Tennessee Thunder

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading the posts on here and I have noticed that a lot of people dont like the Tennessee Thunder. I jus want to know why. Is it because they are good and they won the Nationals last year? :blink:

I DONT HATE THE THUNDER I AM JUST ASKING WHAT GUYS DO THE PUT INFRONT OF COLLEGE COACHES. AND HEY THE WON A DIV 2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP STALLIONS,CELTICS AND ANY MEMPHIS TEAM COULD HAVE WON THAT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. I JUST WANT SOME GOOD FACTS ABOUT THEM WHO DO THEY SEND TO COLLEGE WHERE ARE THERE KIDS GOING TO SCHOOL WHO WENT TO COLLEGE OFF OF THERE 17 YEAR OLD TEAM LAST YEAR. NOBODY HAS STILL ANSERWED MY QUESTION WHY HAVE THEY NOT PLAYED INFRONT OF ANY COLLEGE COACHES???????????????????????? THIS YEAR????????????????????

I like the Thunder administrators Mike Williams, Merritt, and Kenny. I have tremendous respect for Tony Thompson and consider him a friend. We've talked on the phone, our families have sat down and ate dinner together, etc. The 16U team have kids on that team that I have coached before, some that I have coached since they were 5 and 6 years old. Kyle Upton, T.J. Whitlow, Marcus Jefferson, Carlos Holder, and 17's Martecius Reed are all like sons to me and are close friends to my son Erik. There's probably some I'm leaving off, sorry, you know where you stand with me. Kyle Upton is especially close to me. We go WAY back. These kids use to stay over my house anytime they wanted. I am still VERY close friends with the Whitlow's, Jefferson family, and Holders. We communicate and gather together to party and eat and do things outside of this basketball crap. The Uptons (his mother, grandmother, grandfather, brother, nephew, aunt, neice, etc.) are like family to me. They are still exceptional close to Erik's mother's family. Erik is friends with most all the Thunder players. The THUNDER has some first class people in their organization. However, some of what is done and said in the stands by some others around their organization about KIDS is intolerable. It is definitely not a reflection on ALL Thunder members in my perspective, but sometimes one bad apple tends to get them all labeled. I am a competitive guy, so I love some of the friendly trash talk that goes on, but MAN way too many times it gets taken to a PERSONAL level. Some close to the situation want me to name call, but I'm not going to stoop to others level. I have been in the field of computer technology for MANY years, trust me, it is easy to trace messages to a specific IP address (the exact computer). If you have the exact computer, then you can find what company that IP address belongs to. It's sad to find out where some of these messages come from. To many in the THUNDER organization I appreciate what you do. Keep up the good work.

I have been reading the posts on here and I have noticed that a lot of people dont like the Tennessee Thunder. I jus want to know why. Is it because they are good and they won the Nationals last year? :thumb:

I dont know what nationals youre talking about but they would have gotten beat at the real nationals by either of the championship teams- P Miller Ballers or D1 Greyhounds. Just like any other Tn team. Including Midstate.

By the way, people dont hate the thunder, just some of their fans.

I like the Thunder administrators Mike Williams, Merritt, and Kenny. I have tremendous respect for Tony Thompson and consider him a friend. We've talked on the phone, our families have sat down and ate dinner together, etc. The 16U team have kids on that team that I have coached before, some that I have coached since they were 5 and 6 years old. Kyle Upton, T.J. Whitlow, Marcus Jefferson, Carlos Holder, and 17's Martecius Reed are all like sons to me and are close friends to my son Erik. There's probably some I'm leaving off, sorry, you know where you stand with me. Kyle Upton is especially close to me. We go WAY back. These kids use to stay over my house anytime they wanted. I am still VERY close friends with the Whitlow's, Jefferson family, and Holders. We communicate and gather together to party and eat and do things outside of this basketball crap. The Uptons (his mother, grandmother, grandfather, brother, nephew, aunt, neice, etc.) are like family to me. They are still exceptional close to Erik's mother's family. Erik is friends with most all the Thunder players. The THUNDER has some first class people in their organization. However, some of what is done and said in the stands by some others around their organization about KIDS is intolerable. It is definitely not a reflection on ALL Thunder members in my perspective, but sometimes one bad apple tends to get them all labeled. I am a competitive guy, so I love some of the friendly trash talk that goes on, but MAN way too many times it gets taken to a PERSONAL level. Some close to the situation want me to name call, but I'm not going to stoop to others level. I have been in the field of computer technology for MANY years, trust me, it is easy to trace messages to a specific IP address (the exact computer). If you have the exact computer, then you can find what company that IP address belongs to. It's sad to find out where some of these messages come from. To many in the THUNDER organization I appreciate what you do. Keep up the good work.

AirFO (Eddie), I am glad your experience is good with the Thunder. But people can only draw on their experiences. Yours is positive. That is a plus. Ours was not. However, I don't bad mouth I just take a negative and make a positive out of it. I just wish everyone realized that we are "all" in this together. There is TOO MUCH bickering amongst coaches, players, parents, etc... Whose the best Middle, East, or West Tennessee, and my question is "WHY"? I heard too much, "I'm going D-1, D-2, D-3, etc.." when we should be looking at how to get our childrens' ball skills to a level that they enjoy themselves and possibly get a free education, ANYWHERE!!!! But we have too many people living vicariously through these kids and its bananas!!!

What we need to teach these boys and girls is reality. Count how many people from Tennessee are in the NBA or WNBA. Now, how many fingers did it take. Its all right to dream, but as adults, we need to deal with reality.

Best wishes to you and yours from your former babysitter (RM). :)

quote:

What we need to teach these boys and girls is reality. Count how many people from Tennessee are in the NBA or WNBA. Now, how many fingers did it take. Its all right to dream, but as adults, we need to deal with reality.

Thank you. About 3% of kids who play h.s. get to play a varsity sport on any level in college, I've seen. A few of those play as pros. Very few.

More emphasis on academics in needed.

More respect for colleges such as Vanderbilt who recruit qualified student/athletes instead of contempt for academics might be a nice start.

quote:

Thank you. About 3% of kids who play h.s. get to play a varsity sport on any level in college, I've seen. A few of those play as pros. Very few.

More emphasis on academics in needed.

More respect for colleges such as Vanderbilt who recruit qualified student/athletes instead of contempt for academics might be a nice start.

Good post.

How come Justin Bather doesnt start for the thunder he's better than Kyle Upton. There are rumors the only reason why he isn't starting is this is his first year with the thunder. He has hooops and a Jumper out this World. Someone please tell me cause this guy can ball.

I wouldn't say he is better than Kyle but he is as good as him, I can tell u why, its because he doesnt show enough confidence when he gets in. I agree, the kid can ball but until he starts stepping it up on the court he needs to continue to come off the bench.

Well here goes. I have personally watched the Tn Thunder organization for many years. I do believe they attempt to provide kids a positive atmosphere with their organization and staff. However, I recently was on hand to watch one of the thunder games this weekend at Kenwood High School. I believe these guys were 14u and they were playing in a very intense game on Saturday night. Although techinicals were not issued, the coach whined the whole game from start to finish. Two fans were ejected (assuming parents) during the contest. The game was even by score, fouls, and officiating was consistent in my opinion. But, these two fans were on the front row just wearing the one official out. They were seemed to be using the cheating aspect as well. As we all know, the officating in games now a days may not be grade A, but 99% of the time it has nothing to do with race, gender, ethnicity, or anything that would constitute foul play. To the incident, thunder player drove the lane and looked like he flopped after throwing up a circus shot. Father (assumed) runs towards the referee in a threatining manner towards the court and comes withing 2 or 3 feet of the court and the referee. He was immediately ejected. No technicals were given. A few minutes later. Thunder player was shooting freethrows and fan 2 (mother) shouts out "you ain't nothing but a punk $$$ referee". She was then ejected and no technicals were issued.

I have also seen Mr. Williams and some of the others in the organization just continuosly ride officials from start to finish and parents act in very negative manner towards them as well. If it was just an isolated incident, I wouldn't even be on here. They have been ejected out of gyms, quit before the game was over (took their ball and went home so to speak) and many other issues that do not present a positive influence for these kids they claim to give so much too.

Again, I do believe that their intententions are to help these young men, but are having an adverse affect due to their antics.

Motivation Speakers are very good for the players to hear. Maybe the parents and coaches should be allowed to listen and take notes.

Everything is not always fair and just bc it doesn't go your way, it does not mean that someone, something, or some other entity is against you or cheating.

Edited by Coach2001

Well here goes. I have personally watched the Tn Thunder organization for many years. I do believe they attempt to provide kids a positive atmosphere with their organization and staff. However, I recently was on hand to watch one of the thunder games this weekend at Kenwood High School. I believe these guys were 14u and they were playing in a very intense game on Saturday night. Although techinicals were not issued, the coach whined the whole game from start to finish. Two fans were ejected (assuming parents) during the contest. The game was even by score, fouls, and officiating was consistent in my opinion. But, these two fans were on the front row just wearing the one official out. They were seemed to be using the cheating aspect as well. As we all know, the officating in games now a days may not be grade A, but 99% of the time it has nothing to do with race, gender, ethnicity, or anything that would constitute foul play. To the incident, thunder player drove the lane and looked like he flopped after throwing up a circus shot. Father (assumed) runs towards the referee in a threatining manner towards the court and comes withing 2 or 3 feet of the court and the referee. He was immediately ejected. No technicals were given. A few minutes later. Thunder player was shooting freethrows and fan 2 (mother) shouts out "you ain't nothing but a punk $$$ referee". She was then ejected and no technicals were issued.

I have also seen Mr. Williams and some of the others in the organization just continuosly ride officials from start to finish and parents act in very negative manner towards them as well. If it was just an isolated incident, I wouldn't even be on here. They have been ejected out of gyms, kicked out of tourneys and many other issues that do not present a positive influence for these kids they claim to give so much too.

Again, I do believe that their intententions are to help these young men, but are having an adverse affect due to their antics.

Motivation Speakers are very good for the players to hear. Maybe the parents and coaches should be allowed to listen and take notes.

Everything is not always fair and just bc it doesn't go your way, it does not mean that someone, something, or some other entity is against you or cheating.

Amen. Great post. I witnessed similar behavior when my child played and not just in this age group. I have been present when the attitudes of the fans and parents were addressed by the organization but some parents were still allowed to act in this manner. For what reason, who knows, but I can assume, but won't. :lol: