All State

KoLax33

Congrats to all the All Americans and All Staters. I find it interesting that State Champ, MBA has 6 all state players, while teams finishing behind them had more: McCallie (11), Ravenwood (12), Houston (8), and MUS (7).

Lets see - Formula for Success

Fewer Stars plus More TEAM = State Championship

Congrats To MBA!!

I would rather have a ring than any of the individual honors.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA's goalie was definatly worthy of some sort of recognition i would have to say that Carver is better than both kay and abernathy i have said this once and i'll say it again i do not believe that kay was an all state condtender this year and his team just made him look good i think that any goalie that steps in for MBA McCallie MUS or maybe even Ravenwood is going to look good just based off of the good shots that their defense gives them. I definatly think that barnes was worthy of 1st team he is the best all around goalie in the state and i think that the coaches recognized that as for MBA's goalie...he was done wrong and was definatly worthy of second team...by the was what grade is he in

obviously you don't know much about being a goalie or lacrosse in general. probably just a parent. to an extent what you said is true. having a good defense helps. you have to look at the overall picture. kay and mba's goalie both played solid in the semis and finals. in the finals both had around 15 saves each and none were easy. most were one on one and within 5-7 yards. plus they outlet well. plus you have all the coaches getting to see all the talent.

some of these other goalies can't handle the ball well. you also need to look at the quality of teams they play against or put that into perspective if they don't. same with barnes. these three did well against all semi final teams during the regular season. the mba goalie is not the most spectacular goalie, he makes the saves he has to and gets the ball up field. when you see low save counts for games that doesn't mean he or anyone played poorly but it doesn't mean he played great. but he did have shaky games against some lower guality teams like Louisville Trinity and houston. Didn't play all that well against Ravenwood the first time around or MUS.

as far as kay goes he deserved 2nd, should have been co first team. head to head match up kay gave up 4 with around 15 saves, barnes gave up 9 with around 10 saves, but for being a first year starter he played well. his only bad game was against MUS the first time. Had 6 saves total. However He made 2 saves down the stretch one on one that preserved the win with less than five minutes to go. he had 16 saves against gilman, the #12/13 team in the COUNTRY.

No one else even played a team close to that level this year. Held Lassiter to 6 goals and had 17 saves, they just won the GA State Championship. Also ranked as a honerable mention team in the country by Inside Lacrosse. Shut down MUS in the semi finals. Double digit saves while allowing 3 goals. he clears the ball exceptionally well.

His overall GAA for the year was 5.31. If you look back to a previous column I said in college the goalies who make all american are the ones with the low GAA, not save percentage. save percentage and save counts can be misleading b/c of quality of schedule, gaa CANNOT. you also have a clean slate going into the playoffs b/c the temp is different and people want to see what you can do when the pressure gets turned up. he played well from start to finish this year. Against bad teams he allowed 2 goals or less. Against good teams he played incredible, even in the losses. He makes the saves he has to and he makes a ton of the ones he shouldn't. leads the defense well. Outlets well. In college if you have a gaa at 5.31 your team is most likely playing memorial weekend if not on memorial day for the championship.

obviously you don't know much about being a goalie or lacrosse in general. probably just a parent. to an extent what you said is true. having a good defense helps. you have to look at the overall picture. kay and mba's goalie both played solid in the semis and finals. in the finals both had around 15 saves each and none were easy. most were one on one and within 5-7 yards. plus they outlet well. plus you have all the coaches getting to see all the talent.

some of these other goalies can't handle the ball well. you also need to look at the quality of teams they play against or put that into perspective if they don't. same with barnes. these three did well against all semi final teams during the regular season. the mba goalie is not the most spectacular goalie, he makes the saves he has to and gets the ball up field. when you see low save counts for games that doesn't mean he or anyone played poorly but it doesn't mean he played great. but he did have shaky games against some lower guality teams like Louisville Trinity and houston. Didn't play all that well against Ravenwood the first time around or MUS.

as far as kay goes he deserved 2nd, should have been co first team. head to head match up kay gave up 4 with around 15 saves, barnes gave up 9 with around 10 saves, but for being a first year starter he played well. his only bad game was against MUS the first time. Had 6 saves total. However He made 2 saves down the stretch one on one that preserved the win with less than five minutes to go. he had 16 saves against gilman, the #12/13 team in the COUNTRY.

No one else even played a team close to that level this year. Held Lassiter to 6 goals and had 17 saves, they just won the GA State Championship. Also ranked as a honerable mention team in the country by Inside Lacrosse. Shut down MUS in the semi finals. Double digit saves while allowing 3 goals. he clears the ball exceptionally well.

His overall GAA for the year was 5.31. If you look back to a previous column I said in college the goalies who make all american are the ones with the low GAA, not save percentage. save percentage and save counts can be misleading b/c of quality of schedule, gaa CANNOT. you also have a clean slate going into the playoffs b/c the temp is different and people want to see what you can do when the pressure gets turned up. he played well from start to finish this year. Against bad teams he allowed 2 goals or less. Against good teams he played incredible, even in the losses. He makes the saves he has to and he makes a ton of the ones he shouldn't. leads the defense well. Outlets well. In college if you have a gaa at 5.31 your team is most likely playing memorial weekend if not on memorial day for the championship.

First obviously you did not watch the state championship game in which one goalie (Morgan) won the game for his team and the other(Kay) was shaky at best. I am not saying that kay is a horrible goalie because i watched the gilman and he played very well, but Morgan played out of his mind in the championship. Secondly please do not question mine or any other person's lacrosse knowledge. You have no idea who they are. I was a starter on MUS's team and after playing teams twice, Morgan is by far the better goalie of the two.

First obviously you did not watch the state championship game in which one goalie (Morgan) won the game for his team and the other(Kay) was shaky at best. I am not saying that kay is a horrible goalie because i watched the gilman and he played very well, but Morgan played out of his mind in the championship. Secondly please do not question mine or any other person's lacrosse knowledge. You have no idea who they are. I was a starter on MUS's team and after playing teams twice, Morgan is by far the better goalie of the two.

i was there. ive been there for every game this year except 2. i've seen those mba games i mentioned. shaky? you obviously need to rewatch the game. it was a dogfight. no one played poorly, on any team, at any position. those two guys both gave their teams a chance to win and in the end mba came out on top. it was a 2 goal margin. each team earned their goals. they have the two best offenses in the state. no one was letting in garbage.

ask your boy ron. ask redtwin (liles). ive played with them. ive done it at this level and college. this fall it will be pro. ive coached and recruited at this level and college. ive been a goalie since i was 12 and ive back it up on the field in more ways than one. i think i know a thing or two when it comes to that position. morgan is not better than kay or barnes. i think he's better than abernathy and eveyone after that. i think he's right around 3rd team/honerable mention. he hasn't been consistant beginning to end. henry has. ill admit he got robbed of honors. no doubt. his two best games of the year were this past weekend, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the year. barnes maybe didn't have his best game last friday in that loss, but he played well the whole year. had some upsets against mba and almost against lassiter.

im sure a goalie stick stuck in the ground would seem better than someone else. when you can't generate offense it might appear that way. kinda like the houston game? or westminster? lassiter? semifinals? you picks. there were only 7 of them to chose from. you pick.

ca

i was selected for the 2005 expansion draft and then again in january for the complete draft. i didn't get signed. ive been offered 2 tryouts over the past year as a free agent since chicago last fall. 2 out west. it would be fun but i don't care for the west coast. been there done that. for other reasons , family and job wise, i don't want to be travelling that far. atlanta will have a team soon with the market there and that is what i am banking on.

whether i get signed or not i get my name out there. im not getting my hopes up b/c d3 players usually get overlooked or traded. i played against a lot of these guys in college and since in post collegiate tournies like vail and ocean city and i did well everytime. my teammate from college who was d3 defender of the year and 4 time all american plays for chicago. kevin finneran is an owu alum and former indoor and outdoor pro player. weve had some things in talks.

i know i can compete with their goalies. a lot of whom graduated in the early 90s. plus ive lived there for 3 years and i like it. i enjoy playing with music city. i don't know how that works with club. i think you can play out of season, but not in. im just looking at it in terms of exposure for having teams here in the south.

congrats to mba. you guys had a heck of a season. its been a while since you guys had the gold but it couldn't happen for a better guy than harvey. great player great coach.

i was selected for the 2005 expansion draft and then again in january for the complete draft. i didn't get signed. ive been offered 2 tryouts over the past year as a free agent since chicago last fall. 2 out west. it would be fun but i don't care for the west coast. been there done that. for other reasons , family and job wise, i don't want to be travelling that far. atlanta will have a team soon with the market there and that is what i am banking on.

whether i get signed or not i get my name out there. im not getting my hopes up b/c d3 players usually get overlooked or traded. i played against a lot of these guys in college and since in post collegiate tournies like vail and ocean city and i did well everytime. my teammate from college who was d3 defender of the year and 4 time all american plays for chicago. kevin finneran is an owu alum and former indoor and outdoor pro player. weve had some things in talks.

i know i can compete with their goalies. a lot of whom graduated in the early 90s. plus ive lived there for 3 years and i like it. i enjoy playing with music city. i don't know how that works with club. i think you can play out of season, but not in. im just looking at it in terms of exposure for having teams here in the south.

congrats to mba. you guys had a heck of a season. its been a while since you guys had the gold but it couldn't happen for a better guy than harvey. great player great coach.

[/qu

Wow. Whenever this guy isnt bashing MUS or worshiping Henry Kay, he is talking about himself. There is no "I" in "team" man.

i just want to comment on how classy a guy ripcurl is and apologize for having an opinion. wait no i dont. its fine for to take shots at mus even though i never said that mccallie or any other team we lost to played poorly. i merely stated that i played against both teams twice and i felt that morgan was the better goalie. if you ask anyone on our team i think that they would say that. henry is not a bad goalie. he played well against top notch competition but when it comes down to it carver played better when in counted in the tournament.

Dang, Henry how much are you paying this guy? But one thing you must remember, if MUS stinks soo badly then why did we generate enough offense to lose to MBA by one the first time and eventually beat them the second time? If you look at the 2006 to the 2005 team, you notice we lost our top three scorers (gibson, sawyer, noel) and this year we had two middies trying to play attack and a sophomore. In my eyes they did one heck of a job to adjust from the superstar offense to what we had this year. Our team was young and all ive got to say is we return 9 out of 10 guys who atone point started throughout the year. So it will be interesting next year

I think that both goalies played well. Kay and carver. Both had great outlets. As far as goalie goes- im a goalie as well. I did not get to see the full seasons worth of play. I thought that Kay was had better form in saves just by watching the warm ups. But i did feel that carver made some huge saves (great reaction time). As far as who is betteri cannot judge since i did not see the whole season. Tournament play i was impressed with the saves carver made. But i was also impressed with Kay's. Not to mention im scared to say who i think is better out of fear of being torn up.

Dang, Henry how much are you paying this guy? But one thing you must remember, if MUS stinks soo badly then why did we generate enough offense to lose to MBA by one the first time and eventually beat them the second time? If you look at the 2006 to the 2005 team, you notice we lost our top three scorers (gibson, sawyer, noel) and this year we had two middies trying to play attack and a sophomore. In my eyes they did one heck of a job to adjust from the superstar offense to what we had this year. Our team was young and all ive got to say is we return 9 out of 10 guys who atone point started throughout the year. So it will be interesting next year

Russel, I didnt say anything about anyone, dont get mad at me. I dont even know who ripcurl is!