Why not dump TSSAA and form another governing sanction, run by the coa

SoccerOnTheRise

G-

wow! i haven't heard anything about that, though you are much more in the loop than i am. that's completely unacceptable and even more arbitrary than some of the things that are wrong right now. i have difficulty believing that even TSSAA would seriously consider something that out of line, though perhaps that is simply naivete. if you hear anything more concrete, be sure to let people know so that they can do something about it!

Coacht-

are you talking about the old rule that allows games outside of school during the season to be no larger than 6 v 6 or is this information regarding the proposed new rule? if the latter, do you have any idea what the rationale is, how it would be enforced, who is supporting it (disgruntled, losing coaches?), or anything else? while the limit of six is less likely to be binding on many teams, it is still profoundly arbitrary and potentially harmful to the development of young players. furthermore it seems that TSSAA would be getting into the business of trying to regulate people's choices outside of what should be its realm of action (not that prohibiting players from practicing or playing soccer in other leagues during the season is not, but no reason to add to a bad record...)

to the two of you above, i apologize for including this next on the same post, but am weak enough to feel that i must.

manu721-

if you prefer not to read longer posts, that's fine, understandable even, but don't comment on them if you haven't read them or involve yourself in a conversation if you're not interested enough in it to read what's being said.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

akula21- that's a great point. i wouldn't be surprised if there are others like you out there. i'm not sure what the answer is. one hopes that there is some way to address both your concern and the others. can't think of anything off the top of my head, but i'll work on it. any ideas from anyone?

manu721-

if you prefer not to read longer posts, that's fine, understandable even, but don't comment on them if you haven't read them or involve yourself in a conversation if you're not interested enough in it to read what's being said.

please dont boss me around. You are on a forum for high school soccer not a place to write an essay to show off how smart you think you are.

please dont boss me around. You are on a forum for high school soccer not a place to write an essay to show off how smart you think you are.

alright, dude, i'd not consider my posts to be 'essays' and certainly don't think that they are motivated by any desire to 'show off how smart' i am. like i said, if you don't want to read them, don't. i apologize if you feel as though i'm trying to to boss you around and i'm sorry if i offended you at some point along the way. i hope that we can leave this tangential, personal altercation aside and focus on the content of the thread, which i do feel strongly about and hope that you do too and that that's why you've been keeping up with the thread. the more people involved in the discussion and the more ideas on the table, the better, feel free to participate. sorry again. hope we can put it behind us. peace?

I have some friends who coach high school and club in other states, I think their rules were that you could only limit how many players from the same school played together if their high school coach was involved. I may be wrong but that was how it was explained to me. This was to avoid year long coaching around rules. As far as TSSAA, I have not been coaching long enough to add anything not already posted, my only thought is that we are always going to be able to complain about something, so lets use this thread to think of ways of helping the TSSAA get better in their treatment/focus of the sports that don't get a ton of the pub or make alot of money, imagine if someone in football got into a situation like this, alot of attention would be put on making improvements. I think this could be healthy for our sport.

goo, here is another thing to mull over that actually does have me a bit miffed. Talk is going around (and I'm not sure how valid it is, so take it with a grain of salt) of only allowing 3 players from 1 school to be on a club team together (regulating in the off season).

Like I said, someone might know more than I, and I hope that I am wrong.

So what does that mean, if a team carries more than 6 players on a high school team and a club team, that they would be ineligible to play high school soccer. I sure home that's not the case. First, you would have to point out a school that ahs that. Second you would have to count how many times that has happened over the past years and third, I sure hope you don't punish players for living in the same city, being the same age and going to the same high school and make them choose between high school and travel soccer. If I am reading coacht's statement wrong, then let me know.

Edited by BlackmanSoccerDad

So what does that mean, if a team carries more than 6 players on a high school team and a club team, that they would be ineligible to play high school soccer. I sure home that's not the case. First, you would have to point out a school that ahs that. Second you would have to count how many times that has happened over the past years and third, I sure hope you don't punish players for living in the same city, being the same age and going to the same high school and make them choose between high school and travel soccer. If I am reading coacht's statement wrong, then let me know.

If 7 high school players played on a club team, during the school year, only 6 of those 7 would be eligible the next season.

I think this originated with AAU basketball. Some highschool teams were playing year round as a full squad, while others were not. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I don't know how you would enforce the soccer rule (or any of the rules) of chosing which player of the 7 would be ineligible.

I think the rule only hurts the quality of sport rather than help. I think it is great for your teams to play together as much as possible.

I think this originated with AAU basketball. Some highschool teams were playing year round as a full squad, while others were not. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I don't know how you would enforce the soccer rule (or any of the rules) of chosing which player of the 7 would be ineligible.

I think the rule only hurts the quality of sport rather than help. I think it is great for your teams to play together as much as possible.

I grew up in Ohio (mid 90's). They had/have? a rule that allowed only 5 players from one high school to play on the same club team. The high school coach was not allowed to coach ANY of his players in the offseason. The rationale was that high schools could gain an unfair advantage by putting together club teams and play year round.

The rule had a serious impact. Players I played with were cut from club teams and had to play elsewhere because of the limit. Fortunately, in Northern Ohio, there are 5 or 6 D1 club teams. In Tennessee, there is usually one D1 team per metropolitan area and age group. This rule could be tough on some individuals and club teams in this area.

I would be strongly apposed to this rule in Tenn. I've never met a competitive club coach whose goal it was to make a specific high school team stronger. In fact, many club coaches are frustrated that high school soccer exists (I am a high school coach and that is a separate issue).

I grew up in Ohio (mid 90's). They had/have? a rule that allowed only 5 players from one high school to play on the same club team. The high school coach was not allowed to coach ANY of his players in the offseason. The rationale was that high schools could gain an unfair advantage by putting together club teams and play year round.

The rule had a serious impact. Players I played with were cut from club teams and had to play elsewhere because of the limit. Fortunately, in Northern Ohio, there are 5 or 6 D1 club teams. In Tennessee, there is usually one D1 team per metropolitan area and age group. This rule could be tough on some individuals and club teams in this area.

I would be strongly apposed to this rule in Tenn. I've never met a competitive club coach whose goal it was to make a specific high school team stronger. In fact, many club coaches are frustrated that high school soccer exists (I am a high school coach and that is a separate issue).

On this same note, how is a rural team like Scott County or Oneida supposed to get enough "non school" players to form a team? They will be either forced to travel to play, or not have a squad at all.

On this same note, how is a rural team like Scott County or Oneida supposed to get enough "non school" players to form a team? They will be either forced to travel to play, or not have a squad at all.

too true. also true that it will - no, i'm not willing to concede its inevitability - that it would hurt the level of soccer played in the state. it is also true that complications like those brought uniden, involving which player to make ineligible are troublesome. the policy, as uniden pointed out, has no real grounding, high school/club coaches are almost never the same - i can think of only one exception off the top of my head and she coaches girls.

it seems painfully obvious that kids who go to the same school, live near each other, and like each other would play with the same, local club - there's nothing conspiratorial about it. most club teams are formed when kids are eight, and sometimes now, even seven years old. given that this is the case, the idea that they exist primarily or even secondarily as vehicles to advantage one high school or another is simply preposterous. club teams offer a place for kids of all ages, including HS, to get better training and become better players - they function in the interest of individuals, not schools.

any benefits that accrue to particular schools are incidental. if as a high school coach, you feel that other coaches are deriving a benefit from the system that you are not, encourage young kids that will end up in your school to get involved in club, you'll be doing a favor to them, yourself, and everyone who plays with against them and gets to compete at a higher level as a result of their training.

coacht - you seem to be the most in the loop about the content of the proposed rule. do you also know where, within, TSSAA this debate is taking place and who one might contact to either get more information or help to see the harm that the measure would do?

As far as TSSAA, I have not been coaching long enough to add anything not already posted, my only thought is that we are always going to be able to complain about something, so lets use this thread to think of ways of helping the TSSAA get better in their treatment/focus of the sports that don't get a ton of the pub or make alot of money, imagine if someone in football got into a situation like this, alot of attention would be put on making improvements. I think this could be healthy for our sport.

to return to this observation briefly. certainly, efforts at reform the extant system are more likely to be successful than efforts to create a new one and should be worked towards. i would point out two things, before returning to agreeing with you. first, if situations do get bad enough, one should be willing to consider more serious measures even if they are more difficult. second, i feel that if we are able to legitimize the idea that breaking away from TSSAA is a feasible option, it will not only become a feasible option, but will be a powerful tool in leveraging TSSAA to deal more seriously with the soccer community's complaints. it would be ideal (and is probable) that with concerted effort and the kind of discussion that this board has facilitated, no extra-systemic action will be necessary. i agree whole-heartedly with the gist of what you said and commend your commitment to improving the situation. now, back to the proposed rule, which seems to be of immediate concern...