Why not dump TSSAA and form another governing sanction, run by the coa

SoccerOnTheRise

Those are all great points by goo! I had a son in 8th grade who wanted to play for his middle school and with his friends. Now 8th grade middle school soccer means nothing, but they made my son choose between middle school soccer and olympic development program. During the season, and ODP event was being held over the weekend. The event included one training session of an hour and half and two games, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. IT did not conflict with any middle school games what so ever, but TSSAA did not give him a waiver to particiapate that weekend. So, he had to choose between the two. Now who makes an eighth grader choose between his friends and a opportunity to participate in an ODP event. My son chose ODP. So he didn't play soccer for a solid two months, just so he could participate in that event. No some of you are going to say, that was his choice. I believe it was the right choice, but should he have even had to make the choice. I don't think so.

I have to say, a lot of the club teams objectives these days are to provide such incredible soccer that one day they will for go their high school soccer team to participate in thier club teams. Unfortunately for soccer, college coaches can't come to thier games and scout the players, so they have to rely on being on very good travel teams and going to major tournament events.

But as goo mentioned, it seems soccer is not very well represented and that TSSAA doesn't look at the whole picture as to when high school soccer needs to play in order to make it work with the rest of the country, instead of doing what's best for high school football. Most of the athletes who play soccer, don't even play football, so I don't understand why they don't move soccer to the fall with the rest of the country so to give these boys their opportunity to travel, compete against some of the best club teams in America and be seen my more college coaches.

I do think overall though, if you have to give a grade to TSSAA, which I said in one of my other post, it would have to be a A. I think it wouldn't hurt them to take a look at each of the different sports and put representatives with interest in those sports in a position to make command decisions, and maybe they do that, I don't know. It's easy for each of us to make judgement on the computer and easy for us to set here and make comments. As for me, if they came and ask me to participate to help, I would say no, I don't have time, unless they pay me to do it. But I don't think I would want that job, to satisfy each and every one in every sport that they regulate.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ManU721-

did you read the post? i pointed to four specific things that TSSAA is doing wrong and that a different organization could do to make "whatever [my] problem is better." If you disagree with any of the critiques, make an intelligent post, otherwise don't feel compelled to interject fluff into what should be a serious conversation.

Blackman Soccer Dad-

What happened to your son is a travesty. Fortunately, most middle school teams are not members of TMSAA, TSSAA's middle school organization. While I was in middle school, I was able to simultaneously participate in school, club, and ODP ball, and I continued to improve at a a much higher pace than I did once I got into high school - it worked extremely well and HELPED rather than hurt the quality of middle school game the same way that reforms could help the quality of high school game. I was quite baffled when, upon entering high school, the rules suddenly changed - I looked for a rational answer as to why this would be the case and found none.

Your point about access to college scouts is well taken. I shied away from making it myself because you inevitably have the poster who signs on and says "well most kids aren't going to play in college, so it doesn't matter..." Which argument I find to be somewhere between irrelevant (because some do) and simply an observation of the status quo (does it not seem to these posters that the fact that so few TN soccer players go on to play in quality college programs might have something to do with the fact that they're not getting opportunities to be scouted?)

Unfortunately for soccer purists, i do not think that we will ever see the day when a majority of the best players forgo high school soccer, because the social aspect of things is so rewarding. I don't think that this is necessarily bad, i think that forcing kids to decide between club and high school would be forcing them to make a decision like the one your son made between ODP and middle school ball that's not fair. Instead, TSSAA should facilitate effective participation in both by conforming to national norms instead of allowing the football coaches to dictate which season soccer will be played in.

Finally, though I agree with nearly all of what you've said, I feel that I must reiterate that while TSSAA's performance coordinating many other sports (though not all - see lacrosse for example) may be admirable, the only information relevant to the question of whether or not it is the best governing body for high school soccer is how well it serves the interests of high school soccer and high school soccer players. Looking objectively at the situation, I would contend that it betrays those interests in several significant ways and if it cannot be pressured to reform from within, it should be taken out of the picture entirely by efforts to build from without.

BigG and Coacht -

I respect your insights and would love to hear you weigh in more substantively on the particulars of the issue.

BigG and Coacht -

I respect your insights and would love to hear you weigh in more substantively on the particulars of the issue.

I think the people who are mostly posting about this and the other thread about Tullahoma are on the "wings" of the issue... what I mean by that is they are either really against it or really for it, and I think there is a middle ground that most of us fall into. I hate that a bunch of kids are affected, but I also know that if you let even the minor infractions by, you are setting yourself up for a much harder road in the long run. I am glad that I don't have to make those decisions.

I also hope and pray that they don't abolish the TSSAA and give it to the coaches, because I barely have enough time to do what I do now without regulating all of the sports in TN. I also think working for the TSSAA is a thankless job, that only gets the big press when something is done "wrong". Any governing body of such a massive amount of people (and athletes especially) is going to have to make hard decisions that will negatively affect some people, but are necessary. It's like cuts on a soccer team. I feel they are necessary for me to do a good job. It is easy? Not by any means. I am definitely not the most popular guy after I post the teams. Does that mean that I will stop doing it? No. That's my job, and it is the TSSAA's job to enforce the rules.

I hope that Tullahoma will be able to continue their season with great success. I am sorry that it had to happen, and greatly respect them for turning themselves in.

Oh, and about the ODP... the TSSAA was great in working with us and Brandon Tarr. I don't know about the TMSAA, but our experience with the highschool was quite positive. They allowed him to play for region and nationals.

lol, exactly y do u want to get rid of tssaa? if we got rid of something thats already there coul du imagine the chaos that the coaches would have. not only puttin your season togehotr but trying to find places adn setting up places for state tournies. Man that would be utter chaos.

That sounds lke the same logic the Tories used in the War of Independence.

"Why get rid of the British blah, blah,........."

Go sip your cup of tea!

As expected G, you make some quite valid arguments. I think I'll respond to some of the things that you said point by point:

1.) Perhaps giving the organization to the coaches in a direct way is not the best of plans - they/you do have a lot to do already - but it does not seem illogical to establish a separate administrative office to coordinate soccer. Because it would only be one sport, it would be smaller and almost definitionally less unwieldy and more responsive to SOCCER (rather than football and other) coaches even if they did not run it. As to "regulating all of the sports in TN" the job is as preposterous as you make it sound and any sport that tries to participate in such a venture (i.e. TSSAA) must recognize that in doing so it cedes power over itself to whoever (i.e. football coaches) runs the organization and puts itself at their mercy.

2.) It is the TSSAA's job to enforce the rules - true - but with power comes responsibility and it is irresponsible to be uncompromising and unthinking in their application. While one can make the argument that the strict enforcement of the rules will serve as an example for others, one might also look at the flip side and see that other teams who are aware of the situation will be much less likely to turn themselves in when they realize they are violating the rules if they aren't able to trust that they will be treated fairly....and i for one wouldn't blame them. Rules are only effective as long as people believe and have reason to believe in their fairness, particularly when they are dependent on the willing acquiescence of those governed by them. I am far removed from both the Tullahoma and Riverdale situations, but I can only shake my head and empathize.

While TSSAA makes exceptions for ODP on a fairly regular basis, that program is more an every once in a while (usually once a month) kind of thing. The place that you really get better is usually club, as it meets more frequently and locally...and TSSAA has never, to my knowledge made an exception for it. When we step back for a moment, too, and consider the fact that high school athletics should be about the kids involved, we have to wonder why policies that keep players from developing are accepted without question by those who ought to be protecting their interests, including their parents, their coaches, and themselves. Is it just easier or am I missing something?

BigG (and anyone else who'd like to step to the plate - props to the Express already)

I'd be very interested to hear why we ought to continue to stand by as arbitrary regulations stunt the development of players across the state by preventing them from practicing with club teams during the regular season and playing ball in the spring rather than the fall, thereby decreasing the number of opportunities for them to be scouted (see other posts if unacquainted with this process)? These are the most egregious TSSAA policies and they affect all players rather than a few unlucky teams each year (not that that's ok).

it seems to me that the only legitimate reason to continue to exist within TSSAA would be that we felt as though our (the soccer community's) best interest's were respected. the most compelling evidence of that, more convincing than overturning the Tullahoma ruling or apologizing to Riverdale (both of which ought to be done anyway) or using a more reasonable certification process for referees, would be to move the soccer season to the fall, or at the very least remove restrictions on outside practices, though both would be best.

peace.

goo, here is another thing to mull over that actually does have me a bit miffed. Talk is going around (and I'm not sure how valid it is, so take it with a grain of salt) of only allowing 3 players from 1 school to be on a club team together (regulating in the off season).

Like I said, someone might know more than I, and I hope that I am wrong.

goo, here is another thing to mull over that actually does have me a bit miffed. Talk is going around (and I'm not sure how valid it is, so take it with a grain of salt) of only allowing 3 players from 1 school to be on a club team together (regulating in the off season).

Like I said, someone might know more than I, and I hope that I am wrong.

For soccer the maximum number would be six from one school on the same club team during the school year.

I think both sides have good arguments and I only want to touch one one issue, that being playing soccer in the fall instead of the spring. I am at a small school and would be decimated by a decision to compete with football. I already have kids who know their future is in soccer and would gladly play year round if the pressure from, family, teammates, and community wouldn't tear at them. I don't think I am the only coach that has to deal with this situation. In a perfect world all our kids would play club, than come back to high school, than go back to club or ODP. I think we know this is not a perfect world. Just my two cents.