Who wins Region 4 A/AA?

manU721

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any info on the WH game, how they scored, when, how they looked. sounds like it was a good game.

We just got back in from the game. Another rainy game for the White House Blue Devils, but apparently they like playing in that condition. About 3/4 of the game was played in the rain. WH looked very sharp throughout the game playing on the offensive end of the field for most of the game. LA thought they had scored early in the contest only to find out that it didn't count because of a handball. They didn't really mount much of a threat after that. Just short of the midway point of the second half, keeper Josh Martin punted the ball that carried well over half the field and forward Andrew Taylor tracked it down as the ball bounced over the stopper for LA. Andrew got his foot on it just as the keeper was coming out to make the save and it rolled into the net for the winning goal. WH then played some longball and possession, as well as having several shots just glance off the LA keepers hands to save goals, to perserve the win. It was a very cleanly played game. The field wasn't nearly as bad as what I had been told and was expecting to see. I was surprised that there weren't more LA fans there since they were playing a Regional game at home.

I sure look forward to a round 3 rematch with Portland. I hope it's as good a game as it was in the District Championship with the outcome in our favor this time. We'll see you there Thursday night.

We just got back in from the game. Another rainy game for the White House Blue Devils, but apparently they like playing in that condition. About 3/4 of the game was played in the rain. WH looked very sharp throughout the game playing on the offensive end of the field for most of the game. LA thought they had scored early in the contest only to find out that it didn't count because of a handball. They didn't really mount much of a threat after that. Just short of the midway point of the second half, keeper Josh Martin punted the ball that carried well over half the field and forward Andrew Taylor tracked it down as the ball bounced over the stopper for LA. Andrew got his foot on it just as the keeper was coming out to make the save and it rolled into the net for the winning goal. WH then played some longball and possession, as well as having several shots just glance off the LA keepers hands to save goals, to perserve the win. It was a very cleanly played game. The field wasn't nearly as bad as what I had been told and was expecting to see. I was surprised that there weren't more LA fans there since they were playing a Regional game at home.

I sure look forward to a round 3 rematch with Portland. I hope it's as good a game as it was in the District Championship with the outcome in our favor this time. We'll see you there Thursday night.

I agree with most of this. White House did come out pretty hard, especially the beginning of the second half. It seemed to me the game was pretty even. "They didn't really mount much of a threat after that. " I don't really understand why you would say that, seeing as the offensive chances seemed pretty equal throughout most of the game. You simply capitlalized on our mistake at the right time. Good job on that. I thought it was a well played game and we're looking forward to seeing you guys again next year hopefully. Congratulations to White House on the win. By the way, did you play, BDP fan?

I agree with most of this. White House did come out pretty hard, especially the beginning of the second half. It seemed to me the game was pretty even. "They didn't really mount much of a threat after that. " I don't really understand why you would say that, seeing as the offensive chances seemed pretty equal throughout most of the game. You simply capitlalized on our mistake at the right time. Good job on that. I thought it was a well played game and we're looking forward to seeing you guys again next year hopefully. Congratulations to White House on the win. By the way, did you play, BDP fan?

I can't really recall any critical save our keeper had to make unlike the keeper for LA. I know he had to make several diving saves, awesome I might add, but for the most part our keeper was able to field the ball pretty easily. There were just a few times that he was pressured on as he was gathering the ball. I wasn't trying to take anything away from LA at all, so please don't think that. No, I didn't play. My son is a junior for WH and was there for him and the team.

Region 4A/AA Championship

White House at Portland

5/18, 7:00 pm

This should be a well-played game between two teams that I think have a lot to prove. Portland is still trying to prove themselves as legitimate contenders to be a force in state, while WH will be playing to show that they can play with and beat Portland. It is difficult to beat a team three times, especially one that is your bitter rival, and Portland will have their hands full.

Field size will be the first factor in this game. Will WH be able to compete on a large field? The district championship was played on a football field, small enough to make WH's counter attacks much more dangerous and effective. However, in the game between these two in the regular season (at Portland), WH was not able to get a shot on goal. While I do think WH will be able to generate more offense this time around, I do not think it will be enough to offset the pressure that Portland will be able to create.

The midfield will be another big factor in the game. Any Portland turnover will result in immediate WH pressure, as WH takes the ball from midfield and immediately looks to put it on the opponent's defenders, forcing them to make a play. Any mistakes and WH has a shot on goal. WH has been able to make it this far by working harder in the midfield than their opponents, but Portland matches them for intensity and does not allow WH to win the ball so easily. Perhaps it is because of the rivalry or maybe something else, but Portland has found ways in the past to take over the midfield and thus take over the game.

Both teams' defenses will have to show up to play. WH counter attacks make them dangerous at almost any point in the game, while Portland's frontline seems to have figured something out (in the last three games, one striker has 4 goals and 5 assists, while another has 5 goals and 4 assists).

Should be a good game and another exciting chapter in the Portland-WH rivalry. In the end I think the final score will be Portland 3, WH 0. I do think the game will be much closer than the score, as the last Portland goal will come late in the second, taking advantage of last minute desparation.

Let's here some more thoughts on the game. I love arguments :unsure:

what grades are #23 and #5 for wh in?

#23 is a sophomore and #5 is a senior ...

What a game!!!!! I don't know that my heart could have taken another 5 minutes of that game. WH scored a goal early in the first half and held off an onslaught of offensive pressure from Portland almost the remainder of the game. Our sophomore keeper, J. Martin, played probably the best game I've ever seen him play. I told him after the game that it looked like he really wanted this one and he said he didn't want to go to Chattanooga. I told him I didn't either. It was a huge win for a WH team that had been beaten by Portland twice this year. We play CSAS at 8:00 Saturday night in White House. Portland travels to CCS for a match up with CCS Saturday night but I don't know what time. I truely wish Portland the best Saturday night. Have a safe trip there and back as well.

Nice to have met you smitty !!

#23 is a sophomore and #5 is a senior ...

What a game!!!!! I don't know that my heart could have taken another 5 minutes of that game. WH scored a goal early in the first half and held off an onslaught of offensive pressure from Portland almost the remainder of the game. Our sophomore keeper, J. Martin, played probably the best game I've ever seen him play. I told him after the game that it looked like he really wanted this one and he said he didn't want to go to Chattanooga. I told him I didn't either. It was a huge win for a WH team that had been beaten by Portland twice this year. We play CSAS at 8:00 Saturday night in White House. Portland travels to CCS for a match up with CCS Saturday night but I don't know what time. I truely wish Portland the best Saturday night. Have a safe trip there and back as well.

Nice to have met you smitty !!

That was truly a great game, and as much as I hate to say it, White House earned every bit of that 1-0 win. White House won the game in the first 30 minutes, as they definitely were the team that came out with something to prove, attacking every ball and eventually catching a Portland back out of position... nice through ball and a good goal. What is interesting to note is that that shot was the only real WH shot on goal (there was one weak shot that I'm not sure would've counted as a save). That shows you just how important every possession is and that teams, no matter how good or bad, only need one chance to pull off the shocker, and that is what happened tonight.

BDP FAN may have understated it when he said that WH survived an onslaught of offensive pressure in the second half. Portland applied an INSANE amount of pressure generating numerous scoring opportunities. The keeper from WH deserves two cookies and a date with the girl of his choice after his performance tonight. It wasn't that the saves were spectacular or incredible; it was that he held onto every one of them and prevented any and all rebound opportunities. Kudos to him for being the biggest reason WH will host, and Portland will travel.

My only real annoyance with the game was that the officiating was suspect and did not live up to the reputation of a Portland-WH game. I do not believe that it would have changed the outcome of the game, but I believe it could have made the game even more exciting. WH was unable to stop #10 for Portland, who had at least 6 shots on goal in the second half, except by playing him overly aggressive (a couple times I thought they were too aggressive in the box). A couple calls to clean that up would have freed him up a bit more to be creative and perhaps get a few more exciting opportunities. But no calls were made, Portland moved on, and had more than enough chances to pull this game out.

Congrats to WH on their championship and good luck in your sectional on Saturday. Portland will play at Chattanooga Christian at 7:00 pm eastern. This should be a very good game, better than people in the state expect, and I am looking forward to the trip. BDP FAN, you and your team were a class act this year, and I wish you nothing but the best. Like I said, It would only be perfect if we met again next Saturday. (Not likely, but, man, that would be fun.)

Wow. I'm in shock. I have more respect for White House now than any other team I've ever played. They may not be as good as some of the teams LA has played, but man... They come out hard to win. Dang. Congratulations, White House. I look forward to playing you guys again next year.

That was truly a great game, and as much as I hate to say it, White House earned every bit of that 1-0 win. White House won the game in the first 30 minutes, as they definitely were the team that came out with something to prove, attacking every ball and eventually catching a Portland back out of position... nice through ball and a good goal. What is interesting to note is that that shot was the only real WH shot on goal (there was one weak shot that I'm not sure would've counted as a save). That shows you just how important every possession is and that teams, no matter how good or bad, only need one chance to pull off the shocker, and that is what happened tonight.

BDP FAN may have understated it when he said that WH survived an onslaught of offensive pressure in the second half. Portland applied an INSANE amount of pressure generating numerous scoring opportunities. The keeper from WH deserves two cookies and a date with the girl of his choice after his performance tonight. It wasn't that the saves were spectacular or incredible; it was that he held onto every one of them and prevented any and all rebound opportunities. Kudos to him for being the biggest reason WH will host, and Portland will travel.

My only real annoyance with the game was that the officiating was suspect and did not live up to the reputation of a Portland-WH game. I do not believe that it would have changed the outcome of the game, but I believe it could have made the game even more exciting. WH was unable to stop #10 for Portland, who had at least 6 shots on goal in the second half, except by playing him overly aggressive (a couple times I thought they were too aggressive in the box). A couple calls to clean that up would have freed him up a bit more to be creative and perhaps get a few more exciting opportunities. But no calls were made, Portland moved on, and had more than enough chances to pull this game out.

Congrats to WH on their championship and good luck in your sectional on Saturday. Portland will play at Chattanooga Christian at 7:00 pm eastern. This should be a very good game, better than people in the state expect, and I am looking forward to the trip. BDP FAN, you and your team were a class act this year, and I wish you nothing but the best. Like I said, It would only be perfect if we met again next Saturday. (Not likely, but, man, that would be fun.)

Smitty, I agree with most of what you've stated here but not entirely. I thought the officiating was very good. You saw that #10 kinda got pushed around a bit too much and I saw it that he (#10) "flopped" quit a bit. He did his fair share of pushing off hard to get and maintain possession. But hey, that's going to happen in a highly contested soccer game playing for the Regional Championship. I saw some very good calls made for both teams and I saw a few no calls on both teams. But overall, during the game the officials weren't really noticed and in my opinion, that makes for a very well officiated game.