Fair or Foul

HRB6

How many of you have seen a bunt "hug" the line for a basehit. If it were based on where the feet of the fielder was at when the ball is touched, then every drag bunt would be foul. Because we would teach the third baseman to run to foul territory and reach out to field the ball!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good one...Batter hits a ball down 3rd. base foul line, ball is inside fair territory, 3rd. baseman is partially in foul territory when he makes a play on the ball, home upm calls a fair ball becasue the 3rd. baseman caught it in fair ground, you make the call, the ump was correct, but we had the best umps in the world making the call from behind the screen.....

If the ground ball is fielded over fair territory, it is fair and live. If it is fielded over foul territory, it is foul and dead. If it is caught in flight, over foul or fair ground, it is an out, obviously, and the ball is live in both situations. Like many have said, foul or fair is determined by the position of the ball only.

The position of the ball when it is touched in this situation determines if it is fair or foul.

You are totally correct.....It's amazing how stupid these bleacher blue's are when they totally have no idea other than they think they know it all...These people had the courage to complain loudly that he made the worst call they have ever seen because their 3rd. baseman was in foul territory when he made a play on the ball and it clearly in fair ground....

Thanks again, I don't mind saying that these people are from U.C. and they gave this man sure &&^^% over this, and they are the one's totally wrong, but he'll never get an apology......

U.C. Huh? See if you can research why they are no longer serviced by the Knoxville Association of Umpires. The situation, involving fans, coaches, players, and administrators that led to that is simply unbelievable.

You are totally correct.....It's amazing how stupid these bleacher blue's are when they totally have no idea other than they think they know it all...These people had the courage to complain loudly that he made the worst call they have ever seen because their 3rd. baseman was in foul territory when he made a play on the ball and it clearly in fair ground....

If you think fans are bad, try dealin with little league coaches. Some of then act like the umpires are supposed to know what they're doin...lol. But coaches really are worse than most fans at that age.

If you think fans are bad, try dealin with little league coaches. Some of then act like the umpires are supposed to know what they're doin...lol. But coaches really are worse than most fans at that age.

A lot depends on how the league is run. My kids played in a really good Little League; the men and women who were allowed to coach were screened pretty well and, as a consequence, the coaches were much better than the fans. The secret to maintaining good order was the league president's trump card: since it was a completely private league--no public parks or money--he could invite people to leave the league and never come back. And he did.

Thanks for all of the good and knowlege of the game, my partner was booed and told a bad call by all on the team of the ones that thought they knew the call, but I told him to hold his head high because he was right, hope some of them see this??

Tell your partner the next time he has a team boo him or give him alot of grief on a call, go to the coach and warn him. Next peep he hears toss the coach and any players he feels are at fault. That will get the coaches and the players attention that they are not going to take control of this game. Sitting out a game will change their attitudes.

Tell your partner the next time he has a team boo him or give him alot of grief on a call, go to the coach and warn him. Next peep he hears toss the coach and any players he feels are at fault. That will get the coaches and the players attention that they are not going to take control of this game. Sitting out a game will change their attitudes.

yeah that is what i would do then you are really opening up a big can of TROUBLE let the fans be wrong do not make matters worse by trying to throw everyone out of the game that has to be the LAST resort.

yeah that is what i would do then you are really opening up a big can of TROUBLE let the fans be wrong do not make matters worse by trying to throw everyone out of the game that has to be the LAST resort.

If an umpire can throw a player out of a game for saying "bad call" and I have seen it done, he certainly doesn't have to take a bunch of crap from a team. Remember the team was booing him. I stand by my call. The umpire is in control.