frustrated. while a silent majority may be apathetic, i don't know where one would begin to construct a case that a majority of people support TSSAA decisions. in my experience, generally the more you know (notwithstanding the opinions of the informed posters who have already chimed in on the other side) the more you know the more you dislike with TSSAA.

to point out only a few legitimate complaints:

TSSAA has a complicated set of rules that often, as we have recently seen with Tullahoma and Riverdale, result in schools being punished in a manner disproportionate to the crime.

TSSAA certified referees tend to be disproportionately inept (compared to referees in the state who officiate at club tournaments), in large part i would contend, based on what i understand to be a rather un-taxing certification process - why doesn't TSSAA simply adopt USSF standards?

Note: this is the subject about which i admit to knowing the least - though i can say without hesitation that it absolutely is a fact that TSSAA refs are not as good as other referees even in the state of TN

TSSAA is run by high school coaches of all sports (and yes, they do a pretty good job on other sports in general, but that observation has no bearing on whether or not it is the best option for soccer) and disproportionately, it would seem, by football coaches, who, jealous of their athletes, and following the lead of several other southern states relegate the soccer season to the spring despite the fact that in other parts of the country and even the region, it is played in the fall. The result, of course, is that club teams who win state and go to compete in regionals have effectively had only a month or so to pull together a team to compete with sides who have been playing consistently for half a year. It is the rare team (props to TNFC 88) that has any success playing that game.

TSSAA exacerbates this problem by restricting the kinds of practice that players can participate in outside of the school team during the season. This hurts not only club teams, but all players who truly want to improve, by preventing them from engaging in many critical activities in the presence of the best players from other schools and coaches and trainers who are often (though certainly not always and i do not mean to malign high school coaches) much more qualified than the coaches that kids play for at the high school level, some of whom are just well-intentioned and admirable, but not always skilled academic and gym teachers.

I don't think that breaking from TSSAA would necessarily entail any great amount of chaos. The same divisional structure could be used, the same facilities exist, the same coaches, who have to contact each other to schedule games anyway would be there, and there is an almost limitless pool of people with the organizational skills needed coordinate the state tournament. Although it might be more trouble than it'd be worth, the option should be seriously discussed, if for no other reason than to put pressure on TSSAA to enact needed reforms.

peace.

Even if there was another governing body, do you think that people would be satisfied with that either? I personally don't see anything wrong with the TSSAA, what's the problem with them? What are they doing so wrong? What would a group of coaches with a thousand things on their plates already do to make whatever your problem is better?